Naughty foreigners record 180 criminal charges this year in Phuket

webfact

47 minutes ago, John Drake said:

A high percentage of Russians will result in a higher percentage of assaults, vandalism, and immigration violations. As for the French and British, that's a bit different. The British, at least based on the anecdotal evidence in this forum, only seem to get into fights when they're younger. Otherwise, they just tend to be loud drunks, which may or may not lead to all that jumping off balconies and scooter accidents and the concomitant proliferation of Go Fund Me accounts. 

Many years ago the Australian authorities announced that Thailand was the overseas country where the most Australians had died in the previous year.

The most common causes of (premature, mostly younger people) death:

Drowning
Illicit drugs
Alcohol
Motorbike accidents

(Not necessarily in that order).

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Are you suggesting that only foreigners give brown envelopes and all the locals are squeaky clean?

Read it as you wish it was meant as a joke but humour is not for everyone .

I'm sure if a donation has been received then I assume no crime was reported 

8 hours ago, DjSilver said:

And we all know that Thais are breaking the law even more ????????????

But it's their country. Imagine how you'd feel in your home country if you read about immigrants - because that's what we all are, remember - behaving badly. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Drumbuie said:

But it's their country. Imagine how you'd feel in your home country if you read about immigrants - because that's what we all are, remember - behaving badly. 

We are not 'immigrants', the majority are tourists who stay for a few weeks, there are long stay folks on 'marriage or retirement visas', but there are very few actual immigrants?

• Thumbs Up 2

36 minutes ago, John Drake said:

The Russians I've run across are hostile, aggressive, and rude.

That sounds about right based on my own dealings with them. It would seem at least 2/3 of the posters here and on other platforms have had the same experience. People whinge about racism etc. in peoples posts but a good deal of the time the comments or posts stay up free from moderation. Clearly the majority has run out of patience with Blyat and Sasha.

• Like 1

180 charges in 3 months is not bad at all really ,  entering illegally would only apply to Burmese and Cambodians and the like as it's virtually impossible to do that by air.  there was a couple of more serious crimes mentioned but once you have discounted illegal entry and overstay its probably less than 100    so about one a day so far .  Not the end of the world by a long shot, In fact with all the Russians there I would say the police need a kick up the ass and told to do their job a bit more efficiently.

Some Brits do have a problem with alcohol, that is true  but its nothing compared to some Scandinavians,  Danes and Finns in particular from what I've seen

4 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Many years ago the Australian authorities announced that Thailand was the overseas country where the most Australians had died in the previous year.

The most common causes of (premature, mostly younger people) death:

Drowning
Illicit drugs
Alcohol
Motorbike accidents

(Not necessarily in that order).

I call b/s on all of that,   and you would need to produce some actual figures if you wish to retain any credibility

• Sad 1

"Most cases are drunk driving, following by overstaying, illegally entering the kingdom, and working without a work permit. "

I always considered these bad criminals to be things like:

-Murder

- Rape

- Aggravated assault

- Kidnapping

- Robbery

- Drug trafficking

Well, Drunk driving, not safe for others now is it? Somewhat like someone driving too fast I would think. Any of that in Thailand?

Well, if anyone oversteps the country's boundary, uninvited, I would still feel safe. Great feeling actually, to feel safe.

And if anyone would do the criminal thing of 'working', without a permit. I might worry about my safety, never know what type of work they would do.

Or even being forgetful. Not renewing a permission to stay. I already feel unsafe. Actually I once was in a situation where I could not leave the country, and I could not remain in this country. I wonder how many people felt unsafe because of that...

Safety, someone should start thinking about that concept here. Anyone not wearing a helmet, it simply does not make me feel insecure. Or having the wrong driving license. It does not make me feel insecure. Particularly in this country....

Edited by Andre0720

13 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I call b/s on all of that,   and you would need to produce some actual figures if you wish to retain any credibility

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-05/thailand-tops-the-list-of-deadly-destinations-for-australians/9020610?utm_campaign=abc_news_web&utm_content=link&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_news_web

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, digger70 said:

They don't mention that anymore , That's common knowledge.

A common misguided observation.

They report it constantly in the Thai press. Major Thai crimes w/ appealing drama for our ghouls, or traffic violations for our large brigade of self-righteous Brit Driving Instructors, typically get reported here. It's all about marketing.

So this story was written by web content hack "Peter Roche" to appeal to the English-speaking audience only, who have an interest in the misdeeds of other farangs. The media directors know well that these kinds of articles always get lots of views from our whataboutistas such as yourself, too, who'll generate more free content for the site and even more views.

Remember, if you're not paying for a product, you are the product. 

Edited by BigStar

20 minutes ago, BigStar said:

But the article didn't claim they are "bad" criminals. Just criminals. Want "bad," confine yourself to reading about "bad."

If you want to read from people who 'confine' themselves, please do not read any of my posts.

And thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

When you assume you actually know who or what a person here is by a few posts, it makes you look very foolish. Anyone can tell by what I type that I do indeed understand English. Actually, I have taught it here part time and was hired by the school because I'm a native English speaker, if you can comprehend what that entails. I don't whine about anything, I state things as they are, and don't make opinions, like your assumptions. Showing that you are prejudiced shows your shortcomings to anyone that isn't prejudiced. You made your assumptions and showed by your posts how you think. You are either prejudiced or you aren't, and you show you are. Not a good way to be. It's not my position to try and change what people say here. It's their choice. A person's character is there for all to see when they speak. This post explained that 180 foreigners were arrested for crimes, and that most were Russian, French and Brits. Some here have said that those said nationalities were like that from their experience. I defended those nationalities because judging a nationality by the actions of a few isn't just prejudiced, but ignorant.

I thought you, of all people, would have known about paragraphs....????

It makes for easier reading....????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, transam said:

I thought you, of all people, would have known about paragraphs....????

It makes for easier reading....????

If you can't comprehend a long paragraph, I can suggest a few schools in your area.I kept my paragraph under 300 words, which is the standard for academic writing. All of my points were of the same topic. And showing emoticons, like you do a lot of the time, is for self gratification, and not many are amused. Is that short enough for ya?

Edited by fredwiggy

11 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

When you assume you actually know who or what a person here is by a few posts, it makes you look very foolish. Anyone can tell by what I type that I do indeed understand English. Actually, I have taught it here part time and was hired by the school because I'm a native English speaker, if you can comprehend what that entails. I don't whine about anything, I state things as they are, and don't make opinions, like your assumptions. Showing that you are prejudiced shows your shortcomings to anyone that isn't prejudiced. You made your assumptions and showed by your posts how you think. You are either prejudiced or you aren't, and you show you are. Not a good way to be. It's not my position to try and change what people say here. It's their choice. A person's character is there for all to see when they speak. This post explained that 180 foreigners were arrested for crimes, and that most were Russian, French and Brits. Some here have said that those said nationalities were like that from their experience. I defended those nationalities because judging a nationality by the actions of a few isn't just prejudiced, but ignorant.

"You are either prejudiced or you aren't, and you show you are."

preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

"prejudice against people from different backgrounds"

Are you saying that you can distinguish "Preconceived opinion", from "postconceived opinion".

How do you do that???6

30 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

If you want to read from people who 'confine' themselves, please do not read any of my posts.

And thank you.

Oh, I'm open. I'll point your superfluous personal definitions outside the scope of the topic as I please. You're welcome.

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

As I said b/s     "the main causes were illness and natural causes"   so where did you dream up   alcohol , illicit drugs, motorcycle accidents and drowning ?  And there was only 209 intotal  lol    You are just making things up.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

As I said b/s     "the main causes were illness and natural causes"   so where did you dream up   alcohol , illicit drugs, motorcycle accidents and drowning ?  And there was only 209 intotal  lol    You are just making things up.

You conveniently forgot to mention that accidents are mentioned. 

Edited by Andrew65
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

You conveniently forgot to mention that accidents are mentioned. 

I didn't conveniently  forget anything , there were no figures specifically for Thailand other than 203 deaths , If that is the highest number of deaths abroad  it hardly defines Thailand as a  "dangerous place"

Deaths were attributed to " natural causes , illness, and accidents"  for   Thailand , Philippines, USA , Indonesia, and Vietnam, there was no figures specifically for Thailand,  so there may actually have been no accidents in Thailand 

Looks like you didn't even read your own link , and then just added drugs and alcohol and motorbikes and drowning yourself,  a bit like a tabloid newspaper,  I suggested you supply figures,you did not   Your credibility is fading fast 

9 hours ago, smedly said:

paying a fine is not the issue, fines have always been there, the issue here is getting threatened with "red/yellow card" and what comes with that

for Serious offences like DUI already come with hefty penalties like large fines and jail, I think foreigners should be deported for committing serious crimes after normal penalties under law are served, This red/yellow card abuse is additional to that, you now run the risk of getting deported seemingly for not wearing a helmet or for other equally minor infringments - this has all come about because Phuket police were unable to deal with foreign/thai scooter mobs racings around the streets under normal lawful means so they have invented something outside of the normal application of current law and enforcement 

I'm amazed that this rather significant point has been overlooked - it isn't mentioned anywhere in the comments or even the opening article. To invent a law enforcement system after being inspired by the recent World Cup tournament is not much different to printing up "go directly to jail" cards after a stimulating game of Monopoly. 

• Haha 1