visa exempt, arriving at don mueang airport versus Suvarnabhumi Airport

Is there any difference arriving at don mueang airport versus suvarnabhumi airport when coming to thailand on visa exemption?

I noticed the flights to malaysia tend to depart from don mueang airport and arrive as well, was wondering if immigration is more strict/less strict at this airport versus suvarnabhumi airport

Talking only from personal experience, Don Muang are stricter.

Had previously 1 year extension of stay that had run out. Would think it was obvious that I would apply again, told IO, and qualify again, but IO gave me a hard time.

Since then I never let my extension run out, always have multiple re-entry - and - avoid Don Muang.

Others will join in with different opinions, so, nothing written in stone.

Just go in a queue with a male IO, said many times to be friendlier than female IO's.

Your previous entry exit history are what they check first. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Woof999 said:

What is your Thai immigration history? All my preferred airlines arrive at Suvarnabhumi.

Not the best to be honest 

About 15 month stay with covid extension from 2021-2022, back to Canada for a few months, then entered last Christmas with a 60 day tourist visa in 2022

looking to do one border run to Malaysia, fly back in visa exempt for 45 days. Have a plane ticket booked already in May. 

fairly young, mid 20’s, Asian, if that makes a difference, Canadian passport.

never had any issues with immigration, police, or overstay

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dj230 said:

About 15 month stay with covid extension from 2021-2022, back to Canada for a few months, then entered last Christmas with a 60 day tourist visa in 2022

looking to do one border run to Malaysia, fly back in visa exempt for 45 days. Have a plane ticket booked already in May. 

Read some of your other threads.

Now that you outline age and history you seriously are rolling the dice. 

Why try reenter visa exempt via air

Surely you have border bounce by land  option since it's 2 per calendar year.

Even to bounce via air you would choose country with land option eg Laos vs Vietnam.

Mid 20,s age asian if I was immigration officer I would refuse you entry with your history. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, dj230 said:

I might be being a bit thick, but I'm not quite understanding the timescales. I got the impression you were in Thailand now, but if you entered on a 60 day TV at Christmas, then even with a 30 day extension you're already at the end of that and need(ed) to leave. What is/are the flight(s) already booked in May?

1 hour ago, Woof999 said:

I might be being a bit thick, but I'm not quite understanding the timescales. I got the impression you were in Thailand now, but if you entered on a 60 day TV at Christmas, then even with a 30 day extension you're already at the end of that and need(ed) to leave. What is/are the flight(s) already booked in May?

eh just on the edge of my visa expiring, got a 30 day extension 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Read some of your other threads.

Now that you outline age and history you seriously are rolling the dice. 

Why try reenter visa exempt via air

Surely you have border bounce by land  option since it's 2 per calendar year.

Even to bounce via air you would choose country with land option eg Laos vs Vietnam.

Mid 20,s age asian if I was immigration officer I would refuse you entry with your history. 

is a land border entry safer?

yea i guess you're right, the thing is im kind of retired, just hanging out in south east asia because its cheap to live, i have an outbound flight back to toronto in may, i'll bring 20k cash i guess to try and help my odds 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No recent history to go on.

In 2019 both airports had reports of refused entry.

DMK prob the worst. 

Yes that is my recollection... although DMK supported many more short flights.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

For land border visa exempt entries, there's an official, hard limit of two per calendar year. At most land borders, they only care about that limit and won't scrutinize you arbitrarily.

Retired in your 20s, the obvious choice for you would be the Elite visa, if you plan to continue to spend lots of time in Thailand.

You'd have a hard time explaining the fact that you're already retired to a Thai immigration officer who chooses to question you, and even if they believe it, they could still argue that you need to obtain a longterm visa for your extensive stays. If you were close to the minimum age for the retirement "visa", you might have a chance to get away with what you do for a couple of years, but at your age you really need to consider your options carefully if you wish to continue spending a lot of time in Thailand. 

I was going to get an elite visa but not sure if I’ll stay in Thailand, just don’t want to pay for 5 years and stay 2 years 

this is actually my last trip to Thailand (most likely, until next year 2024) 

if they let me in I’ll stay, if not I’ll just head back to Canada for a bit, I have some stuff I need to do back in Canada for about 12 months anyways. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Yes that is my recollection... although DMK supported many more short flights.

I remember the big airport immigration was super chill/laid back when I came in December, even made me regret getting a tourist visa. Was a few minutes each traveller and stamp no questions asked. 

hoping DMK is the same, I’m a pretty chill looking person, don’t really look like the backpacker type, or typical person who goes to Thailand to “party”, hopefully that helps. 

• Haha 2

Flew out to HCM/Vietnam Saturday, flew back Sunday morning only out of the LOS about 14 hours/overnight. TBH had no idea what to expect, all ladies on the immigration desks, did the finger print scan and photo, cursory look through passport, 2 previous 45day visa's, plus a 30 day extension, always left before due expiry, no questions, stamp, stamp and a welcome to Thailand from the lady, thank you says I and off I went, no dramas. I'm a 70 year old Brit, and the G/F future wife always says dress smartly, i.e. long trousers and long-sleeved shirt.

Edited by Jeff the Chef
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Flew out to HCM/Vietnam Saturday, flew back Sunday morning only out of the LOS about 14 hours/overnight. TBH had no idea what to expect, all ladies on the immigration desks, did the finger print scan and photo, cursory look through passport, 2 previous 45day visa's, plus a 30 day extension, always left before due expiry, no questions, stamp, stamp and a welcome to Thailand from the lady, thank you says I and off I went, no dramas. I'm a 70 year old Brit, and the G/F future wife always says dress smartly, i.e. long trousers and long-sleeved shirt.

Which airport? 

yea I’ve had the same experiences you mentioned no hassles and everyone’s been friendly but you never know 

im wondering if you really only get slack from immigration if you’ve been causing trouble in Thailand, I.e overstays, tickets/fine (breaking the law), etc. 

I’ve always made sure to never overstay and I don’t break any laws in Thailand, (I.e motorbike without license/helmet, drinking alcohol in public/wrong times, don’t go to clubs/party) 

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1

I have flown into Thailand many times over the past 9 years almost exclusively to Suvarnabhumi. I flew into Don Mueang only three times and a few years ago coming back from Cambodia with my Thai fiance was the only time I was taken aside and questioned by the IM for half an hour. His reason was that I was coming to Thailand too many times and should get married so I can get a marriage visa. I asked the young guy if he was married and he responded no way. So I then asked him why he wants me to get married. He stamped my passport with an entry stamp. ???? I try to avoid DM.

• Like 2

I usually arrive on a non-O visa. As we are staying longer than 90 days this time I had to do a visa-run last month. Flew out/into DM from the Philippines and "applied" for visa-on-arrival. Female IO remarked that I usually arrived non-O. I explained that I would be flying back to Europe in 40 days time hence VOA. She smiled, stamped my passport and wished me a good stay. Didn't even ask to see an onward ticket.

Not sure what this proves as there seem to be no end of different individual experiences.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, RayC said:

I usually arrive on a non-O visa. As we are staying longer than 90 days this time I had to do a visa-run last month. Flew out/into DM from the Philippines and "applied" for visa-on-arrival. Female IO remarked that I usually arrived non-O. I explained that I would be flying back to Europe in 40 days time hence VOA. She smiled, stamped my passport and wished me a good stay. Didn't even ask to see an onward ticket.

Not sure what this proves as there seem to be no end of different individual experiences.

As you are staying 40 days, and indicate you are flying back to Europe, I am pretty sure you did not get a visa on arrival (which would not accommodate a 40-day stay as it is not extendable). I think you mean that you were allowed to enter visa exempt (i.e. without a visa). I mention this as it can become important to know the basis on which you were allowed to enter Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, RayC said:

Nice 

Just arrived, no issues at immigration, they just asked me for an onward flight, I showed them my flight for May and he smiled and said welcome to Thailand 

Didn’t ask about the 20,000 but I had 20,000 cash incase

i stayed 2 nights in Malaysia, which I have to say wasn’t very interesting (I guess Vietnam next time) 

Didn’t ask me for any hotel booking, where I will stay, or anything 

although I will admit everyone else got stamped in no questions asked and I was one of the only ones that got asked to show a proof of onward flight, which is understandable considering my travel history. 

thanks to everyone in the thread, I landed at don Mueang, immigration was super nice and smooth. 

• Thumbs Up 2