Swedish Man Arrested on Samui Island for 75 Days of Overstaying

webfact

On 3/16/2023 at 1:52 PM, Chivas said:

Bang him up

2 years should clarify his mind as to extensive overstaying and deter others as well

Next.......????

A bit ott? 75 days. It used to be years before some were caught. 

13 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I could say that demanding to see your papers is like 1930s Germany. But then I might be suspended from watching the BBC. Gary Lineker, come over here. We need you.

The French police have the power to demand on the spot your "papers", ID card, passport, residency card, driving licence but it's rare for that to happen unless you have been stopped or apprehended for other reasons

Provided you have entered France legally, which for residency there means for all except EU citizens a visa obtained in your home country and meet the residency conditions they issue foreigners ie: all non EU citizens living in France which now includes Brits,   with residency cards of varying validity duration depending on your reasons for being in France. These carry all your details in print and in an embedded chip. Without that you are a tourist. Tourists have up to 90 days in a rolling 180 day period which police can easily check by the dated entry stamp in passport at EU international border. On leaving if you are on overstay you can be fined and barred temporarily or permanently from returning to any EU country, not just France. They do also pursue those with continuing  "irregular" residency most commonly when a residency application has failed or being apprehended or stopped for other reasons. Unlike Thailand though failed applications, notices to leave and deportation orders can be appealed either on disputed facts or based on the European Human Rights Convention  a process which of itself can take a considerable time and the person is not usually incarcerated during that process unless a known criminal.

I hesitate to ask and pretty sure I know the answer 555 but does Thailand subscribe to any Human Rights agreements or courts?

1 hour ago, Kalasin Jo said:

A bit ott? 75 days. It used to be years before some were caught. 

The French police have the power to demand on the spot your "papers", ID card, passport, residency card, driving licence but it's rare for that to happen unless you have been stopped or apprehended for other reasons

Provided you have entered France legally, which for residency there means for all except EU citizens a visa obtained in your home country and meet the residency conditions they issue foreigners ie: all non EU citizens living in France which now includes Brits,   with residency cards of varying validity duration depending on your reasons for being in France. These carry all your details in print and in an embedded chip. Without that you are a tourist. Tourists have up to 90 days in a rolling 180 day period which police can easily check by the dated entry stamp in passport at EU international border. On leaving if you are on overstay you can be fined and barred temporarily or permanently from returning to any EU country, not just France. They do also pursue those with continuing  "irregular" residency most commonly when a residency application has failed or being apprehended or stopped for other reasons. Unlike Thailand though failed applications, notices to leave and deportation orders can be appealed either on disputed facts or based on the European Human Rights Convention  a process which of itself can take a considerable time and the person is not usually incarcerated during that process unless a known criminal.

I hesitate to ask and pretty sure I know the answer 555 but does Thailand subscribe to any Human Rights agreements or courts?

I believe that at one time, on a rotation basis, it headed the Human Rights Commission or whatever it's called at the UN. Funny, hmm? Tells you all you need to know about the worthiness of the UN.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 1:50 PM, Chelseafan said:

I know an overstay is a bit naughty but does this guy really need to be paraded in front of the press? It's not like he has killed anyone for Christ sake. Just stamp his passport with an exclusion and put him on the next plane and be done with it.

Agreed. Like it is worthy of a photo op and to write and publish an article. A lot of hatemongers on here saying send him to prison!  Lmao!  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

The POINT is it IS news, and we are reading about this criminal!!!!  We are all here talking about this NEWS, this criminal.   It is and will always be.

Go complain to the Thai police if you feel your "laws" are soooooooo superior, hahahhahahahahahhaaha

another farang who just doesn't get living in LOS!!!!!! lol

Are you drunk? 

12 hours ago, hotchilli said:

It's not just overstay... per-say, you are illegally staying in another country, not just extending your holiday by a few days?

In Europe you get housing, money and healthcare...

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

In your country also or you just want that for Thailand?  

"Just let people live where they like as long as obey laws..."

Make your mind up, that's exactly the situation with these reports, the foreigners are not obeying the laws that you're saying they should be obeying! 

I have made up my mind. The laws regarding human migration should be 100 percent eliminated. We can take up discussion of right to work, get public assistance, voting etc,, in another thread. 

• Sad 1

On 3/16/2023 at 2:33 PM, richard_smith237 said:

From the linked Article:

Does this mean the Police are patrolling checking the passports of foreigners now ???

Having police go up to tourists demanding to see their immigration status is not really a good thing for tourism....   The optics are quite appalling really. 

It's Samui. It's OK.

• Like 1

I believe the parading of transgressors in front of the press in the Thai manner is archaic and obviously about officers seeking publicity for reasons of pride, promotion or re-election.

Other countries may occasionally publicize cases to advise citizens of the extent of the problem, or be seeking budgetary increases, but generally would respect an individual's privacy. 

The posters who consider lengthy overstayers to be not really breaking the law, but instead are just good old boys contributing to the economy without bothering with red tape - how naive.

The main reasons someone overstays long term is a lack of funds to avail themselves of one of the many methods to continue living here. In some cases, they may be here because of problems with the law. I know of many crims from my country who come to Thailand and continue to ply their trade. I know that overstayers are more likely to have a criminal background than the average tourist. THey may even be "murderers."

For some who believe the abolition of country borders will instantly result in peaceful and harmonious mixing and coexistence of all peoples despite the massive differences in culture, wealth, law, religion, government, hygiene, health practices, etc., etc., good luck with that!

I don't want to be around for the first hundred years of that experiment.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, JoseThailand said:
On 3/16/2023 at 2:21 PM, FritsSikkink said:

It is not a bit naughty, it is a crime. Don't break the law if you don't want to be in the news.

Short overstay is not a crime but an offense

A crime is a violation of law, as is an offence, 'overstaying' is a violation of law.  

On 3/16/2023 at 1:50 PM, Chelseafan said:

I know an overstay is a bit naughty but does this guy really need to be paraded in front of the press? It's not like he has killed anyone for Christ sake. Just stamp his passport with an exclusion and put him on the next plane and be done with it.

It's a PR exercise.  Foreigners are bad, worse than Thais, dangerous so be careful, etc..  It all started when Thailand opened up to tourism again.  I think probably the clear reliance on tourism highlighted by the Thai economic performance during covid has led to a bit of bitterness and a resulting backlash.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I often wonder how they catch over stayers. In all the years I've been here I have never had anything to do with the police (apart from being checked on my motorbike). I would have thought someone on overstay would keep a very low profile.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

It's a PR exercise.  Foreigners are bad, worse than Thais, dangerous so be careful, etc..  It all started when Thailand opened up to tourism again.  I think probably the clear reliance on tourism highlighted by the Thai economic performance during covid has led to a bit of bitterness and a resulting backlash.

I suspect that the issue is more a lack of revenue during Covid.  ????

All of those free extensions that many people took advantage of.

Immigration are having to get their revenue stream going again. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

I really miss the pointing.  And the commentary describing the colour shorts they were wearing upon arrest.  And only a few police in the pictures, where are the other 10 limelight wannabes.  Reporting lately has gone to the (soi) dogs.

Overstay of a visa is a crime. Period. I thought that foreigners needed a return ticket when they fly to Thailand.

So a date of change for flight charge should be all that is needed for the tourist to fly back to his or her country.

I guess this would not be something that an Expat staying in Thailand might have knowledge of.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

Overstay of a visa is a crime. Period. I thought that foreigners needed a return ticket when they fly to Thailand.

So a date of change for flight charge should be all that is needed for the tourist to fly back to his or her country.

I guess this would not be something that an Expat staying in Thailand might have knowledge of.

Expats staying in Thailand know, maybe not casual tourists but normal people do their research

How can Thailand  tell what IO at the airport  are letting in the country without a check of home country criminal records prior to grant of period of stay? 

A small number of miscreants cause almost all problems

21 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

From what i read , your idea is already being implemented to some degree in Gt Britain  with daily arrivals along the Kent coast.

Good. But do they become a public burden then or are their living costs assumed by charities and or private organizations?

On 3/19/2023 at 12:29 AM, Stargeezr said:

Overstay of a visa is a crime. Period.

Why do you write Period Period Period ???....

Isn’t one, just  single fullstop sufficient Question-mark, Exclamation-mark, Exclamation-mark, Fullstop.

I thought that foreigners needed a return ticket when they fly to Thailand.

Only for visa exempt entries...  And many cheap tickets are not changeable.