How to cancel transaction on K-Bank debit card?

Having a printout of my K-Bank debit card transactions overseas, I noticed that a hotel abroad charged me twice for staying there in February (cash, then one day later debiting the card for the same amount). 

What is the procedure (at a bank branch) to have such a debit cancelled? (I was just told over the phone by K-Bank customer service to 'contact the firm that debited the amount', but I haven't received an answer from them yet.)

Edited by StayinThailand2much

9 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Credit card transaction can be traced and corrected thru bank channels or Visa/MC etc, but debit card can only be corrected by the vendor, not by the Bank that issued your card. So just keep onto the vendor that double charged you.

Thank you.

Anyhow, learnt a lesson on how to book accommodation. Won't use 'give card details, but pay later' option anymore.

• Like 1

this is what happened to me:

i bought a pc game for someone using stream (its a game platform) using my debit card. well there was a problem and i asked for refund. Stream platform did the refund but i had nothing back in the bank account so i contacted to the bank. they told me i need to send them the order and refund email or any document showing the refund. I did. they paid the money back in a week

so i suggest you to contact with the hotel and get a refund paper. and give it to the bank. 

suggestion: you paid using debit card. Also paid in cash. So just email to the hotel with the screenshot of debit card charge and your receipt paid cash. and give them your bank account. they will do the refund in a week too. thats better.  

• Like 1

Happened to me once in BKK, hotel charged me twice for the room. I noticed online already before checkout, but the manager at the hotel couldn't help, or just wouldn’t.
Next day I went to my local bank office in Pattaya, and they sorted it in a few minutes, refund to my account after a day or two.
This was my Bangkok Bank Debit Card.

If you still have the cash receipt from the hotel, then take that and the printout of the transaction to your bank, they should be able to sort it out for you. 

Edited by MTH
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fdsa said:

@StayinThailand2much @MTH

How could you notice the transaction "later", don't you receive a SMS notification after every single transaction?

You definitely should enable this option.

That’s good advice and I’ve had SMS notifications enabled since then.

5 hours ago, fdsa said:

@StayinThailand2much @MTH

How could you notice the transaction "later", don't you receive a SMS notification after every single transaction?

You definitely should enable this option.

As for me, the transaction happened when I was overseas, so I didn't get messages from DTAC, obviously.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, problemfarang said:

suggestion: you paid using debit card. Also paid in cash. So just email to the hotel with the screenshot of debit card charge and your receipt paid cash. and give them your bank account. they will do the refund in a week too. thats better.  

The problem is, after several emails and messages, no reply.

4 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

NZ wasn't really offered, and it seemed relatively expensive just to receive SMS.

If you go again it's worth noting that enabling roaming to receive SMS's costs precisely zero.  Don't confuse it with data roaming which is far from free, neither is receiving or making phone calls.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 10:50 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

What is the procedure (at a bank branch) to have such a debit cancelled? (I was just told over the phone by K-Bank customer service to 'contact the firm that debited the amount', but I haven't received an answer from them yet.)

I am a former banker.  The debit cards used are either MasterCard or Visa.  As such the issuing bank has to adhere to their rules.  

In theory a debit card offers the same protection as a credit card.  In practice you will find the issuing banks less helpful with problem transactions on debit cards versus credit cards.  With the former, it is your money, with credit cards it is their money.  

You should make a formal request to "contest the charge"  Typically that has to be in writing.  The bank then is required to investigate.  If they find it is a duplicate they reverse the debit and you are fine. 

Expect to make several calls to follow up.  The issuing bank has to expend its time and effort and frankly most are not very dilligent. 

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Not in the UK under section 75 of the CCA.

I "think" we are saying the same thing.  The act as I read it says the card company can be held responsible. 

My point was that MasterCard and Visa have rules and they indicate that the issuing bank provides the same protection for people using those cards.  While that may be in the regulation, banks have traditionally pursued investigating charge transactions more aggressively than debit transactions.  Consider, if you don't like the ruling from the credit card company you can always say, I just wont pay the invoice when it comes due.  You can't do that with a debit card.  Knowing that, the banks are often much more dilegent about contested charges make on a credit versus a debit card. 

image.png.4e3331174d2756e230901a3151c2c8f3.png

Edited by Longwood50

On 3/28/2023 at 12:10 AM, StayinThailand2much said:

Thank you.

Anyhow, learnt a lesson on how to book accommodation. Won't use 'give card details, but pay later' option anymore.

All these people are giving you crap information.  If you made a purchase with your debit card or Kasikorns Web Virtual Card, that purchase is covered by Mastercard and Visa.  

Stop listening to nudniks and call Kbank.  If you paid for something and the service is not provided, you can involve the bank. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It wasn't debited off your card, it was charged to your card.  The bank rep is lazy. Call the bank and use the card services people there.   

Do you have proof you paid with cash?  If you don't, your are f842747R&R&YWED

21 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

The "Credit" card company can but the "Debit" card company is not covered by law. (not in the UK that is)

The UK law if you are correct is irrelevant.  MasterCard and Visa rules which all issuing banks have to agree to state a debit card transaction can be contested.  

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

Do you have proof you paid with cash?  If you don't, your are f842747R&R&YWED

Good point. No, but I learnt my lesson and will ask for a receipt with the name or signature of the recipient every time from now on.

Fortunately, after numerous messages, the hotel finally returned the double payment.

Edited by StayinThailand2much