Have you installed Windows 11 ?

thesa

17 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

What about Windows XP?

I think it was Windows XP that many people around the world became familiar with computing.  It will be fondly remembered, but for me,

Windows 7 took it to another level. 

I still have the desktop gadgets for weather, CPU, currency exchange, network etc.  

Microsoft can stick their "tiles" when the sun doesn't shine.   :smile:

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, FlorC said:

Everytime they get out something new , I have to search to get rid of it , like the big B (bing) in edge.

Due to many people seeking a workaround to get rid of the big "B" for bing in the Edge browser, Microsoft has now made a setting where you can disable it. 

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

Always a ton of debloating and tweaking to do. Stop as much telemetry as possible. Get rid of Cortana, stop internet search, etc.

One of the first programs I install.  Windows 10 debloater.  It stops telemetry as well. 

https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

When I first got Windows 10 there were games and all sorts of rubbish on there.

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

Yeah, what's with that. I use MPC-BE. For images, Faststone Image Viewer. PDFs, PDF-XChange. Browsing, Firefox Developer and others. Music, foobar; I see Winamp's finally got an update and release. 'Course, you have to fight M'soft for the default everything.

You don't like VLC?

VLC has played anything I have ever thrown at it.   

17 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Hardly. But if you really want to stay with Win 10 longer, install Win 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC and get extended support until 2032.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-iot-enterprise-ltsc-2021

Why do you say "hardly."  Do you think hundreds of millions of people, all around the world, will go and buy a new computer as the Windows 10 end of life date nears?  I can't see it, especially in poorer nations. 

I'll check out the link, thanks, but I am not throwing away my computers just because they haven't got the TPM, or whatever it is. 

A while ago I had a look at the workarounds.  I think I can handle doing them, but I think millions will not be able to do it.  If so, that would mean Windows 11 would be the least used operating system they ever released, until maybe 5 or 10 years later, as people across the world slowly buy new hardware.   

Edited by KhunHeineken

23 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Why do you say "hardly."  Do you think hundreds of millions of people, all around the world, will go and buy a new computer as the Windows 10 end of life date nears? 

No. But they'll buy one eventually. No big rush, as Win 11 continues profitable and updating, its market share growing.

Yah, same old pattern. If it were going to "flop," it would have already. It's received little of the vitriol that quickly ended WinMe, Vista, and Win 8. That's 'cause M'soft learned something from those debacles. Win 11 is in fact a worthy, if unneeded, successor to 10. 

37 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I am not throwing away my computers just because they haven't got the TPM, or whatever it is.

You can continue using Win 10 w/o security updates. Our experts will play the scary music if you do that, however.  Be afraid.

5 hours ago, BigStar said:

I've never bothered w/ Windows Explorer, always used Total Commander, one of my essential utilities. Big jobs, I put in the background and carry on with other stuff. Tracks amount copied in realtime. Customizable toolbar, so I have icons linked to folders, scripts, and programs. Appearance customizable, lots of options. Tabbed in both panes. Can be portable, so I also have it on a utilities thumbdrive.

The trouble with using third party apps to "mold" windows to your liking , like your "Total Commander " or changing the look of W 11 , is that W11 is a OS that is not finished . With every update , if anything goes wrong , you wonder whether it is one of these changer apps or something more invasive as an other file explore.

2 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I think it was Windows XP that many people around the world became familiar with computing.  It will be fondly remembered, but for me,

Windows 7 took it to another level. 

I still have the desktop gadgets for weather, CPU, currency exchange, network etc.  

Microsoft can stick their "tiles" when the sun doesn't shine.   :smile:

Lots of truth in there , for me that is.

Now I must say that I had (still have)  XP media center edition , which is much nicer looking than plain XP.

1 minute ago, FlorC said:

The trouble with using third party apps to "mold" windows to your liking , like your "Total Commander " or changing the look of W 11 , is that W11 is a OS that is not finished . With every update , if anything goes wrong , you wonder whether it is one of these changer apps or something more invasive as an other file explore.

Funny. Total Commander has been around since 1993 and has an active support forum. It isn't "molding" anything, any more than the VLC media player molds anything, so that idea is merely clueless.

If you thought a Windows Update created an incompatibility with a third-party utility, then you'd simply update the utility or uninstall the utility and wait for either a fix from M'soft or from the vendor. Or you could uninstall the Update until it's fixed. You'd look for any news on the subject, ask in a Win support forum.

In short, you wouldn't start clutching your pearls and retire to your fainting couch.

It's rare that the incompatibility would create some completely unrelated problem. Windows itself is good at creating those, however. You can go read countless complaints over on reddit: https://reddit.com/r/Windows11/.

Me, I'm not scared, just see no reason I should fool around with 11 when I'm happy with 10 and it's already optimized for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Funny. Total Commander has been around since 1993 and has an active support forum. It isn't "molding" anything, any more than the VLC media player molds anything, so that idea is merely clueless.

If you thought a Windows Update created an incompatibility with a third-party utility, then you'd simply update the utility or uninstall the utility and wait for either a fix from M'soft or from the vendor. Or you could uninstall the Update until it's fixed. You'd look for any news on the subject, ask in a Win support forum.

In short, you wouldn't start clutching your pearls and retire to your fainting couch.

It's rare that the incompatibility would create some completely unrelated problem. Windows itself is good at creating those, however. You can go read countless complaints over on reddit: https://reddit.com/r/Windows11/.

Me, I'm not scared, just see no reason I should fool around with 11 when I'm happy with 10 and it's already optimized for me.

I agree with you.

A computer, or any device, is there to benefit the user and the user is free to tailor it however he/she wants!

It is like saying you cannot mod your car/MC to suit your needs as some factory mod might not quite work as intended if you do so.

3 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

You don't like VLC?

VLC has played anything I have ever thrown at it.   

On Windows I prefer MPC-BE because I like the interface better out of the box. I particularly like the pause/resume-on-screen-click feature. It plays all I need it to play. I use VLC on Linux and my Android box (in addition to Kodi, on the latter). Rarely, there's something in particular VLC can do, like hardcode subtitles if I really want to for some reason.

Edited by BigStar

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

And does your Ford Anglia still run with inner tubes in the tyres and a valve radio?   555

But there you were loving Live Tiles because M'soft imposed them on you. Thank you, Bill Gates. But then--M'soft discontinued the Live Tiles! WOT??? 

Actually, all tiles can be got out of your face. Still, the Start menu requires even more time-wasting customization to get more usefulness out of it. The Win 7 Start menu's pretty great as is.

21 minutes ago, lelapin said:

Great. Thanks. How do you get rid of this filling half the screen even when you just hover over it?

image.png.3ef263c74f09bd1afdedecb68dfebcbe.png

The hover over  engages the leftside widget screen , I think ( it's been more than a month that I disabled it ).

I did the ultimate : No widgets , not just hide them , but no news feeds loading in the background using my internet connection.

Like I said , I did this right after I bought the computer , so I don't remember, but I kept this link:

Because when do a clean install , I'll need to do it again.

Microsoft said that in the future they will allow 3rd party widgets , not just their cr_p and MSN feeds . But even then I don't want it.

20 minutes ago, BigStar said:

On Windows I prefer MPC-BE because I like the interface better out of the box. I particularly like the pause-on-screen-click feature. It plays all I need it to play. I use VLC on Linux and my Android box (in addition to Kodi, on the latter). Rarely, there's something in particular VLC can do, like hardcode subtitles if I really want to for some reason.

Tried VLC twice , didn't like it. I use KMPlayer . I like how I can change the size of the subs , audio sync, with just some shortcuts on the keyboard. One click to full size and back. 

MPC-BE is an option .

But I must say that with a faster 4k screen , in many recent uploads in 264 and 265 , movement in video's is less smooth.

On 3/30/2023 at 8:05 AM, BigStar said:

No. But they'll buy one eventually. No big rush, as Win 11 continues profitable and updating, its market share growing.

If Windows 11 is still around in 10 years time, sure, it will be the most widely used Windows OS, as old hardware needs to be replace, but my point is, around the time support for Windows 10 ceases, due to hardware incompatibility, Windows 11 may be the least adopted OS Microsoft have released, and it could take years for it to become mainstream. 

Yah, same old pattern. If it were going to "flop," it would have already. It's received little of the vitriol that quickly ended WinMe, Vista, and Win 8. That's 'cause M'soft learned something from those debacles. Win 11 is in fact a worthy, if unneeded, successor to 10. 

Not really the same old pattern though, is it?

The same machines when from Vista, to &, to 10, but these machines can not easily go to 11, if at all.

I have an old laptop that had factory installed Vista, which I ten put 7 on it, and then upgraded to 10 on it, but it can't take 11, without a hack, and that's not guaranteed. 

You can continue using Win 10 w/o security updates. Our experts will play the scary music if you do that, however.  Be afraid.

Yes, but doesn't this comment tend to agree with my point?  Millions all around the world, for many years, may very well do just that, keep using 10, and not move to 11, which is why I said, 11 may be the least used OS Microsoft ever released. 

On 3/15/2023 at 1:58 PM, 007 RED said:

The only gripe that I have is that it seems to take somewhat longer to boot up than my old PC with Windows 8.1, but that is possibly just me being a little impatient.

Are you booting from an SSD? 

On 3/30/2023 at 9:24 AM, FlorC said:

Never had a problem with Classic / Open Shell. 

On 3/30/2023 at 10:53 AM, BigStar said:

But there you were loving Live Tiles because M'soft imposed them on you. Thank you, Bill Gates. But then--M'soft discontinued the Live Tiles! WOT??? 

Actually, all tiles can be got out of your face. Still, the Start menu requires even more time-wasting customization to get more usefulness out of it. The Win 7 Start menu's pretty great as is.

Remember when the "Start" icon disappeared.  There was a huge uproar about it.  It's what kicked off Classic Shell development. 

Obviously, MS didn't do their user research very well to see that a high percentage of uses rely heavily on the "Start" icon.  

Some things by big companies end up being part of their branding, and to not recognize that is a big failure of developers and management.

It appears to me that change is now just for change's sake, and does not necessarily benefit the user.  They need to survey a broad amount of users and listen to their requests / feedback.   

• Like 1

Yes, but doesn't this comment tend to agree with my point?  Millions all around the world, for many years, may very well do just that, keep using 10, and not move to 11, which is why I said, 11 may be the least used OS Microsoft ever released. 

No. Being "least used" is merely your own speculation and doesn't mean "flop" anyway in the sense of Me, Vista, or 8. "Taking years" doesn't mean "flop." You're simply moving the goalpost and applying an unobvious perspective.

Not really the same old pattern though, is it?

Same old pattern as people will upgrade their machines, notably the corporate market, and adopt Win 11. Machines that ran Win 3.1 won't run Win 10. Eventually your upgrade path comes to an end.

M'soft has never guaranteed backward compatibility and has released updated hardware requirements w/ each OS. Most machines could upgrade, but then they might not run well, so motivating, in the average case, the purchase of a new machine. Furthermore, Win 11 does have some desirable features, for some at least, that Win 10 doesn't have. Improvements and additions will continue until Win 11 looks superior.

I saw a rumor the other day about a Win 12 w/ a different architecture. Wait and see.

Are you done with this tedious bicker? Cling to "flop" if that makes you feel like a shrewd Windows Market Analyst. I dunno why people confuse me with somebody who gives a s**t.

Edited by BigStar

2 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Are you booting from an SSD? 

Yes.... Both the original and new PCs have 250GB SSD for the operating system.  All my data (docs, pictures, music etc are loaded on a separate 500GB SSD.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

No. Being "least used" is merely your own speculation and doesn't mean "flop" anyway in the sense of Me, Vista, or 8. "Taking years" doesn't mean "flop." You're simply moving the goalpost and applying an unobvious perspective.

So, if people stay on 10 until the end of support, and they can't afford a new machine, they just stay on 10, right? 

Look at all the poorer countries with big populations around the world.  Affordability is an issue, even more so in the current economic climate.

You said it yourself, 10 does everything you want it to do, as it would for most people, and if they can't afford a new machine, they won't be migrating to 11.

That means 11 will not be widely adopted until years and years later, as hardware slowly fails.  

Of course, the workaround for the TPM issue may be made simple by the guys at Github and maybe a download will do all the heavy work to get around the TPM issue.  If so, 11 will be adopted by the masses. 

Same old pattern as people will upgrade their machines, notably the corporate market, and adopt Win 11. Machines that ran Win 3.1 won't run Win 10. Eventually your upgrade path comes to an end.

Sure, but this will take years and years, particularly in poorer countries. 

M'soft has never guaranteed backward compatibility and has released updated hardware requirements w/ each OS. Most machines could upgrade, but then they might not run well, so motivating, in the average case, the purchase of a new machine. Furthermore, Win 11 does have some desirable features, for some at least, that Win 10 doesn't have. Improvements and additions will continue until Win 11 looks superior.

I saw a rumor the other day about a Win 12 w/ a different architecture. Wait and see.

Are you done with this tedious bicker? Cling to "flop" if that makes you feel like a shrewd Windows Market Analyst. I dunno why people confuse me with somebody who gives a s**t.

MS can "motivate" all they like, but that doesn't put money in people's pocket to be able to afford a new machine.

Can you give a couple of examples of desirable features of 11?

Funny you mention 12.  I would not be surprised if the whole TPM thing sees a big percentage of users simply stay with 10, so they bring out 12 which doesn't need a TPM, and boom, most people migrate over, because they can.

You are clinging to one word, "flop."  If I changed that word and said, "many people will not buy a new machine in 2025 because they can't afford one" would that make you happy?  

Imagine a company that bought out an app that only runs on Android 13.  How many people do you think would be using the app?  Sure, eventually most, but not after years and years until their current phone dies.  MS have done the same with 11. 

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1