Ford Ranger drivers are the latest dick drivers

EVENKEEL

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I take it that you are more than an average driver, but for Joe average I will never be convinced that they need a turbo charger on their trips to the supermarket. I've never owned a car with a turbocharger and during my many thousands of miles driven I never had a problem exceeding the speed limit if desired. I also never had to pay to get a turbo fixed.  Everything breaks, eventually, so the less to go wrong is always a good thing.

Example, a 4 pot 1500cc car engine can be replaced with a 3 pot 1000cc engine with a turbo that will produce more horsepower...

31 minutes ago, itsari said:

A lorry ? Only the British use that word these days ,

So? I'm British.

31 minutes ago, itsari said:

I searched Mitsubishi adds and saw one that made the truck appeal to sports enthusiasts with a model called Athlete . It could weave in and out of football players , play golf and smash through brick walls .

Amazing false advertising  and encouraging drivers to drive dangerously .

These OTT adverts encourage NOTHING. Same-same push-up bra adverts.

Edited by NanLaew

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

So? I'm British.

These OTT adverts encourage NOTHING. Same-same push-up bra adverts.

I don't agree with you .

I was born in Guildford Surrey in the heart of lorry country .

48 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've never understood why anyone that only drives on public roads gets a car with a turbo charger. If one can't drive at 150 kph it's just another thing to go wrong.

Can easily do 150 on the 7  motorway, Ranger have a top speed restriction of 180 though... can easily be bypassed though.

36 minutes ago, transam said:

Example, a 4 pot 1500cc car engine can be replaced with a 3 pot 1000cc engine with a turbo that will produce more horsepower...

You tell 'im trans.

I recall that Fords early and very successful sub-1 liter EcoBoost mills high HP were all enabled by turbochargers. Tiny ones, smaller than hamster cage wheels.

Edited by NanLaew

31 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You tell 'im trans.

I recall that Fords early and very successful sub-1 liter EcoBoost mills high HP were all enabled by turbochargers. Tiny ones, smaller than hamster cage wheels.

In the UK motor trade we call this the 'EcoBust' engine...   Very much unloved and a liability if its got more than 60k miles on it. We did try to repair some in the early days - but a nightmare - and you need a torque multiplier on the crank pulley nut - crazy torque on that. Ford now don't even recommend changing the cambelt - they replace the entire engine.

Turbos have their place, especially on Diesel engines. The 1.0 turbo-triple engines that were introduced by a range of manufacturers have ALL proven to have poor durability.

On 3/25/2023 at 8:40 AM, jaideedave said:

.Going back a couple years a mate and myself would embark on extensive road trips on our HD bikes.Any

Those Honda Dreams are tough little machines. What they lack in macho posing they more than make up for with economy and reliability. As for the  Ford Rangers they are not as fast upside down in a roadside ditch.

1 hour ago, HauptmannUK said:

In the UK motor trade we call this the 'EcoBust' engine...   Very much unloved and a liability if its got more than 60k miles on it. We did try to repair some in the early days - but a nightmare - and you need a torque multiplier on the crank pulley nut - crazy torque on that. Ford now don't even recommend changing the cambelt - they replace the entire engine.

Turbos have their place, especially on Diesel engines. The 1.0 turbo-triple engines that were introduced by a range of manufacturers have ALL proven to have poor durability.

Though the Suzuki 3 pot is a well proven engine...????

2 hours ago, transam said:

Though the Suzuki 3 pot is a well proven engine...????

Suzuki K-series is a great little engine and the naturally-aspirated versions go on forever if looked after. The K10C ('BoosterJet') is the turbo'd 1.0 version and does seem to be pretty good, although its been discontinued in most Western markets. I think they were struggling to meet emissions regs with it. Its still a relatively recent engine though so we don't have much experience of durability yet.

The simple fact is that as you try to squeeze more power out of an engine the components are subject to greater loads and tend not to last as long. Another factor is the much higher level of torsional vibration in a three cylinder engine.  

Edited by HauptmannUK