Phanaeng Curry Named Best Stew in The World

webfact

5 hours ago, Menken said:

It's not a stew because nothing is stewed. It's pretty much fried and then simmered a bit.

It is absolutely delicious made correctly but like Masaman it never is.

A stew is "fried" to seal the juices in the meat, then liquid is added and simmered slowly with whatever vegetables and seasoning you are using. A curry (as in your typical Indian curry) is a stew using curry seasoning (although no true Indian cook would use curry powder!).

Phanang "curry" is a soup because the meat is added to the liquid, not sealed first.

Phanang and massaman are my two favourite Thai dishes but my missus, being your typical Issaan person, doesn't like either and grumbles if I make it for dinner. Should have found myself a southern girl....but they are nearly all muslim ????

Edited by MikeN
  • Agree 1

STEW:

A dish of meat and vegetables cooked slowly in liquid in a closed dish or pan. 

Twisted semantics. 

For everyone that makes a "stew", there's a different way to make it - and interpret each creation. 

That's a good list. I know many of those but obviously not all.

Phaenang doesn’t belong as number one.

That's crazy!

Some dishes that are missing.

Doro wat

Ethiopian chicken Stew

Fesenjen

Persian pomegranate chicken Stewed

Chicken mole

Mexican includes chocolate

Chinese clay pot cuisine

There are so many though.

My favorite is probably oyster with roast pork.

I have yet to find a Chinese restaurant in Thailand with a good clay pot menu. Sigh.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, rbkk said:

A curry is not a stew; in my book.

Semantics...curry is a British misuse of the word...it is really a stew as are most "curries" referred to by the British.

"Curry is a word invented by the British back when they ruled India. It is the anglicized version of the Tamil word kari, meaning sauce and is now commonly used to describe almost any food of South Asian origin" https://indiaphile.info/what-is-curry-and-a-recipe-for-garam-masala/

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1

i don't know if it's me, my changing palate, the economy, or that I live in a tourist area, but Thai food nowadays in most places just doesn't seem to be as well made and tasty as it used to.

Dishes seem far more oily, far more sweet, less care taken. even in some of the hotel restaurants.

Don't get me wrong. There is still some excellent Thai food to be found. Just less common.  

Even in the night food markets, where cheap tasty food used to be a staple, there seems to be a race to the  bottom.  No more tasty stir fries. All pre-cooked stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Russian food on the menu soon.

Had a delicious Khanom Jeen yesterday with drink and dessert for around 120THB.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

Almost all cooking in the world stems from one of two families...Chinese and Turkish/Persian

Actually that might be 'Thai', pre annexed area of Ban Chang, Udon Thani, as having the earliest to date archeological discovery of the tools to 'slow cook' ... ????

"The site presents the earliest evidence of farming in the region and of the manufacture and use of metals"

https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/575/

Actually had to rewrite the books on use of tools and metalworking migration.  Instead of CH to TH, reversed to TH to CH.

Yes ... Ban Chang the center of the Universe ????

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, phetphet said:

i don't know if it's me, my changing palate, the economy, or that I live in a tourist area,

BINGO ... we have a winner.

When in a tourist area, 7-11 serves up better fare than some tourist venues ... ????

Why I avoid such areas 

Edited by KhunLA

28 minutes ago, phetphet said:

i don't know if it's me, my changing palate, the economy, or that I live in a tourist area, but Thai food nowadays in most places just doesn't seem to be as well made and tasty as it used to.

Dishes seem far more oily, far more sweet, less care taken. even in some of the hotel restaurants.

Don't get me wrong. There is still some excellent Thai food to be found. Just less common.  

Even in the night food markets, where cheap tasty food used to be a staple, there seems to be a race to the  bottom.  No more tasty stir fries. All pre-cooked stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Russian food on the menu soon.

Had a delicious Khanom Jeen yesterday with drink and dessert for around 120THB.  

Perhaps the prices of ingredients has resulted in poorer qualities, I hear even vegetables are 50% up on last year.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Perhaps the prices of ingredients has resulted in poorer qualities, I hear even vegetables are 50% up on last year.

Easy to find quality, fair price food, just a better chance of, if not in an overpriced, watering down for tourist's palate area.

Obviously not a stew and IMO nice but nothing to write home about. Massaman is superior but takes longer to make. As for stews, curries and casseroles they are all better the day after cooking. As for @Goatyes laksa is fantastic but it's a noodle soup so not a curry or stew. It's not too difficult to make. You can get the paste online, buy some egg noodles and make a good fish stock with some fresh fish heads the day before. 

11 hours ago, MikeN said:

A stew is "fried" to seal the juices in the meat, then liquid is added and simmered slowly with whatever vegetables and seasoning you are using. A curry (as in your typical Indian curry) is a stew using curry seasoning (although no true Indian cook would use curry powder!).

Phanang "curry" is a soup because the meat is added to the liquid, not sealed first.

Phanang and massaman are my two favourite Thai dishes but my missus, being your typical Issaan person, doesn't like either and grumbles if I make it for dinner. Should have found myself a southern girl....but they are nearly all muslim ????

I do wonder about it being a soup. Indian curries don't call for meat to be sealed rather the meat is often marinated e.g. chicken masala. Chicken masala is not a soup it's a curry. When I cook massaman I never seal the chicken (I only cook chicken massaman) and massaman is not a soup. It's a curry.

11 hours ago, MikeN said:

Should have found myself a southern girl....but they are nearly all muslim ????

Nothing wrong with Muslim girls mate, I'm married to an ex-muslim (her muslim husband passed away) better than any other i've met, very loving & strong work ethic, The only Thai I have ever met who actually loved her ex.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Actually that might be 'Thai', pre annexed area of Ban Chang, Udon Thani, as having the earliest to date archeological discovery of the tools to 'slow cook' ... ????

"The site presents the earliest evidence of farming in the region and of the manufacture and use of metals"

https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/575/

Actually had to rewrite the books on use of tools and metalworking migration.  Instead of CH to TH, reversed to TH to CH.

Yes ... Ban Chang the center of the Universe ????

A one quote wonder! You totally miss the point, it's  nothing to do with "first"...