Have you installed Windows 11 ?

thesa

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

Look at all the poorer countries with big populations around the world.  Affordability is an issue, even more so in the current economic climate.

A fallacy typical of bad economics, most commonly used among our doomsters to impart a false sense of prophetic certainty: ceteris paribus. Hot air not worth addressing.

You are clinging to one word, "flop."

Merely addressed your illogical definition. Then, as is usual with specious argumentation, you moved the goalpost by changing the common definition and then clinging to that, as if it means anything. Hee. And I invited you to please yourself with your very shrewd Windows Market Analysis. ???? Yet here you are ba-a-ck bickering more. 

I tried, but I think you may need some help, very soon, in getting yourself out of this loop.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1

If people are having issues upgradign to win 11 from 10 because it says the machine won't support win 11 then the issue is most likely lack of secure boot. You don't need secure boot and the upgrade checks for secure boot, CPU and RAM can be overridden in regedit.

I just installed win 11 in a VM on my ubuntu machine and I had t make these changes because VirtualBox needs secure boot disabled.

I have 2 main computers, an ASUS PN51 mini running ubuntu and an Apple mac mini m2. I recommend the mac mini for most people. They are not overly expensive these days and it's a far better operating system than windows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, In Full Agreement said:

What about security updates?

I feel confident I can survive w/o security updates. Besides Windows Defender, I run a Malwarebytes scan weekly, never finds anything. I practice safe browsing (w/ helpful addons), downloading, opening attachments, etc. I backup regularly in such a way I can restore w/o losing much.

But on my spare machine I'm dual booting Linux OpenSUSE TW with Windows IoT LTSC, with security updating thru 2032. Runs great and lacks the bloat of Win 10 Pro. I may install it on my main machine as well. At some point, between now and 2032, I may decide Win 11 is worth moving to, or just change to Linux.

Edited by BigStar

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

I feel confident I can survive w/o security updates. Besides Windows Defender, I run a Malwarebytes scan weekly, never finds anything. I practice safe browsing (w/ helpful addons), downloading, opening attachments, etc.

But on my spare machine I'm dual booting Linux OpenSUSE TW with Windows IoT LTSC, with security updating thru 2032. Runs great and lacks the bloat of Win 10 Pro. I may install it on my main machine as well. At some point, between now and 2032, I may decide Win 11 is worth moving to, or just change to Linux.

+1 for linux. I run ubuntu and have done for 12 years now. No chance of a virus. Eventually, the o/s will not support newer ciphers although that would take years to become an issue. It's definitely so for win 7 now. Nothing like free upgrades and no virus worries.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

+1 for linux. I run ubuntu and have done for 12 years now. No chance of a virus. Eventually, the o/s will not support newer ciphers although that would take years to become an issue. It's definitely so for win 7 now. Nothing like free upgrades and no virus worries.

I have W11 Pro on two PCs, free updates and Windows Defender seem to work for me.

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

If people are having issues upgradign to win 11 from 10 because it says the machine won't support win 11 then the issue is most likely lack of secure boot. You don't need secure boot and the upgrade checks for secure boot, CPU and RAM can be overridden in regedit.

I have mentioned there is a workaround.  As October 2025 nears, I'll give the workaround a try, but how many people out there would not be confident of having a go at it, particularly the elderly? 

I've installed Windows 11.

However, barely use a laptop now with my Samsung Ultra 22 phone more than capable and convenient than a laptop. 

Laptop is convenient for watching Videos in a pinch though. 

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I have W11 Pro on two PCs, free updates and Windows Defender seem to work for me.

Did you buy new hardware with 11 pre installed, or did you manually upgrade?  If you upgraded, do your machines have TPM?  If not, how did you go with the workaround?

Currently running on W10.

I will try to upgrade to W11 when I will have a specific need to do so.

I will have to use a hack to do it, because Microsoft doesn't want to upgrade my computer to W11, although my computer fulfills the formal requirements.

I have a laptop running a i7-4790k which checks all the boxes:

- TPM 2.0

- DirectX 12 with WDDM 2.7

- UEFI Secure Boot

yet MS says my device is incompatible.

42 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Did you buy new hardware with 11 pre installed, or did you manually upgrade?  If you upgraded, do your machines have TPM?  If not, how did you go with the workaround?

I don't think my NUC has TPM but I installed win 11 on it. 

There are several workarounds involving regedit, both of which I did and all's well. Google it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Of course, the workaround for the TPM issue may be made simple by the guys at Github and maybe a download will do all the heavy work to get around the TPM issue.  If so, 11 will be adopted by the masses. 

There is one workaround actually on the Microsoft site simply involving regedits.

2 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Here the regedit bypass. Solution 3 is the one you want, ignore the VirtualBox part unless you are installing windows in a VM.

https://www.minitool.com/news/this-pc-cant-run-windows-11-on-virtualbox.html

Download windows 11 from https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

Edited by ozimoron

3 minutes ago, markclover said:

If it's anything like 8 and 10 they can keep it.

W10 isn't that complicated, but you can install the W7 menu for people like you and still be confident of security updates....????

On 4/4/2023 at 6:42 PM, transam said:

W10 isn't that complicated, but you can install the W7 menu for people like you and still be confident of security updates....????

I'm quite capable of dealing with the "complexity" of Win 10, but I prefer the W7 menu. It's a lot more convenient out of the box what with flyouts etc. By spending the necessary time and tedium, you can of course civilize the Win 10 Start menu to get out of the type/search/scroll loops to find something, but why bother, unless you just have nothing else to do?

4 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I'm quite capable of dealing with the "complexity" of Win 10, but I prefer the W7 menu. It's a lot more convenient out of the box what with flyouts etc. By spending the necessary time and tedium, you can of course civilize the Win 10 Start menu to get out of the type/search/scroll loops to find something, but why bother, unless you just have nothing else to do?

I find that to be the biggest reason to switch to linux or macos, essentially the same thing. I use both but more comfy with linux these days. I do run win 11 pro in a VM on my linux machine.

On 3/16/2023 at 6:13 PM, KannikaP said:

Why did you not keep Vista or W8?

I know that is not addressed to me, but for what I do windows 7 is far, far better than 10, which I loath, though I had no alternative when I had to buy another computer as I'm keeping the 7 for the things I need to do on it.

Far as I'm concerned 10 is inferior to 7, so I'm certainly not going to change to 11. However I expect that vile company will do it's best to force us to change even if we have no need to do so.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I find that to be the biggest reason to switch to linux or macos, essentially the same thing. I use both but more comfy with linux these days. I do run win 11 pro in a VM on my linux machine.

The Linux DEs take the classic paradigm to a whole new level. Easy access to everything, beautiful, configurable in ways inconceivable in Windows. Configurability is in general one of the features of Linux often cited by Linux users as most desirable. 'Course, that can get pretty geeky.  

Always a pleasure going into any of them, Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce, KDE. Currently enjoying Xfce on Fedora (laptop), KDE on OpenSUSE TW (spare).

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, BigStar said:

The Linux DEs take the classic paradigm to a whole new level. Easy access to everything, beautiful, configurable in ways inconceivable in Windows. Configurability is one of the features of Linux often cited by Linux users as most desirable. 'Course, that can get pretty geeky.  

Always a pleasure going into any of them, Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce, KDE. Currently enjoying Xfce on Fedora (laptop), KDE on OpenSUSE TW (spare).

You didn't mention the big one. Ubuntu. The only thing I don't like about Ubuntu is snap. I make sure I use apt instead. I do tend to live in terminal a lot but mainly because I develop a lot and my job involves cloud linux support.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I know that is not addressed to me, but for what I do windows 7 is far, far better than 10, which I loath, though I had no alternative when I had to buy another computer as I'm keeping the 7 for the things I need to do on it.

Far as I'm concerned 10 is inferior to 7, so I'm certainly not going to change to 11. However I expect that vile company will do it's best to force us to change even if we have no need to do so.

What can you do on W7 which you cannot on W11?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You didn't mention the big one. Ubuntu. The only thing I don't like about Ubuntu is snap. I make sure I use apt instead. I do tend to live in terminal a lot but mainly because I develop a lot and my job involves cloud linux support.

Ubuntu isn't a DE, actually, If the default Gnome isn't your fave (it isn't mine, actually, though I respect it), you can easily install another or choose one of the Ubuntu spins or flavors.

You'll be gratified to know that Ubuntu is abandoning Snap:

Enough of it! Ubuntu to Ditch Snap Completely With 24.04 LTS Naughty Nightingale

It's not backing down on eschewing Flatpak for now. Of course, it's easy enough to install Flatpak anyway. I'd imagine Ubuntu will eventually follow the tide and include it by default.

Far as using Ubuntu, w/o going into great detail, I prefer some features of Fedora and OpenSUSE TW. In the latter, I love the rolling release aspect and Btrfs rollback.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Ubuntu isn't a DE, actually, If the default Gnome isn't your fave (it isn't mine, actually, though I respect it), you can easily install another or choose one of the Ubuntu spins or flavors.

You'll be gratified to know that Ubuntu is abandoning Snap:

Enough of it! Ubuntu to Ditch Snap Completely With 24.04 LTS Naughty Nightingale

It's not backing down on eschewing Flatpak for now. Of course, it's easy enough to install Flatpak anyway. I'd imagine Ubuntu will eventually follow the tide and include it by default.

I hope that Ubuntu does include flatpack. I only use the UI to click on the icons to open apps, nothing more so I don't care if I use unity or gnome.

My issues with snap started recently with the Slack app which continually crashed until I installed it under apt. Now I have been purging it from my system.

My reason for installing Windows 11 is because I use flutter for cross platform development and having unresolved issues with unsigned msix installers. I use Codemagic to compile the code for windows. I only just bought the win 11 pro key from Banana this week.

Edited by ozimoron

Update for any struggling Dell users especially 7790 model you need to disable "safe boot" by pressing F2 on start up after first finding your "bit locker key" 48 digits long in windows that you will need on startup  what a faff for an update but it works ????

On 4/4/2023 at 4:53 AM, BigStar said:

A fallacy typical of bad economics, most commonly used among our doomsters to impart a false sense of prophetic certainty: ceteris paribus. Hot air not worth addressing.

I disagree it's a fallacy.

People in poor countries are, well, poor.  They can't afford to just go and buy a new computer for the latest operating system.   

Even many in western countries are now feeling the their finances squeezed with interest rate rises, higher taxes, inflation, and the higher cost of living.  If they have a computer that's working, upgrading may be a luxury the can't afford. 

On 4/4/2023 at 4:53 AM, BigStar said:

Merely addressed your illogical definition. Then, as is usual with specious argumentation, you moved the goalpost by changing the common definition and then clinging to that, as if it means anything. Hee. And I invited you to please yourself with your very shrewd Windows Market Analysis. ???? Yet here you are ba-a-ck bickering more. 

I tried, but I think you may need some help, very soon, in getting yourself out of this loop.

I'm not bickering, and I haven't moved the goal posts.  I am simply disagreeing with you, and told you why.

I find it funny that you said you will be staying with Windows 11, yet it will not "flop."  Well, it's "flopped" with you, and "flopped" with me, and how many others?  :smile:

If we had access to Microsoft's data, I would not be surprised if 11 had the slowest uptake of all of Microsoft's operating systems.  

Your argument is it will not flop because eventually all machines fail, and new machines must be purchased.  I agreed with this, it's the obvious, but unless they address the TPM issue (they now have, which I will address in another post) I couldn't see it being widely adopted by the Windows 10 end of life date.  

On 4/4/2023 at 10:51 AM, ozimoron said:

Here the regedit bypass. Solution 3 is the one you want, ignore the VirtualBox part unless you are installing windows in a VM.

https://www.minitool.com/news/this-pc-cant-run-windows-11-on-virtualbox.html

Download windows 11 from https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

Over a year ago I had a look for some work arounds and found the below clip that explains a lot about the TPM.

This guy has a good channel with over 15m subs.  I have watched some of his other clips over the years. 

After watching this clip, I formed my opinion and haven't really looked into Windows 11 since.  Watching this clip is why I said the work around may not be able to be done by many users. 

It appears things were not going so well with the Windows 11 uptake, some may even say its introduction "flopped."  :smile: 

Fast forward a little and Microsoft have realized they made an error and it's now as easy as what's in the clip below.

Maybe the whole TPM thing in Windows 11 was just a publicity stunt. 

• Like 1

It appears things were not going so well with the Windows 11 uptake, some may even say its introduction "flopped."  :smile: 

But that would be sour grapes, in this case.

Fast forward a little and Microsoft have realized they made an error

And failed to inform Windows Update, right. Where may I download Rufus from Microsoft with instructions?

Maybe the whole TPM thing in Windows 11 was just a publicity stunt. 

No.

On 4/6/2023 at 4:40 PM, KannikaP said:

What can you do on W7 which you cannot on W11?

I have no idea what is on 11, but 7 is way more easy to use than 10, Eg to create a new folder on 7 I just click the new folder box, but on 10 I have to change to home and then create a new folder, and the replacement for the snipping tool on 10 is an abomination, compared to the one on 7.

Little things I know, but make 10 less easy to work with, when they didn't have to change it.

Far as I'm concerned they only stopped supporting 7 to try and force people to buy a later OS- just greed.