14 year old Thai Motorcycle Driver Learns Their Lesson

On 3/27/2023 at 6:39 AM, SiSePuede419 said:

The cops did confiscate the memory card of our car's dashcam for their "investigation".

It's good to carry a pre-recorded SD card.  Keep the one from the accident and make copies, then provide copies to your insurance company and the cops.
If they take your SD from the accident, you lose your proof of what happened.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

If I was involved in the death of an underage rider and the rider was 100% at fault, there is no way I would have any guilt.

I would certainly feel sorry for the child, as it was not their fault their stupid parents gave them the motorbike keys.

For the benefit of the poster with the saddo emo, how would you feel if one of your family was killed by an underage rider?

• Sad 1

On 3/27/2023 at 8:59 AM, Kwasaki said:

In Thailand turning right, turning left,  reversing always look out for motorbikes a lesson you have learnt as well. 

Yep.  More than once I've signaled to make a right hand turn into my own drive-way only to have a car or truck blow by me on the right.  You have to drive defensively as the cops will always have a bias toward Thais and against you.
Then even if you are found to be in the right, what good does it do you if the moron who hits you has no insurance to cover damage to (you and) your car?

On 3/27/2023 at 9:14 AM, realfunster said:

the latter was a moot point, insurance paid for it anyway. 

How much did your insurance premiums go up after they paid for someone else damaging your car?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, dlclark97 said:

Not recent but my Thai wife was driving our daughter to school.  As she slowly went through an intersection that had STOP signs for vehicles to enter the intersection from either her left or right sides an older man with his wife on the back of a motorcycle passed other motorcycles that had stopped for the stop sign and ran straight into the side door of her truck.  There were several witnesses.  The man was knocked unconscious as his head hit the truck.  He had to be taken away by ambulance and spent many weeks in the hospital.  His wife had minor injuries.  He was quite old, no helmet, no license, no road tax and of course no insurance.  He had run through the stop sign without even slowing down.  Police and an insurance adjuster on scene both determined my wife was not at fault.  However, the police held my wife's driving license for many months as the injured family insisted on 300,000 baht compensation and would not mediate.  The wife was given a paper allowing her to continue driving.  The family constantly harassed us over their compensation demand.  The day before the man was to be released from the hospital the family called and insisted she appear at the hospital with 300,000 baht.  She did not go.  After many months the family came to mediate and my wife offered 25,000 baht or go to court where she was told she would surely win the case.  How much for the lawyers?  Luckily the family settled for the 25,000 baht.  Not right but that was how it went for her.   

If she wasn't married to a farang, there would have been no payment at all.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/27/2023 at 2:39 AM, SiSePuede419 said:

The cops did confiscate the memory card of our car's dashcam for their "investigation".

Were you able to make a copy ?... 

Could you not download it and send them the video of the incident ?

In the past after witnessing an accident caught on Dash-cam, I gave the BiB a copy of the Dash-cam footage (sent via LineMessenger).

Now you have to buy a new SD card...   

51 minutes ago, connda said:

Yep.  More than once I've signaled to make a right hand turn into my own drive-way only to have a car or truck blow by me on the right.  You have to drive defensively as the cops will always have a bias toward Thais and against you.
Then even if you are found to be in the right, what good does it do you if the moron who hits you has no insurance to cover damage to (you and) your car?

On roads anywhere you have be ready to dance with the devil. ????

2 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

It may have been the fault of the 14 year old kid, but you could easily have avoided the accident with a split second glance in your door mirror before turning.

You can be smug apportioning the blame, but avoiding the accident would have been smarter; you are in Thailand where defensive driving skills are of paramount importance.

Yet its sometimes impossible...  Eyes on stalks, head on a swivel, checking mirrors, blindspots, shoulder-checks... I’ll lost count of the amount of times I’ve so very nearly clipped a motorcycle when about to turn right and also very commonly when about to turn left...  it was only through fortune that this didn’t happen. 

In my younger years here I was also involved in a very similar incident. 

Turning right... a van driving the wrong way up the clear bus lane (oncoming lane) hit me as I turned.

He’d turned right onto the bus-lane and instead of joining the queuing traffic, just continued up the wrong side of the road (3 lanes on my side / 2 oncoming lanes (busses only) which was empty.

The BiB were fair - the other van had no insurance, on the advice of my insurance guy I agreed to 50% and my insurance paid for my damages only. 

When people drive the way they do here its impossible to catch all of them all of the time and an incident is inevitable and can’t be avoided. 

It's easy for the sanctimonious to suggest we should have seen them / checked more carefully etc, but those same characters completely overlook reality... until it happens to them !. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yet its sometimes impossible...  Eyes on stalks, head on a swivel, checking mirrors, blindspots, shoulder-checks... I’ll lost count of the amount of times I’ve so very nearly clipped a motorcycle when about to turn right and also very commonly when about to turn left...  it was only through fortune that this didn’t happen. 

In my younger years here I was also involved in a very similar incident. 

Turning right... a van driving the wrong way up the clear bus lane (oncoming lane) hit me as I turned.

He’d turned right onto the bus-lane and instead of joining the queuing traffic, just continued up the wrong side of the road (3 lanes on my side / 2 oncoming lanes (busses only) which was empty.

When people drive the way they do here its impossible to catch all of them all of the time and an incident is inevitable and can’t be avoided. 

It's easy for the sanctimonious to suggest we should have seen them / checked more carefully etc, but those same characters completely overlook reality... until it happens to them !. 

A bit unfair I reckon knowing what Thailand is like when it comes driving and riding habits here, nothing sanctimonious really about pointing out to OP he should think about what happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sanctimonious for suggesting using your mirror before turning right, rather than assuming that your flashing indicator makes you bulletproof. Sanctimonious for suggesting the use of a defensive driving technique that should be mandatory; what a bizarre comment.

None of us can guarantee our safety on the roads in Thailand, or anywhere else for that matter, but one can certainly minimise the risks with certain driving habits.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Careful.... that won’t sit well with the sanctimonious judgment that Jimn is tripping over himself to dispatch !!! ????

Gloating that he made the mother work for no pay is nothing to be proud of. Yes of course the kid was at fault but nothing was achieved by punishing the mother and playing the big "look at me I am a Farang, I can do what I want". In fact as many have pointed out, check and double check mirrors before turning. Always expect someone to over or undertake you. Its in the genes, its not going to change.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think blaming the op for not being observant enough is extremely sanctimonious - he [Eloquent Pilgrim] stated "but you could easily have avoided the accident with a split second glance in your door mirror before turning. That is sanctimonious and unfair IMO.

Its not as if the Op was driving down the road, jumping lights etc...  

I find it unreasonable to suggest from the comfort of keyboard that a driver can always see what these motorcyclists are up to when they ‘dart out of nowhere’...

One of the reasons I haven’t clipped motorcyclists in similar situations is blind luck and in some cases centimetres have mattered !!... I imagine that if we are being honest with ourselves, many of us can say the same. 

IF any driver believes they are so observant they can avoid any accident through the skill of their observations and defensive driving, they in for a lesson when their luck runs out. 

I respect your POV as you have experience of Thailand.

Didn't sound to me that OP had experience of the situation he found himself in. 

I hope he learns from experience even though it was not his mistake.

54 minutes ago, jimn said:

Gloating that he made the mother work for no pay is nothing to be proud of. Yes of course the kid was at fault but nothing was achieved by punishing the mother and playing the big "look at me I am a Farang, I can do what I want". In fact as many have pointed out, check and double check mirrors before turning. Always expect someone to over or undertake you. Its in the genes, its not going to change.

That's it take it out of context with your bizarre account of what happened.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 3/27/2023 at 9:22 AM, Kwasaki said:

Yeah kid hit my truck my Mrs told me his family very poor, so i got it fixed 2,200.

The mother did come to the house and apologize and worked on our farmland for nowt in payment.

Just to add the mother ask what she could do, as she had no money, so the Mrs said you can do some work on the farm, the mother was happy to do it and still works on the farm and from time to time being paid for it. 

When something happens again I'll write a book for the critic's here. ????

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/29/2023 at 10:51 AM, connda said:

...  You have to drive defensively as the cops will always have a bias toward Thais and against you.

No they won't.

Then your insurance will take care of it all.

On 3/29/2023 at 10:54 AM, connda said:

How much did your insurance premiums go up after they paid for someone else damaging your car?

Mine didn't.

On 3/29/2023 at 10:57 AM, connda said:

If she wasn't married to a farang, there would have been no payment at all.

My wife didn't pay anything.

18 hours ago, jimn said:

Being aware of and/or practicing krieng-jai isn't a written part of the Thailand Highway Code.

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yet its sometimes impossible...  Eyes on stalks, head on a swivel, checking mirrors, blindspots, shoulder-checks...

I'll tell you what's impossible. I came across what must be the fastest traffic lights in the country on my way back from Mukdahan yesterday afternoon. By the time I had done all those life-preserving safety checks, the bloody light had turned red again! And I was at the front!!

• Haha 1