Speeding ticket v Thailand post v Not paying on time, Reasonable cause

13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I have just remembered fines will be linked to LTO in April :unsure:

Maybe yes maybe no. How about this from the Thai press....

From October 1, police have advised that car owners must pay all traffic fines or will be unable to re-register their vehicles and get a new annual registration sticker for their windscreen. 

In May 2019

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, terryq said:

From October 1, police have advised that car owners must pay all traffic fines or will be unable to re-register their vehicles and get a new annual registration sticker for their windscreen. 

In May 2019

An outdated post, Feb 11 2023 it was stated in the NATION 1st April 2566 BE.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, terryq said:

In May 2019

But, one day the dots will add up for everything, because we are now in the high-tech era. Most of the planet cannot walk outside their front door without that hi-tech stuff glued to their hand. Other hi-tech stuff will come-a-calling one day, we can bank on it......:whistling:

Even cops in remote areas may be taken to task...........????

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, userabcd said:

I would surmise that the onus is upon you to receive your traffic fines on time.

But why is the Onus on me, the Onus should be on Thailand Post, after all they are paid to deliver the Mail to me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

You are given around 2mths to pay, so over to you Thai Post ! I was booked on 28 Feb. must pay by 22 April. 

I totally sympathise with the point you are making, which is less about the payment of speeding fines than the useless organisation that the Thai Post office seems to have become since Covid. We rarely get postal deliveries now. Although many Brit state pensioners have been receiving demands for 'Proof of Life' certificates (sent out in early January), I haven't had one. I went up to the Post Office a week ago, and they pretended to look for any mail for our address, said there was none. I phoned up the Dept. of Work and Pensions on Monday, they said a demand had been sent, so I retrieved a copy of the form that I had on file and sent it off, duly witnessed. This last Friday I checked our letterbox and there was an envelope, not from the DWP, but from Civil Service Pensions with their demand for a 'Declaration of Entitlement' - dated 13th December, envelope franked 20th December. Return of the declaration was required within 6 weeks, or "payment may be effected" (their spelling). Payment has not been stopped, but I guess it wouldn't be too long before they did. I can't help wondering if delivery of that envelope was prompted by my visit last week. What's happened to the DWP letter (and some Christmas cards) is anyone's guess.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

But why is the Onus on me, the Onus should be on Thailand Post, after all they are paid to deliver the Mail to me. 

BiB fines should be sent EMS, it should be all funded by the fine.....????

• Haha 1

The online annual tax system works very well. It can check that your vehicle has passed inspection at a test station and whether you've already paid the compulsory insurance. If they connect the ability to check for outstanding fines, you'll probably have to pay them to do the online renewal. Unless they force you to go and pay somewhere in person first.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, brianthainess said:

you might be in for a shock, in very small print on the back of ticket num 4 is the following.  I had to use a magnifying glass to read it. good luck.

298018188_IMG_20230319_095100(1).thumb.jpg.eb256a9b4e8c962da33ba51f9624d226.jpg

Thanks for that! I don't drive. Mrs very rarely goes to DLT for motor tax, safety check and insurance. She says she has a shop to run and such things must wait. Usually takes a road block fine to spur her into action.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

After all this, I still don't see any evidence that Thailand Post have failed to deliver anything. The only fine you can be sure you have to pay is one that was delivered by Thailand Post (albeit to your wife). 

Just now, KhaoNiaw said:

After all this, I still don't see any evidence that Thailand Post have failed to deliver anything. The only fine you can be sure you have to pay is one that was delivered by Thailand Post (albeit to your wife). 

I have had failed post, but not by EMS....:whistling:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I totally sympathise with the point you are making, which is less about the payment of speeding fines than the useless organisation that the Thai Post office seems to have become since Covid. We rarely get postal deliveries now. Although many Brit state pensioners have been receiving demands for 'Proof of Life' certificates (sent out in early January), I haven't had one. I went up to the Post Office a week ago, and they pretended to look for any mail for our address, said there was none. I phoned up the Dept. of Work and Pensions on Monday, they said a demand had been sent, so I retrieved a copy of the form that I had on file and sent it off, duly witnessed. This last Friday I checked our letterbox and there was an envelope, not from the DWP, but from Civil Service Pensions with their demand for a 'Declaration of Entitlement' - dated 13th December, envelope franked 20th December. Return of the declaration was required within 6 weeks, or "payment may be effected" (their spelling). Payment has not been stopped, but I guess it wouldn't be too long before they did. I can't help wondering if delivery of that envelope was prompted by my visit last week. What's happened to the DWP letter (and some Christmas cards) is anyone's guess.

Agree, very poor service in your case!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

An outdated post, Feb 11 2023 it was stated in the NATION 1st April 2566 BE.

My point was that this has been threatened before, several times, the post I cited was the last that I can remember, but there were others before that.

Maybe this is the time it will be implemented   but agree that it will be enforced, eventually. 

The question then becomes... how far back do they enforce it. Tickets only issued from 1st April, tickets issued in 2023 or all tickets that they have on record for that vehicle. If the latter is the case then the fine due could far exceed the value of the car / m/cycle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

After complaining to Thai post last year about non delivery of mail, for 2yrs !!! I received 4months post on one day, but Zilch from the year before. I don't get my MAIL ! bills payed by  Direct Debit statements should still be delivered Monthly TOT to name one. Nah nanna. The most annoying thing is he knows where I live but means an extra 175mt drive up my small Soi. Ahole he is.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"We haven't paid them".

Why not?  Do you have special exemption from fines and laws?  

I don't drive. Vehicle is owned by my Mrs (albeit paid for with my money). Fines were incurred by my stepson. Whoever is legally/morally responsible for payment of these fines it isn't me.

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

I don't drive. Vehicle is owned by my Mrs (albeit paid for with my money). Fines were incurred by my stepson. Whoever is legally/morally responsible for payment of these fines it isn't me.

Your wife as the owner, your stepson morally. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

They don't even use an envelope, just the A4 folded and stapled, they are trying to save the world :giggle: 

Do you remember when the police stopped issuing postal fines because they had run out of envelopes? Perhaps this is their solution!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

I have just remembered fines will be linked to LTO in April :unsure:

I've mentioned before, if it's linked to LTD then i have no problem paying fines, until then - no chance.

Do you actually think all the speed cameras work? 

• Sad 1

And many others, unless you live on a main road they can't be bothered. 

To be fair our Royal Thai Mail guy is very good. He's been a moto postie a long time. Our family has a shop and two houses. He knows that any of us can be delivered to at any one of the three. Logically, I suppose we're three times more likely to receive our mail than others. Also, he works as a moto repairman when off duty and we take our bikes to him. It all helps! 

2 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

To be fair our Royal Thai Mail guy is very good. He's been a moto postie a long time. Our family has a shop and two houses. He knows that any of us can be delivered to at any one of the three. Logically, I suppose we're three times more likely to receive our mail than others. Also, he works as a moto repairman when off duty and we take our bikes to him. It all helps! 

No wonder others don't get their mail, his to busy repairing M/C. :giggle: 

• Love It 1

Dismiss them. My wife and I have thrown countless tickets into the bin. Never had an issue with renewing drivers licenses, or registrations.

Doubt they will ever develop a centralized system, in our lifetimes. Defy nonsense. A low speed limit does not save lives. Everyone ignores it. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"We haven't paid them".

Why not?  Do you have special exemption from fines and laws?  

By using "we" you included yourself in the "we haven't paid" comment, hence my comment.

The person legally responsible for the fines is the driver at the time, if it wasn't the owner, then the owner is legally obligated to inform the police who was driving.  If the owner does not do that, the owner is then responsible for the fines.  

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

By using "we" you included yourself in the "we haven't paid" comment, hence my comment.

The person legally responsible for the fines is the driver at the time, if it wasn't the owner, then the owner is legally obligated to inform the police who was driving.  If the owner does not do that, the owner is then responsible for the fines.  

Thanks for that. I used 'we' as being the family. My pensions and savings go into the family pot so I will be paying for it. At the end of the day my Mrs will do what she will whenever she feels like it. Or not!    

7 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I'd like to know what happened to 2 bank card readers sent from a UK bank 2yrs ago. :whistling: or was that 3yrs and i haven't stopped winging about it here since.  :cheesy:

Edited by brianthainess