What health insurance company?

Captor

5 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

I agree that a conventional health/medical insurer will most often have a statement that the policies are underwritten by AXA, or Allianz, or Zurich, or maybe a Bermuda based insurer.

WrLife often states that they are not a conventional health insurer.

i might start offering health insurance to expats at a cheap price so it's irresistible, of course I'll pay out if claims are small but will deny big claims that way i can make a lot of money, no brainer really

42 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i might start offering health insurance to expats at a cheap price so it's irresistible, of course I'll pay out if claims are small but will deny big claims that way i can make a lot of money, no brainer really

Sounds like a sure-fire idea.  Best of luck.

But then you have to be prepared for opinions like this:

That they have so far paid Claims is no assurance they will be able to continue to so. Especially given what seems to be very low capital. And what to me is a financially unsustainable  business model. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1268153-wrlife-medical-insurance-experiences/?do=findComment&comment=17529956

Edited by jerrymahoney

In case the OP guy is still reading this:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1268153-wrlife-medical-insurance-experiences/?do=findComment&comment=17530780

My due diligence came as, after 5 years with the blue-chip CIGNA Global, I needed to make a change because I was moving to an area where CIGNA G had no direct billing. At age 70, my options were limited. I saw that WrLife offered a policy with similar annual coverage to CIGNA but there was a big jump in annual premiums from age 70 to age 71 as I would turn in just a few months.

I had just been approved for a modest Thai life insurance policy so I had all the medical underwriting stuff easily at hand. I also had about a 40 entry back & forth email correspondence with P.Lorenz some of which I liked and some of which I didn't. But I decided that was the best route to go.

And when I think of the 'reservations' expressed by several contributors on here, I think of this line from Bonnie & Clyde (1967):

--and all's I can say is, they did right by me, and I'm bringin' me and a mess of flowers to their funeral.

Edited by jerrymahoney

7 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

In case the OP guy is still reading this:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1268153-wrlife-medical-insurance-experiences/?do=findComment&comment=17530780

My due diligence came as, after 5 years with the blue-chip CIGNA Global, I needed to make a change because I was moving to an area where CIGNA G had no direct billing. At age 70, my options were limited. I saw that WrLife offered a policy with similar annual coverage to CIGNA but there was a big jump in annual premiums from age 70 to age 71 as I would turn in just a few months.

I had just been approved for a modest Thai life insurance policy so I had all the medical underwriting stuff easily at hand. I also had about a 40 entry back & forth email correspondence with P.Lorenz some of which I liked and some of which I didn't. But I decided that was the best route to go.

And when I think of the 'reservations' expressed by several contributors on here, I think of this line from Bonnie & Clyde (1967):

--and all's I can say is, they did right by me, and I'm bringin' me and a mess of flowers to their funeral.

Thank you very much, Jerrymahoney. I have not seen this link as I did not searched for WRLife particularly. However there is very nice information in that link. I wonder about one thing when it comes to WRLife. Why do they have Dental/Optical cover "on the side"? OK, I can understand Dental but why Optical? That means if I not chose that extra then my eyes are not insured? It is like the insurance is for the whole body but WRLIfe wont insure left kidney and the legs for example. Are my eyes not considered to be a part of the body?

15 minutes ago, Captor said:

Thank you very much, Jerrymahoney. I have not seen this link as I did not searched for WRLife particularly. However there is very nice information in that link. I wonder about one thing when it comes to WRLife. Why do they have Dental/Optical cover "on the side"? OK, I can understand Dental but why Optical? That means if I not chose that extra then my eyes are not insured? It is like the insurance is for the whole body but WRLIfe wont insure left kidney and the legs for example. Are my eyes not considered to be a part of the body?

Quite common for insurers to exclude optical, theu don't want to pay for cataract surgery which is almost gauranteed

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Captor said:

Likely because they do not want to pay for new glasses every year. 

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Quite common for insurers to exclude optical, theu don't want to pay for cataract surgery which is almost gauranteed

Dear Scuba, is it? OK, I did not know that. But so are many other issues like cancer for example. OK, not guaranteed but maybe 30-40% I guess.

OK so if that is about 150 000 THB of what and I pay extra for that maybe 2000 THB/month? Cataract is only 1 time in life so then maybe better I exclude that and pay by myself when/if that comes.

What are the most expats here doing? Exclude?

15 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Likely because they do not want to pay for new glasses every year. 

Really? I can not believe that is included in the insurance. But what do I know? Lately I have found out, not very much... ????

1 minute ago, Captor said:

Really? I can not believe that is included in the insurance. But what do I know? Lately I have found out, not very much... ????

I had optical and it paid for lenses every year and frames every tw0. 

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I had optical and it paid for lenses every year and frames every tw0. 

Wow! I did not se that one coming. OK, then I can more understand the exclusion of Optics. And dentist is rather cheap in Thailand, at least compare to my original country, so that I am used to pay myself anyway. OK, very well. Thank you very much for the info about that!

As commented earlier, this topic has been done to death. But it involves how, or even if, one should spend thousands of dollars per year on health/medical insurance whil(st) living in Thailand. So I don't think it is too much to answer a bit when someone anew asks these same questions.

And I, for the most part, try to limit my responses to the question of someone who has had actual claims paid by WrLife. And then, sometimes, I can't help but react to the 'anyone who bought WrLife has bought a pig-in-a-poke' type responses.

Edited by jerrymahoney

57 minutes ago, Captor said:

Dear Scuba, is it? OK, I did not know that. But so are many other issues like cancer for example. OK, not guaranteed but maybe 30-40% I guess.

OK so if that is about 150 000 THB of what and I pay extra for that maybe 2000 THB/month? Cataract is only 1 time in life so then maybe better I exclude that and pay by myself when/if that comes.

Most people exclude outpatient (OPD), dentist and optical also may not be value for money after all most people want to reduce premiums because they will get very expensive maybe unaffordable when elderly 

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

As commented earlier, this topic has been done to death. But it involves how, or even if, one should spend thousands of dollars per year on health/medical insurance whil(st) living in Thailand. So I don't think it is too much to answer a bit when someone anew asks these same questions.

And I, for the most part, try to limit my responses to the question of someone who has had actual claims paid by WrLife. And then, sometimes, I can't help but react to the 'anyone who bought WrLife has bought a pig-in-a-poke' type responses.

Right, thanks! Yes the questions comes up from time to time and also we must consider that the questions are the same but the answers might change over time. If for example we see after some time, 4-5 years maybe, and longer, that some insurance company pays the claims or not. That can changer over time and is highly interesting for us all..

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Most people exclude outpatient (OPD), dentist and optical also may not be value for money after all most people want to reduce premiums because they will get very expensive maybe unaffordable when elderly 

I see. Yes I can understand that. And also different deductables I guess.

16 hours ago, Captor said:

Cataract is not optical.

Optical means things like glasses, contact lenses etc

Things like retinal detachment, cataracts etc are opthalmologic condition. Not optical. They would normally be included unless there was a pre-existing condition.

Some Thai companies routinely exlude not only cataracts but other diseases common in the elderly (e.g. prostate problems) if issuing a new policy to someone over a certain age.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Some Thai companies routinely exlude not only cataracts but other diseases common in the elderly (e.g. prostate problems) if issuing a new policy to someone over a certain age.

Pacific Cross excludes cataracts.  A friend had a detached retina surgery which caused the cataracts, they paid for the retina surgery not cataract, thai logic

Edited by scubascuba3

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Cataract is not optical.

Optical means things like glasses, contact lenses etc

Things like retinal detachment, cataracts etc are opthalmologic condition. Not optical. They would normally be included unless there was a pre-existing condition.

Thank you very much for clearing this up, Sheryl. Very helpful as usual ????

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Pacific Cross excludes cataracts.  A friend had a detached retina surgery which caused the cataracts, they paid for the retina surgery not cataract, thai logic

Amazing! I have read not so very nice reviews about Pacific Cross.