New requirement or not?

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If for example they exit Thailand and return using reentry permit or multi entry visa then NO TM30 is required. 

I agree it is no longer required - provided you return to a place where "Under the period of acceptance of residence that has not yet expired" ภายใต้กรอบระยะเวลาการรับเข้าพักอาศัยที่ยังไม่สิ้นสุดลง

I haven't seen an explanation for that clause, its ambiguous. Is it the Check-out date on a TM30?

I think it leaves the door open for Immigration officers to make their own interpretation, another hoop to make us jump through.

9 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Those bums! They told me this also by multiple people. They don't even know their own laws???

They know their laws.

Their law says that for every new report, several photocopies are required from the boot next door which means extra $$$$ for them.

Not to forget the new department and the material which means also extra $$$$.

The law of money 

12 minutes ago, ningnong said:

I haven't seen an explanation for that clause, its ambiguous. Is it the Check-out date on a TM30?

The period that you keep referring to is the error.

It's referring to continuous permission of stay. 

For example ....a guy that owns his own condo and lives partly in Thailand and partly in home country. 

If he maintains ongoing extensions and obtains reentry permits then when he exits Thailand and then reenters with reentry permit goes to his condo then he does NOT need to make a TM30. 

If the the other hand he just enters Thailand with new visa or visa exempt then he will need to file TM30. 

Of course anyone changing their address (place of residence) will need to do a TM30 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The period that you keep referring to is the error.

It's referring to continuous permission of stay. 

For example ....a guy that owns his own condo and lives partly in Thailand and partly in home country. 

If he maintains ongoing extensions and obtains reentry permits then when he exits Thailand and then reenters with reentry permit goes to his condo then he does NOT need to make a TM30. 

If the the other hand he just enters Thailand with new visa or visa exempt then he will need to file TM30. 

Of course anyone changing their address (place of residence) will need to do a TM30 

I'll stick with the English translation and save the discussion of the Thai version for the Thai language forum.

I believe what you are saying is the wording in 2.2 "the notified period of stay" is the same as "continuous permission of stay" regarding visas.

That makes no sense when you consider 2.2 also applies to hotel managers. Going by your interpretation that means if I check into a hotel and have a 1 year extension of stay the hotel is only obligated to do one TM30. So long as my visa is the same and extension of stays are current I can return 6 months later or 2 years later and no TM30 would be required for that hotel.

I believe 2.2 refers to a scenario like this. I'm staying at a hotel in Bangkok and decide to travel to Vietnam for a few days without checking out of the hotel, leaving some belongings behind. When I return the hotel manager is not required to do a new TM30 since my notified period of stay did not end.

From that other thread you previously provided a link to this statement in the OP is simply incorrect:

"if a person on a multiple entry visa or has an extension of stay and enters using a re-entry permit a new TM30 report is not required."

It should state "may not be required" A new TM30 would be required if your lease has expired, the wife has kicked you out or whatever. The "the notified period of stay" has ended, you need to do a new TM30.

English translation of 2.2:
https://aseannow.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=689586

2.2 After a householder, owner or possessor of dwelling place or
hotel manager already made a notification according to 2.1, then the alien goes to occasionally stay somewhere else and return to stay at the original place within the notified period of stay that has not yet ended, such householder, owner or possessor of dwelling place or hotel manager is not required to make a notification again.

7 minutes ago, ningnong said:

From that other thread you previously provided a link to this statement in the OP is simply incorrect:

"if a person on a multiple entry visa or has an extension of stay and enters using a re-entry permit a new TM30 report is not required."

It should state "may not be required" A new TM30 would be required if your lease has expired, the wife has kicked you out or whatever. The "the notified period of stay" has ended, you need to do a new TM30.

You conveniently left out the next statement following the bit you plucked out.....

I also stated.....

"Of course anyone changing their address (place of residence) will need to do a TM30"...

Done with this chit chat. 

On 3/21/2023 at 8:34 AM, paulbrow said:

This is so common. It takes 2 minutes to do the TM30 online, so why not just do it every time you come back, required or not. Biggest effort was getting my wife's home in the system. After that a piece of cake.

Never heard of TM 30 online.  Could you please post a link.  Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You conveniently left out the next statement following the bit you plucked out.....

I also stated.....

"Of course anyone changing their address (place of residence) will need to do a TM30"...

Done with this chit chat. 

"Done with this chit chat."

I assume that means I've made some valid points and you finally see the light?

For the record I did not intend to leave anything you added out, I was merely trying to point out that the previous thread is incorrect as well as much of the info in this thread since people are relying on the English translation.

This isn't the only immigration document where I've noticed the meaning can be taken wrong after translated to English. Much is often lost in translation from Thai to English. Unfortunate that there aren't more members here up on their Thai reading skills.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ningnong said:

I assume that means I've made some valid points and you finally see the light

You haven't made one valid point.

It's clear what the new TM30 requirements are and what they mean for expats living in Thailand. 

In a nutshell living in place of residence no TM30 is required to be filed after travel to another province involving stays and also travel out of Thailand and upon return no TM30 required.

What does require a TM30 is if there is a change of address (usual place of residence) or when someone exits Thailand and reenters with new visa or visa exempt. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's clear what the new TM30 requirements are and what they mean for expats living in Thailand. 

In a nutshell living in place of residence no TM30 is required to be filed after travel to another province involving stays and also travel out of Thailand and upon return no TM30 required.

What does require a TM30 is if there is a change of address (usual place of residence) or when someone exits Thailand and reenters with new visa or visa exempt. 

Try telling that to Korat IO, i left Thailand to visit the UK for a holiday and on my return my retirement extension was due for renewal so off i went to the IO duly armed with all their requirements only to be told that a new TM30 was required. I explained that i did'nt think this was a requirement under the rules but they insisted.

Go figure.................

29 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

.......only to be told that a new TM30 was required.

Yes it's a pity that some immigration offices have decided to ignore the change in TM30 rules.

Korat is not the only one... unfortunately 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/21/2023 at 9:44 AM, DrJack54 said:

I'm aware of "their rules" let's have them apply them uniformly.

And we are all aware of your idea of uniformity.

Does your country pay any attention to whinging expats, thought not.

Just to throw a bit more gasoline onto the fire - I was under the impression that the suspension of the TM 30 reporting for long term folk was only temporary because of Covid. ie they did not want lots of coughing people going to IO offices.

Here on Samui they insist on everyone having an up to date one.

Once you are set up on-line, it takes two minutes. Why the fuss?

5 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I was under the impression that the suspension of the TM 30 reporting for long term folk was only temporary because of Covid. ie they did not want lots of coughing people going to IO offices.

You are under the wrong impression.

It's not temporary.

Samui is just another crackpot immigration office. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Really?

I just went through that older thread from 2020 and came across the following post on page 3 that says it so well and applies to this current thread.

DaLa: "I'm not defending Thai Immigration wholesale, however, when you consider there have been 76 posts on this simple subject and over half of those have their own 'interpretation' of the rules.  So would any of us on here make a better job than the Immigration officials we have to deal with and the way each office applies the (obviously) flexible rules?"

https://aseannow.com/topic/1169664-thai-immigration-announce-changes-to-tm30-reporting/page/3/

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Have explained the current requirements for TM30 for expats living in Thailand several times.

They are actually very clear. 

In your mind with your IO!

As we all know there are NO hard and fast rules that pertain to every IO!

I suggest you give people a break and stop pretending that you are the "authority" on Immigration/banking etc, etc!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

In your mind with your IO!

As we all know there are NO hard and fast rules that pertain to every IO!

I suggest you give people a break and stop pretending that you are the "authority" on Immigration/banking etc, etc!

I always state that folk should check with their own immigration office.

There are approx 75 in Thailand.

I post what are the correct current rules for TM30 after trips to other locations including travel abroad. 

Guessing you are unaware of the requirements.

The fact that some immigration offices do not follow the rules is unfortunate.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

There was no change of address!!
I live already 21 years in the same place.
IO did not to process my visa extension without an update to the "Notification of address" in my passport.
And like me, several thousand others.

By the way, when I asked for a reeintry permit a few months ago, I asked what to do when I came back.

The answer was very clear:
"Just start to count for 90 days at the date you enter the country and report then for 90 days stay".

So, now it is a NEW REQUIREMENT and I need to go for new Notification of address" every time I leave Korat.

Edited by Confuscious
"ENTER" while typing

24 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

There was no change of address!!

I posted rules regarding need for TM30.

That was reply to another poster. 

Along with clarification for others.

You stated ...

"IO did not to process my visa extension without an update to the "Notification of address" in my passport." 

I cannot help you with your immigration office. 

TM30 should not be required for extensions.

The fact that Korat is rogue office is your issue. 

Why complain about my posts as couple of others have. 

Your immigration office sets your hurdles. 

I'm outlining correct rules re TM30. 

Your post also included this...

The answer was very clear:

"Just start to count for 90 days at the date you enter the country and report then for 90 days stay".

That refers to tm47 and was not my post. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/21/2023 at 3:27 PM, DrJack54 said:

Take a close read of the OP in this thread that I posted earlier and again here. 

I am referring specifically to expats living in Thailand ongoing for example on continuous extensions etc.

They (in the main) have a place of residence. 

That is reflected in which immigration office they deal with.

90 day reports etc.

Previously those folk if stayed away from their residence even for a night (in another province) had to file a TM30 upon return.

That of course also included travel out of Thailand and back. 

This was changed in 2020.

That is no longer required. 

If for example they exit Thailand and return using reentry permit or multi entry visa then NO TM30 is required. 

If they exit and reenter on a new visa or visa exempt and returned to usual place of residence then a TM30 IS required. 

That's my understanding too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes it's a pity that some immigration offices have decided to ignore the change in TM30 rules.

I doubt they ignore the changes they just have their own interpretation of those rules.

The TM6 arrival card at least had a field for an address in Thailand but the TM6 is no longer required when arriving by air. After a stay outside of the Kingdom just how is Immigration supposed to know you are returning to your previously registered address?

They can rely on the honor system, which is something many IOs are clearly not too keen on, or they can require a new TM30.

Like it or not Immigration's job includes keeping track of where visitors/residents are staying. You should not beat up on them for trying to do their job.

• Haha 2