Have you installed Windows 11 ?

thesa

Windows 11 came on my new Ryzen 5000 Acer Swift X.

I am amazed at its functionality, especially the AI.

The only issue I have so far past 3 months is that I get the black screen of death with an auto restart about once a week. It only last a few seconds.

I think there may be some software compatibility issues which should eventually sort itself out with updates.

I have a massive spec Dell 7590 oled and it won't install hangs on reboot then forced to roll back x5 times everything is updated to the max its a known but unrectified Dell problem beware if you have this brand ????

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, 007 RED said:

My old faithful PC had been running Windows 8.1 Pro for a good few years.  Main use has been processing my digital wildlife photos using Photoshop.  Because Microsoft announced that they were ceasing security support for Windows 8.1 with effect from January 2023, I considered opting for their free upgrade to Windows 10.  However, on running their upgrade tool I discovered that my hardware was not compatible for the upgrade.

I, therefore, decided late last year that it was time to build a new PC with a high end spec and install Windows 11 Pro.  All went well with the build, and the installation of Windows 11 Pro was a sinch.

20220901_134805-_iv.jpg.5822c637ada77c5dcaa454f60ebe4b6e.jpg

The only problem that I initially encountered was getting to grips with the layout of the operating system, namely, where everything was located and then modifying file locations to suite my needs.  It was quite a learning curve for a 76 year old.  That said, I’ve been using it now for about 5 months and so far I’ve found it a very reliable operating system.

The only gripe that I have is that it seems to take somewhat longer to boot up than my old PC with Windows 8.1, but that is possibly just me being a little impatient.

My new low spec laptop takes 6.1 secs, big difference than my old crappier one with win10.

What is your boot time? Task Mgr keeps a record.

How many seconds is yours?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

My new low spec laptop takes 6.1 secs, big difference than my old crappier one with win10.

where is this info in Task Mgr please?

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Why did you not keep Vista or W8?

Because Win 10 is better. Win 8.1 is pretty good, though.

I remember well our ace cutting-edge hi-tech gurus sneering why I stayed with Win 7 instead of following their lead to--Vista!???? I love this forum.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Because Win 10 is better. Win 8.1 is pretty good, though.

I remember well our ace cutting-edge hi-tech gurus sneering why I stayed with Win 7 instead of following their lead to--Vista!???? I love this forum.

in what way is 10 better than 11 please. convince me and I shall downgrade.

did you try 11?

Edited by KannikaP

22 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

in what way is 10 better than 11 please. convince me and I shall downgrade.

did you try 11?

What feature of Win 11 do I need that would make the bother of upgrading worthwhile? No, you would never downgrade; laughable bait. And why I should bother wasting time trying Win 11 when I'm perfectly happy with Win 10? It's tuned, tweaked, slim, beautiful, totally reliable, and very private. I know what I'm doing.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, BigStar said:

What feature of Win 11 do I need that would make the bother of upgrading worthwhile? No, you would never downgrade; laughable bait. And why I should bother wasting time trying Win 11 when I'm perfectly happy with Win 10? It's tuned, tweaked, slim, beautiful, totally reliable, and very private. I know what I'm doing.

How do know what features there are in 11 if you have never tried it. I too know what I am doing.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LosLobo said:

I didn't know that. Thanks. 

Mine took 3.4s last time. W10. 

On 3/15/2023 at 1:58 PM, 007 RED said:

My old faithful PC had been running Windows 8.1 Pro for a good few years.  Main use has been processing my digital wildlife photos using Photoshop.  Because Microsoft announced that they were ceasing security support for Windows 8.1 with effect from January 2023, I considered opting for their free upgrade to Windows 10.  However, on running their upgrade tool I discovered that my hardware was not compatible for the upgrade.

I, therefore, decided late last year that it was time to build a new PC with a high end spec and install Windows 11 Pro.  All went well with the build, and the installation of Windows 11 Pro was a sinch.

20220901_134805-_iv.jpg.5822c637ada77c5dcaa454f60ebe4b6e.jpg

The only problem that I initially encountered was getting to grips with the layout of the operating system, namely, where everything was located and then modifying file locations to suite my needs.  It was quite a learning curve for a 76 year old.  That said, I’ve been using it now for about 5 months and so far I’ve found it a very reliable operating system.

The only gripe that I have is that it seems to take somewhat longer to boot up than my old PC with Windows 8.1, but that is possibly just me being a little impatient.

not doing to bad if at 76 years old you built your own computer. Out of interest what was the cost? Was wondering about buying a new computer in the UK and bringing it back so interested price comparison