Naughty foreigners record 180 criminal charges this year in Phuket

webfact

3 hours ago, DjSilver said:

And we all know that Thais are breaking the law even more ????????????

You may have forgotten that illegal activities of any kind here are a reserved occupation for locals only.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Would be interesting to see what these criminal offenses are, Riding a scooter without a helmet does that make the list?

From the link:

"However, most of the foreign offenders were found to have broken the law in the Patong area, with offences including drunk driving, visa overstay, illegal entry, and working without a valid visa."

The answers to the problem would be to end the Russian war against Ukraine, overcome the mafia control of the Phuket transport system and create a new complete system with general Thailand pricing, and stop Brits boozing and fighting when on holiday.

Easy, peasy.

25 minutes ago, Dave0206 said:

If it were not for the tourist corrupting our police and immigration officials this " transferred to inactive post" would  be a lonely place to be sent

Are you suggesting that only foreigners give brown envelopes and all the locals are squeaky clean?

1 hour ago, Jack West Jr said:

Let me guess : only Pattaya has a worse track record . Hardly surprising : these places seem to appeal to unsavoury types where corruption is ingrained.

You have evidence Pattaya has a worse track record?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, smedly said:

this is so open to abuse

do any of these so called crimes actually go to court or do police decide on guilt ?, giving police that sort of power is highly problematic, it bypasses absolutely everything, what makes it worse is the actual penalty "red or yellow card" which is not clearly defined, what they have done is created a whole new criminal system that targets foreigners only without proper legal definitions or accountability, I do agree with law enforcement but this is verging on abuse and discrimination on a whole new level, if the law is not fit for purpose then change it 

Quite so, maybe it makes it easier for the police to collect 'fines', they say do you want to go jail for a day, then go to court, or you can pay a 'fine' now and go?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

A small price to pay for propping the economy up, they should be proud it's not in the 1000's.

So violating laws and rules is OK since there dropping coin to the locals...what planet are you on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IamNoone88 said:

Had a Russian come on all mafia attempting to intimidate me the other week when he breached his rental agreement

Are you sure it wasn't some scummy Australian or Yank? Everyone tells me that the Ivans are middle and upper class business executives and REA moguls. We should be glad to have them here, right?

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bundooman said:

and the fog-horn voices! (Halo polite, naturally).????

You do realize that all Americans have origins in all other countries right? There are over 25 million from England alone. As well as millions from every other country. I know some look at this as a joke, but sometimes the unwarranted prejudice shows. I'm from America, but my families are from Ireland and Poland. Still American though.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

You do realize that all Americans have origins in all other countries right? There are over 25 million from England alone. As well as millions from every other country. I know some look at this as a joke, but sometimes the unwarranted prejudice shows. I'm from America, but my families are from Ireland and Poland. Still American though.

How many Native American Indians are there now, the ones that were probably there 20,000 years ...????

8 hours ago, webfact said:

However, many foreigners don’t know about Thai culture or Thai laws, Phuket Immigration noted. As a result, many foreigners claimed when arrested or told about penalties based on their behavior that they didn’t know the law or rules or claimed that nobody had clearly told them the laws or rules.

Some time ago a high ranked police officer admitted that the RTP don't know the laws too... So how can you expect that foreigners know the laws if the ones who have to enforce them don't even know what to enforce. Besides RTP and Immigration are often making own laws and rules which makes it for foreigners even more difficult. Examples enough... different  immigration offices, different ways of working....And let us be fair... as we could read in Bali it are mostly the Russians who disbehaving... the quality tourists and the Chinese??? why must the Chinese Embassy assure that the Chinese are safe in Thailand??

• Like 2