Can I use ATM withdrawals to satisfy monthly income requirements for Non Imm O visa retirement

On 3/21/2023 at 6:46 PM, DodgerRodger said:

I was thinking that, if no source of income documentation is asked for, would it not be possible to recycle the same 65K every month into and out of Thailand at the cost of the FX transfer fees?

Yes, that would be possible.  And it's the reason that some Imm Offices also require proof of the SOURCE of the income. 

Also be aware that even if your local Imm Office does not require such evidence of Source of Income, that the individual Imm Officer handling your application CAN ask for it. 

Note: Unless the Imm Office specifically requires a certain Source of Income (e.g. pension provider), you could be claiming monthly rental income from abroad.  So it would be possible to have a friend/relative transfer you every month at approx same time a fixed sum in foreign currency (above the THB limit required) and specifying it as 'property rental fee for month X'. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Some offices accept it and some not so folk need to check with their immigration office 

Aha, consistently inconsistent!????

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

None of my current three USA banks do that automatically to overseas accounts

But Wise does offer such a service,

Edited by lopburi3
remove untested info

NO! Have a friend who has lived in Thailand for years, he always took the money out of the ATM then placed it into a Thai bank, he recently fell ill, missed his retirement renewal as he was in Hospital, came out went to immigration to apply for a new retirement stamp, and they refused him, said money has to be direct from his bamk in Canada, cut a long story short he is about to be deported.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

NO! Have a friend who has lived in Thailand for years, he always took the money out of the ATM then placed it into a Thai bank, he recently fell ill, missed his retirement renewal as he was in Hospital, came out went to immigration to apply for a new retirement stamp, and they refused him, said money has to be direct from his bamk in Canada, cut a long story short he is about to be deported.

That's a really sad story. in his case he should have used an Agent or a friend to enquire about his options when not being able to go to Immigration for his extension due to being hospitalized.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, watchcat said:

But it's illegal, and in due time there will be a crack down on this.

And who might that be; doing the 'cracking down'? It's in no-one's interest to 'crack down'.. Every now and again a little kerfuffle. Still paying 100 baht for me lottery tickets.

Not gonna change in my lifetime I suspect.

Edited by owl sees all
insertedd a '?'
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, watchcat said:

But it's illegal, and in due time there will be a crack down on this.

Don't hold your breath, what those agents are doing has been blatantly obvious for many years. It could happen, it might never happen, who knows. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shop mak said:

From THIS, I take it as OP find transfer difficult and look for alternative ways, to avoid FINCEN FBAR reports that jepardize OP'S work / security clearance etc etc.

To avoid above multiple problems, borrowing 800k from a agent is a easy way out, of which a agent will want 25,000 baht for.

Not all agents charge this much. My landlady is also my agent and I give her 14000 baht to renew my extension of stay each year. She and her British husband own a number of condos here in Pattaya and seem to have a very good connection with IO. Knowing Thailand's ever-changing rules on Non-O visas, I do not expect this situation to last any longer than it takes them to find a way to make things more miserable.  Making things smooth and simple is contrary to their policy of making it as difficult as possible to live here.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 8:48 AM, Red Phoenix said:

That's a really sad story. in his case he should have used an Agent or a friend to enquire about his options when not being able to go to Immigration for his extension due to being hospitalized.

Yes, sad has the income but did it by ATM, has a wife and daughter here. There is no compassion on the immigration side.

32 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

Yes, sad has the income but did it by ATM, has a wife and daughter here. There is no compassion on the immigration side.

It is an obvious case of him being confused by the Thai Immigration rules.

In his case - apart from his mistake to use an ATM instead of having the money transferred from abroad - opting for the 'Monthly income method' to meet the financial requirements for the extension of his Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, is the WORST choice he could have made. 

With a Thai wife and dependant child applying for an extension based on either of these two reasons, has much lower financial requirements to be met.  With a Thai dependant child you only need to show 200.000 THB on your personal Thai bank-account at the moment of application . And NO need for any seasoning of that amount, nor for providing evidence of the source - so you basically only need it 1 day < the day of application > on your personal bank-account. 

I would advise him to contact a lawyer with knowledge of Immigration requirements and preferably with Immigration connections, to plead eased circumstances and address his case 'higher up' the Immigration ladder. 

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

In his case - apart from his mistake to use an ATM instead of having the money transferred from abroad - opting for the 'Monthly income method' to meet the financial requirements for the extension of his Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, is the WORST choice he could have made. 

With a Thai wife and dependant child applying for an extension based on either of these two reasons, has much lower financial requirements to be met.  With a Thai dependant child you only need to show 200.000 THB on your personal Thai bank-account at the moment of application . And NO need for any seasoning of that amount, nor for providing evidence of the source - so you basically only need it 1 day < the day of application > on your personal bank-account. 

I would advise him to contact a lawyer with knowledge of Immigration requirements and preferably with Immigration connections, to plead eased circumstances and address his case 'higher up' the Immigration ladder. 

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/18อุทธรณ์คำสั่งของพนักงานเจ้าหน้าที่ที่ให้เดินทางออกนอกราชอาณาจักร-ตม.11.pdf

The link above allows to download the document by which you can raise an Appeal to the order of the Imm Officer to leave the Kingdom. 

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

UPDATE - Correction > The amount is 400.000 THB, and some Imm Offices require a couple of days 'seasoning' of that amount.