Bangkok Bank Cardless Access to ATMs

I recently went to an ATM to withdraw cash, but forgot my Bangkok Bank ATM card. When I came back with my card, I noticed that the ATM offered cardless access to the ATM. So, I could have used my cellphone & mobile banking to get money out of the ATM.

Right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is there a charge on how many you can do per month with Bangkok bank?

For example it's really stupid. I get charged for using my card to withdraw cash outside bkk 20thb or 15thb . However if I do a cardless withdrawal I don't get charged any fee in any province. If it's unlimited cardless withdrawls then they may as well just scrap the card fee. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, hello55060 said:

For example it's really stupid. I get charged for using my card to withdraw cash outside bkk 20thb or 15thb . However if I do a cardless withdrawal I don't get charged any fee in any province. If it's unlimited cardless withdrawls then they may as well just scrap the card fee. 

Apparently you are still charged that fee for using an ATM outside of your home bank province when doing cardless withdrawals but it's charged separately. You can check your transactions to confirm though as I haven't tested it myself but have seen screenshots showing that from someone else who did.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The only downside to cardless withdrawals is you can't use the ATM of a different bank unlike with card

I noticed recently at a Bangkok Bank ATM that Aeon card holders can do cardless withdrawals there so I wonder if there's a program to expand the system to allow any bank use?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

Apparently you are still charged that fee for using an ATM outside of your home bank province when doing cardless withdrawals but it's charged separately. You can check your transactions to confirm though as I haven't tested it myself but have seen screenshots showing that from someone else who did.

My banks (Krung Thai and Kasikorn) don't charge for cardless withdrawals whether inside or outside the province where the account is held. This is why I didn't renew the atm cards when they expired. Other advantages are that you are protected against card skimmers and the card being swallowed by the atm.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, hello55060 said:

I don’t know if there is a limit but I’ve used it probably 60 times in a month and never been charged anything. 

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I use Kasikorn cardless withdrawal, also available on my Bangkok Bank and Krungsri, no need for atm cards anymore and safer

Scuba...one never stops learning..my Kbank card got hacked and I was issued a new one...the kind lady walking me through activating it brought it to my attention about this "cardless" feature...who would have thunk! I've had ATM cards for decades...

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

So, I could have used my cellphone & mobile banking to get money out of the ATM.

Each to their own. I wouldn't dream of doing transactions on a smartphone, touch screen technology and my fingers do not get along.

I don't think I have opened my Thai bank app since it was installed, and only use Wise and HSBC apps to verify webapp transactions.

• Haha 1

My experience:

Cardless withdrawals are free nationwide.

There is no limit for the number of withdrawals.

Can only be used at your banks ATM (for which you have internet banking).

The latter is obvious as the methods differ widely from scanning an OCR to entering a magic number from the internet app.

K-Bank is really easy.

Still will have cards.

1) use debit card number for online purchase/payments and at some point of sales terminals.

2) cards can be used at any other of the big banks ATMs (cash pool). Four times per calendar month within the region without a fee. Outside for a fee like 15 or 20 Baht .

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JackGats said:

I wouldn't cancel the ATM card. A card can be lost or stolen, but so can a smartphone. Better two ways than one. Plus, I don't usually walk around with my banking smartphone, preferring to leave it safe at home and bring along the ATM card.

Remember you probably have a passbook as backup in case you lose the phone

• Like 1

We see a huge and continuing progression of customers moving away from using cards at our ATM's to Cardless transactions using Mobile Banking

I travel a lot internationally on business, so I do have a new ATM card so I can get cash if need to in US, UK, Japan etc. However, I do not use the Card at all in the Thai market. 

There is a move in Thailand for interbank Cardless cooperation (i.e. use our App at other banks ATM, use other Bank Apps at our ATM). And some initial investigations less advanced into International. But that will take a LOT of time. 

All Thai banks see the volumes of transactions overall dropping on ATM's, card or Cardless. ATM is the most affected by the move to DIGITAL. We are already a largely Cashless society. So expect the use of your App as the center of your financial world to continue and to significantly accelerate. Authentication across channels using the App will become more commonplace.

We also have a good and an exciting Virtual Card which addresses many of the security concerns that many customers have regarding using cards online

Hope this all makes sense

Ian

Edited by ianguygil
Add detail

6 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Why would anyone need or want to use an ATM on average twice a day every day for a month?

I have my doubts regarding the veracity of the statement!

To avoid the hassle of changing large notes, I take cash out 400 baht at a time. That way it has to give me hundred baht notes. So If i take out 2000 baht, that’s five withdrawals right there. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sophon said:

ianguygil works for Bangkok Bank and have been helpful to many members here over the years.

Would help if he said so!

I am not a mind reader nor do I suspect are many of the forum members!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, ianguygil said:

We also have a good and an exciting Virtual Card which addresses many of the security concerns that many customers have regarding using cards online

Is that available now on a normal bank account? I've not seen anyone mention it on the forum

On 3/24/2023 at 7:39 AM, ianguygil said:

There is a move in Thailand for interbank Cardless cooperation (i.e. use our App at other banks ATM, use other Bank Apps at our ATM).

Was I correct in my recollection mentioned upthread that Aeon account holders could now use cardless withdrawal at your ATMs?

Edited by treetops

On 3/24/2023 at 3:23 PM, Everyman said:

To avoid the hassle of changing large notes,

Where is the hassle in giving a vendor a Bht1000 (the only 'large' note available) and getting change in 100s?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Where is the hassle in giving a vendor a Bht1000 (the only 'large' note available) and getting change in 100s?

Some very small shops and traders find it difficult when faced with a 1000 note . I usually go to a 7-11 to break a new 1000 - never a problem there .

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, KannikaP said:

i recall a plonker giving a baht bus driver a 1000 baht note, driver declined and sped off, plonker was confused 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1