Can Canadian fly into vietnam visa exempt?

All Canadian citizens need a visa for any trip to Vietnam.

The evisa is a simple process.

Process time 3 business days.

You receive an email and print out visa details. 

Cost $25 usd. 

Not required to bring anything.

For flight back to Thailand you will need an onward flight if returning visa exempt. 

Here is link....

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en_US/web/guest/khai-thi-thuc-dien-tu/cap-thi-thuc-dien-tu

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Don Chance said:

I entered VN by land from Cambodia, it cost $45usd 3 years ago. They bend the rules.

Since covid Vietnam have changed visa options considerably.

For example previously there was 3 month multi entry tourist visa. 

Currently not available.

Also no entry via air requires eVisa (online application) 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

All Canadian citizens need a visa for any trip to Vietnam.

The evisa is a simple process.

Process time 3 business days.

You receive an email and print out visa details. 

Cost $25 usd. 

Not required to bring anything.

For flight back to Thailand you will need an onward flight if returning visa exempt. 

Here is link....

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en_US/web/guest/khai-thi-thuc-dien-tu/cap-thi-thuc-dien-tu

thanks ill check it out

2 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

I would like to drive in via Laos. Have not heard of anyone doing it some say RHD vehicles not allowed in Vietnam?

Old thread has excellent info from PhuketRichard.  

Edited by DrJack54

2 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I went to Da Nang in October 2022 UK citizen no visa required, 15 day stamp for tourism.

Some friends went to Phu Quoc a few weeks ago UK citizens no visa required.

i read UK has visa exempt but canada doesn't

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

As I mentioned above.

The eVisa takes 3 business days.

If you plan to obtain the 45 day visa exempt entry back to thailand prior to March 31 you would need to act asap

might head to Philippines or Malaysian instead, or Hong Kong, kind of thinking of the Philippines but man Vietnam would have been perfect, cheap and close by. Kind of sucks canada doesn't have good relations with them, maybe cause the vietnam war?

4 minutes ago, dj230 said:

might head to Philippines or Malaysian instead, or Hong Kong, kind of thinking of the Philippines but man Vietnam would have been perfect, cheap and close by. Kind of sucks canada doesn't have good relations with them, maybe cause the vietnam war?

Just one person's opinion but for me it's a no brainer.

Saigon airport close to Bui Vien district 1 and fairly quick on bus from airport.

20k dong.

I recently went return airfare 3500baht. 

The evisa is very simple.

3 business days for processing. $25usd.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, dj230 said:

And is there anything you have to bring like with Thailand requiring cash

If flying into Ho Chi Minh City it's a good idea to have about USD 200 as the extortion at that airport is rampant.  In my case, I refused to pay the USD 180 demanded by Immigration Officials for a fabricated "error" in my paperwork and was detained in a guarded room until I could manage to get a flight back to my originating airport - in my case BKK.  I saw other tourists paying up to USD 250.

That room had no Wi-Fi and I relied on a kind employee at JetStar to get me a sim card with which I was able to buy the return flight ticket.  I had to stay in that room until the flight time neared.  One of the worst travel experiences of my life and I will never return to Vietnam.

32 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Just one person's opinion but for me it's a no brainer.

Saigon airport close to Bui Vien district 1 and fairly quick on bus from airport.

20k dong.

I recently went return airfare 3500baht. 

The evisa is very simple.

3 business days for processing. $25usd.

if it wasn't for the evisa i'd definitely do vietnam, but just dont want to go through the hassle with it not arriving on time + having to book flights ahead of time (i.e, if i book a flight for march 30/31, evisa doesn't get approved in time, i have to cancel the flight/lose money) , ill do vietnam next time and plan ahead, i wanted to go to vietnam anyways, i'll probably plan a longer trip there for a month or so.

maybe if they extend the 45 day visa exempt then i'll go to vietnam cause i wont have the time constraint to get back by the 31st

i got a super cheap flight back to canada on may 9th or something, crazy how much flight prices can differ, the same ticket is like $4000 but some how was only $1200 on this day, so i need the 45 days or i'll have to stay overseas until april 9th, which wouldn't be that bad if i had everything planned out

Edited by dj230

53 minutes ago, Lee65 said:

If flying into Ho Chi Minh City it's a good idea to have about USD 200 as the extortion at that airport is rampant. 

Have NEVER had an issue.

Clearly your paperwork was not in order.

Why were you refused entry. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Not according to the Canadian Embassy, 30 day stamp Visa Exempt, tourism only.

A full description of the Phu Quoc visa exemption program until 2023

Do international visitors flying to Phu Quoc require a visa to enter Vietnam? It is the first and most crucial question.

All nations are eligible for a visa waiver program in Vietnam’s special economic zone of Phu Quoc. Foreign visitors do not need a Vietnam visa for trips lasting less than 30 days to Phu Quoc. Through 2023, this visa waiver scheme will remain in effect.

Please be aware that Vietnam only grants visa exemption for visitors who:

a/ You must take a direct flight into Phu Quoc.

• This flight may be straight or may make a layover somewhere outside of Vietnam (not stopover via any Vietnamese domestic airports).
  • The initial entrance airport must be Phu Quoc.
  • In the event that the airline makes a domestic trip via another Vietnamese airport, you must first complete the immigration procedure there before transferring to the domestic terminal to board the domestic flight to Phu Quoc. Therefore, in this situation, a Vietnam visa is needed.

b/ You must remain on the island of Phu Quoc only;

• The waiver of the Vietnam visa requirement only applies to Phu Quoc island.
  • If you wish to visit Phu Quoc and then go to other cities or locations in Vietnam, you must apply for a Vietnam visa.

c/ You must stay in Phu Quoc for less than 30 days

• The Phu Quoc visa exemption is only valid for a maximum of 30 days.
  • You must apply for a Vietnam visa if you want to remain for more than 30 ways
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Have NEVER had an issue.

Clearly your paperwork was not in order.

Why were you refused entry. 

You're a Doctor (medical?  academic?  imaginary?) so you can do a search?  Google <Ho Chi Minh City airport extortion>

15 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

A date would really help, was this many years ago?

4 years ago.

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Rubbish. 

State the reason you were refused entry. 

Simple question.

I stated that in my first post.  It was because I refused to pay USD 180.

Do the search I suggested.  Extortion at that airport is not uncommon.

<snip>

Edited by Jai Dee
troll comment removed.