Swedish Man Arrested on Samui Island for 75 Days of Overstaying

webfact

36 minutes ago, NE1 said:

I've always wondered what happens if said person has no funds to purchase a ticket .

Do the Thai police foot the bill for his flight ?

Probably stays in the IDC until he can scrape up the funds or convince the embassy to loan enough for a flight.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

My question to those who want overstayers treated so harshly....  Is overstaying a crime that has victims ?

... i.e. if someone overstays their visa, what are the consequences for innocent others ?

It depends if it’s an honest mistake , miscalculation etc. or hiding because of criminal activity… 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

rom the linked Article:

The arrest followed Surat Thani Immigration officers patrolling to crack down on overstaying foreigners. This can include random passport checks which are legal in Thailand.

Does this mean the Police are patrolling checking the passports of foreigners now ???

Having police go up to tourists demanding to see their immigration status is not really a good thing for tourism....   The optics are quite appalling really. 

I could say that demanding to see your papers is like 1930s Germany. But then I might be suspended from watching the BBC. Gary Lineker, come over here. We need you.

• Haha 2