Future of Law on Protection of Sex Workers Lies with Next Government, Thai Activists Say

snoop1130

It is just a shame that this Government doesn't do anything but all important decisions  delay for the next Government... Cannabis, sexworkers and same sex marriage are just a few examples.. This Government is good in delaying as the new have to make committees again to check, report, and advice .... 

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The law would ensure those working in the trade would be equally protected and would not be stigmatized by society, said the group.

Backbone of Prayuts economic policy at the moment.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Many Thai activists met on Thursday, March 16th, to discuss the possibility of the law on the protection of sex workers. The law would ensure those working in the trade would be equally protected and would not be stigmatized by society, said the group.

I wonder if Chuwit could shed some light on this, as he was king of the trade a few years back.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

Heck I thought it was readily accepted by Thai society...even encouraged?? 

I think readily accepted may be pushing it a bit.  Many resent Thailand's worldwide fame for its sex industry.

Whenever I've asked Thai's they've said its more or less tolerated - it is very widespread though.  The part that services the foreign market is said to be only 10% of the total market in all its guises.  No idea how true that is but there are a lot of variations on the same theme - we don't get to see most.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I wish them all good luck on this one.

Legalise drugs but not sex? How dumb is that?

Oh, I forgot. Anutin obviously does not make money from sex.

Oh, I understood he made his fortune from selling sex of cement.

Typical Gov jaunta attitude leave it until next Gov hopefully legally elected by the people for the people & if Military don't like it Coup d'etat all over again plague of Thailand Coup d'etat ! Thai Gov need to separate & remove Military from Government all together stop Military rorts ???????? & legalise prostitution you bunch inept parasites appeasing RTP from extortion Girls , bars etc,. Thai way of life ????????????????

5 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

I can't stand any woman controlled and abused by scum pimps.

I don't think much pimping goes on in Thailand. The public relation service providers do so of their own free will as it's better than working in the rice fields and gives them the cash to buy expensive phones.

So much fuss about the legality for the sex workers they been around since day one.

Admit this and make it Legal and protect them and Register them /health checks/social security would be nice .

Look at our own  Dutch  Rotterdam and Amsterdams Red light districts , they are legal and have their Government protection. 

https://prostitutescollective.net/legislation-sex-work-netherlands-legalisation/

19 hours ago, Mavideol said:

so, it appears that finally they acknowledged/accepted there are sex workers in Thailand, then if there are sex workers means there is prostitution in Thailand, why the kept denying it for so long

It makes sense, Make it legal. you can then control it and tax it. Plus inspect premises and and keep medical records of girls working. One thing: would a foreigner need a work permit or would it come under protected   Thai occupation?????

8 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

Sex workers not be "stigmatised by society " ?

Heck I thought it was readily accepted by Thai society...even encouraged?? 

BTW, I am all in to legalise sex workers wherever they are.

And, I can't stand any woman controlled and abused by scum pimps. Legalisation would give them some hope and safety. 

So you are ok with their husbands and boyfriends being punished ? They are their pimps and the scum.

17 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I wish them all good luck on this one.

Legalise drugs but not sex? How dumb is that?

Oh, I forgot. Anutin obviously does not make money from sex.

Yes but his wife and female relatives probably do.

20 hours ago, Mavideol said:

so, it appears that finally they acknowledged/accepted there are sex workers in Thailand, then if there are sex workers means there is prostitution in Thailand, why the kept denying it for so long

Brain deed 

23 hours ago, Mavideol said:

No never, you lie.  I don't believe you. Thailand is just full of beautiful women who tell me I am a handsome man as I walk down the street because they are full of happiness and joy. Note: please don't burst my bubble! Lol

16 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

It is just a shame that this Government doesn't do anything but all important decisions  delay for the next Government... Cannabis, sexworkers and same sex marriage are just a few examples.. This Government is good in delaying as the new have to make committees again to check, report, and advice .... 

And it was told that the military needed to take over to crate peace and make the changes needed in society. In the end, it seems they too are like every other government/hi-so in society

On 3/17/2023 at 11:22 AM, snoop1130 said:

The law would ensure those working in the trade would be equally protected and would not be stigmatized by society

I'm all for the legalization of sex workers. It should've never been illegal in the first place. Congrats to Thailand for looking in a new direction, perhaps? The question here is how is anyone going to judge something as subjective as making sure they're not stigmatized by society

9 hours ago, BritScot said:

No never, you lie.  I don't believe you. Thailand is just full of beautiful women who tell me I am a handsome man as I walk down the street because they are full of happiness and joy. Note: please don't burst my bubble! Lol

A correction is needed here.   The word isn't "handsome", it is "hansum"!