Just a word of caution !

CharlieH

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

My Mrs is always bending my earholes about people taking money out your bank because of answering phone calls. 

I really don't understand how that could happen unless your totally stupid. 

Same here! I suspect it's done by the caller telling you they're following up by sending you an SMS with a clickable hyperlink?

2 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Same here! I suspect it's done by the caller telling you they're following up by sending you an SMS with a clickable hyperlink?

I get messages from my UK bank, Bk bank and D.TAC.  sometimes ones I don't know with Thai writing and phone number to call, shown to the Mrs and she says never call these phone numbers. 

I guess that's what she is on about. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

BBC Panorama ,had a program on phone scams just last week , the people on the phones sound

quite plausible , and seem to target older people, they are getting vast amounts of money

from vulnerable  people , but the Police are only solving 4 % of the cases , 

regards worgeordie

Been hearing about it for years not just the old, clever greedy people too. ????

You should not take calls from unknown callers.  The ratio of someone wanting to scam you vs your list of 3 friends (who also have messenger apps and their number is stored) is going to be obvious.  The number is a scammer.

Edited by markclover
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

I had the same a few weeks back,   I think from memory the 698 prefix was in Africa ... hence it's a scam.

The country code that is displayed on the scam calls is not where the call originates so checking its location is pointless.  Those calls should just be rejected without answering, no one needs to answer calls from countries and numbers that they have no connection with. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

My Mrs is always bending my earholes about people taking money out your bank because of answering phone calls. 

I really don't understand how that could happen unless your totally stupid. 

You're right, money cannot be lost just by answering a phone call alone unless the recipient sends them money or reacts the way they want  by following instructions from complete strangers.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had a beauty two nights ago. They said there had been a $800 withdrawal from my Commonwealth Bank account and did I approve it.

Don't bank with Commonwealth Bank.

They can fix it.

So I let them go through the process till they attempted to access my computer, and I got bored, and left it there. Seen lots of scammers from Bangalore and Mumbai and Kolkata on youtube, such as Scambaiter and Kitboga and Scammer payback,   so that I pretty much knew the script myself. 

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

yes Charlie ,  I had the same a few weeks back,   I think from memory the 698 prefix was in Africa ... hence it's a scam.

My research did not conclusivly show from where these calls come from, never mind, as I am very pleased what ever department warns us..

"People are being advised to reject calls from numbers with the prefixes +698 and +697 as they are possibly from call centres."

however, as most know (well some dont so I warn) with modern comms the way they are, the call centers can call you on a local number,

(such ad the inv companies that have me on a cal to call every month even though they promised to remove me)

the point is looking at whos calling most likely does not work anymore.

As soon as I hear I am a55 h00le from annyoyyouallthe time I depending on time hang up or vent my anger at them...

I just feel sorry for the elderly good people listening to these sharks...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

Africa ... hence it's a scam.

Should we simply sink the continent?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!   My mother is from Africa and tried to call, but I BLOCKED her call based on your comment.   I emailed her and said my online friends here said Africa is a scam!!!!!!!

Have you considered being a role model for children???  lol

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't know if they still do this.  But there are(were?) area codes that charge you when you call them.  Scammers would ring you and hang up before you could answer hoping you would return the call.

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The country code that is displayed on the scam calls is not where the call originates so checking its location is pointless.  Those calls should just be rejected without answering, no one needs to answer calls from countries and numbers that they have no connection with. 

That is certainly true. It is very easy to acquire a number in almost any country via of all things, Skype. I have one myself to enable local calls to a couple of family who have no clue of smart phones, and UK companies I deal with from time to time. At £35.00/year its a steal. So yes, be careful of foreign country phone codes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Seeall said:

"MUM"

MUM sounds like something like MUMMY, which is ridiculous and for babies.

Mother or Mom sounds much more professional, with an American flair perfected by the geniuses who took a really horrible language and turned it into an amazing linguistical phenominal.

ebonics is next level great.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

I like talking to them. I just put it on speaker and f with them. They go on and on, then ask something, and I say:  I'm sorry what? Can you hold a moment? Yell at the cat a little, then: I'm sorry, what were you saying? 

24 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

I often get an upsurge in scam calls and SMS after I give my real number to Thai immigration.

after giving my email address to thai immigration i began getting a large amount of junk mail/spam, coincidence?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

after giving my email address to thai immigration i began getting a large amount of junk mail/spam, coincidence?

I doubt it is a coincidence.  Normally I try and avoid giving them my real number and say I do not use email but sometimes it is in my interests for them to contact me.

I only ever answer if the number is in my contacts. A few weeks ago my Son tried several times to call me. Not recognising the number I cut the calls. Turns out he was using his girl friends phone as his battery was down.

Of course, if you don't keep banking apps on your phone or have two phones seems problem solved.

I rarely get calls from calls unknown. How's this happening to you folks? Online vendors selling your numbers? My wife buys modest amount online and doesn't seem to be a problem for her

Edited by Menken

57 minutes ago, Menken said:

Of course, if you don't keep banking apps on your phone or have two phones seems problem solved.

I rarely get calls from calls unknown. How's this happening to you folks? Online vendors selling your numbers? My wife buys modest amount online and doesn't seem to be a problem for her

Of course, if you do keep banking apps on your phone, not being an idiot solves the problem as well. 

Edited by Yellowtail
ww

On 3/21/2023 at 7:02 AM, BananaStrong said:

Should we simply sink the continent?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!   My mother is from Africa and tried to call, but I BLOCKED her call based on your comment.   I emailed her and said my online friends here said Africa is a scam!!!!!!!

Have you considered being a role model for children???  lol

By the way...Do you wanna buy some "Sherbet"? :thumbsup: