Swedish Man Arrested on Samui Island for 75 Days of Overstaying

webfact

13 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:
22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Does this mean the Police are patrolling checking the passports of foreigners now ???

Nah, Richard, I think he got cheap charlie with the girlfriend and she outed him... Don't ya know?

Thats what had me wondering... the linked article states: 

The arrest followed Surat Thani Immigration officers patrolling to crack down on overstaying foreigners. This can include random passport checks which are legal in Thailand.

The legality of ‘random passport checks’ is also a highly vague statement to make as there are specifics surround what type of and rank of police officer can ask to see you passport and immigration status....

1 hour ago, BananaStrong said:

YES!!!!   First, look at  his shirt, a disgrace to humanity.  Almost three months breaking the laws of LOS!!!  You must obey or this happens.  ONE MINUTE and I want the same pictures!!!

Back home I hope he can never find work again, gets a police record, and is banned from planet Earth for the next 10,000 years.

"naughty" implies you think this law is not serious!!!!! wrong!!!!!

overstaying is tied to the most serious criminals the world has every known

Good job he wasn't wearing a "Good guys go to heaven, bad guys go to Pattaya" T-Shirt or he would be truly screwed...

23 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

It is not a bit naughty, it is a crime. Don't break the law if you don't want to be in the news.

The point you are grossly missing is that this isn't news. It never is and never should be. 75 day overstay lol!

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I know an overstay is a bit naughty but does this guy really need to be paraded in front of the press? It's not like he has killed anyone for Christ sake. Just stamp his passport with an exclusion and put him on the next plane and be done with it.

It's not just overstay... per-say, you are illegally staying in another country, not just extending your holiday by a few days?

• Like 1

Oh great..they arrested a dude who overstayed for 75days, but they surely haven't arrested locals who keep dumping garbage and burning all plastic waste all around the island spreading hazardous air pollution.. No no. Let's just say that the police in Chaweng just so happened to rape somebody inside the police station once upon a time as well. Yeah look it up!

F off, piece of <deleted>s. If the western sanctions on Russia would be put on Thailand, more than half the population would starve to death within a year and their economy crumble like a falling coconut. They should be happy and thank people for overstaying, at least it contributes to consumption and economic growth.  

Out!

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

The point you are grossly missing is that this isn't news. It never is and never should be. 75 day overstay lol!

The POINT is it IS news, and we are reading about this criminal!!!!  We are all here talking about this NEWS, this criminal.   It is and will always be.

Go complain to the Thai police if you feel your "laws" are soooooooo superior, hahahhahahahahahhaaha

another farang who just doesn't get living in LOS!!!!!! lol

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I once overstayed without knowing it... 

I had a 5 year visa...  each entry gave me 90 days, at the time I somehow misunderstood and thought that I had a weeks grace to get an extension of stay for another 90 days (1900 baht).

Once at Chaengwattana I was shocked to find out I had to pay an overstay fine !!!...  genuine mistake. No issues from Immigration at all, they handled it simply...

BUT...  some posters on here would want me deported for the overstay !!! 

My question to those who want overstayers treated so harshly....  Is overstaying a crime that has victims ?

... i.e. if someone overstays their visa, what are the consequences for innocent others ?

I think a 75 day overstay is a little more serious than a week, of course i may be wrong and someone might want me hung and then deported.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/16/2023 at 2:29 PM, richard_smith237 said:

... its as if the BiB are are shouting from the roof tops... Look at us, we’ve done some work!!!!” ......

It's as if the BiB are are shouting from the roof tops..."don't overstay your visa or this could happen to you". 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 2:33 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Having police go up to tourists demanding to see their immigration status is not really a good thing for tourism....   The optics are quite appalling really. 

Luckily, that's not happening unless the police see "oh, sh!t" signals from individuals or they know who they're looking for.

3 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

YES!!!!   First, look at  his shirt, a disgrace to humanity.  Almost three months breaking the laws of LOS!!!  You must obey or this happens.  ONE MINUTE and I want the same pictures!!!

Back home I hope he can never find work again, gets a police record, and is banned from planet Earth for the next 10,000 years.

"naughty" implies you think this law is not serious!!!!! wrong!!!!!

overstaying is tied to the most serious criminals the world has every known

may i politely suggest that satire is not your forte

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Bill97 said:

IDC is the stop before the airport.  Even people with tickets are sometimes kept there for weeks or months.

Nonsense, unless there are other reasons such as not paying the fine.   Once they've got the ticket sorted, they're out of there to the airport.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Actually I don't believe there should be any visas, overstays, or even borders. Just let people live where they like as long as obey laws and do not become a public burden.

In your country also or you just want that for Thailand?  

"Just let people live where they like as long as obey laws..."

Make your mind up, that's exactly the situation with these reports, the foreigners are not obeying the laws that you're saying they should be obeying! 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 2:28 PM, Chelseafan said:

I didn't say it wasn't a crime but parading this guy in front of the media is completely OTT.

You do realize your in Thailand and not in your home country.  This is standard here, at least there is no finger pointing going on in the picture.

2 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Since when is this not news here in Thailand? The issue of overstaying and being arrested has been splashed all over the place....are you just oblivious, or its not the type of news you want to see. If it is the later then avoid these types of OP's if it hurts to see it or if it offends you.  TIT.

I was under the impression that hotels and guest houses report regularly (daily?) to immigration the foreign guests they have staying in their accommodation. If that's still the case, Thai immigration were generous to the Swede - or took their time to catch him (if you prefer a negative look). Perhaps he moved about a lot and stayed in different accommodation for only a day or two at a time. Or perhaps they had bigger fish to fry. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, asf6 said:

I was under the impression that hotels and guest houses report regularly (daily?) to immigration the foreign guests they have staying in their accommodation. If that's still the case, Thai immigration were generous to the Swede - or took their time to catch him (if you prefer a negative look). Perhaps he moved about a lot and stayed in different accommodation for only a day or two at a time. Or perhaps they had bigger fish to fry. 

Hotels and Guest houses or any Landlord who rents property to foreigners only need to register on the TM-30 web site, 

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

It's a public warning to others that it is not going to be tolerated.

And as I said earlier TIT and they have been doing it for years. So people need to keep their underwear from getting bunched up and accept it.....

• Like 2