Use of Thailand BANK Debit Card or CASH in VIETNAM

Best advise for my seven night visit to Danang, Viet Nam. I have Debit card Issued by Bangkok Bank and UOB both mastercard. Is it better to use there or best to use cash - TAKE THB from here convert in local cuurency ? Ofcourse I need to pay  Hotel bill on check in expected around THB 30000 depending on rate. Looked at UOB Bank they convert amount in US$ than in THB plus 2.5% charge. I thought its expensive ? Any advise remoendation as well where to convert THB in to Vietnam Cuurency in Danang ? I have UK credit card but prefer to use THB or Thai Debit card. Many thanks in advance for all advice.

On 3/27/2023 at 10:46 AM, JoseThailand said:

For such a known for its scams country as Vietnam, I would recommend using debit cards whenever possible, less chance of a scam. With debit cards, you are protected by a chargeback mechanism in case something goes wrong. With cash, there is no such protection.

I don't think that is correct.

I would probably be more wary of scams in Thailand.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/27/2023 at 10:38 AM, John9 said:

Ofcourse I need to pay  Hotel bill on check in expected around THB 30000 depending on rate. Looked at UOB Bank they convert amount in US$ than in THB plus 2.5% charge. I thought its expensive ?

Not going to help you at the moment. When I went to Lao a few weeks back we had to pay the hotel on check in. Agoda prices are based in USD and I just used my Wise card which usually has a USD balance. All very easy and no charges,  maybe something to think about.

If you use the UK credit card you will be faced with the non sterling transaction fee and if the bank has not been informed a possibility of the transaction being blocked.

In your position I would stick to cash. Unlike Bali, I found the rates for THB to be fairly consistent in Vietnam if you stick to recognised exchangers. 

5 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

You are wrong. They can sort it out in just minutes. Check out this thread: 

how is a whole thread on multiple people being given the run around from the bank 'sorted in minutes'? 

I have used K-Web online card and disputed charges before and it took weeks, standard debit cards i'd say forget it

3 hours ago, digbeth said:

how is a whole thread on multiple people being given the run around from the bank 'sorted in minutes'? 

I have used K-Web online card and disputed charges before and it took weeks, standard debit cards i'd say forget it

Maybe with Kasikorn it really took weeks. This guy was luckier with Bangkok Bank. Different bank, different procedures. Kasikorn being the peoples' bank with the largest number of customers is notorious for long queues at branches and overall being slow.