Humza Yousaf succeeds Nicola Sturgeon as SNP leader

webfact

image.jpeg
Humza Yousaf told his party now it is time for the SNP to come together and deliver independence

By Stuart Nicolson
BBC Scotland News

Humza Yousaf is to succeed Nicola Sturgeon as SNP leader and Scotland's first minister after a vote of party members.

Mr Yousaf defeated rivals Kate Forbes and Ash Regan in a leadership contest that exposed deep divisions within the party.

The 37-year-old is the first Muslim to lead a major UK party. 

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-65086551

BBC.jpg

-- © Copyright BBC 2023-03-28
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, James105 said:

Independence?  This guy has failed at everything he has touched.  The union has not looked more secure since the act of union in 1707.   

The SNP is not independence and is not the independence movement. If you genuinely believe that these times are the pinnacle of union strength then you must be living in a cave. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

As pointed out elsewhere, if Humza was to lead us to independence, it would be somewhat ironic if a Muslim Scot of Pakistani descent was to negotiate the separation of the UK with a Hindu Englishman of Indian heritage 

It won't happen, the SNP has been shown to be a disgrace in recent months. A nobody now takes control, good news for the UK....????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

As pointed out elsewhere, if Humza was to lead us to independence, it would be somewhat ironic if a Muslim Scot of Pakistani descent was to negotiate the separation of the UK with a Hindu Englishman of Indian heritage 

Wonder whether it will be the same as the partition of India/Pakistan with about 1 million people dying and English and Scots fighting and killing each other as they scramble to their owm sides of the border 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Wonder whether it will be the same as the partition of India/Pakistan with about 1 million people dying and English and Scots fighting and killing each other as they scramble to their owm sides of the border 

I think that the religious fervour is a little less of a concern in either country - plus let's hope that the grasping, thieving days of empire are well and truly in the past. All we need returned is the area of Scottish waters annexed by Blair in '99 and things will be tickety boo, I am sure. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I cannot , ask for it to be deleted if you want 

I am more interested in understanding its provenance rather than upholding forum rules. Surely you know where you copied it from? That said, the spelling mistakes makes me think it is a blog rather than a news or academic - plus it is referring to the boundary defined by the Civil Jurisdiction (Offshore Activities) Act 1987 rather than the amendment made in '99.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Just now need a Bangladeshi to take charge of Wales .

Maybe that could solve the Shamima  Begun issue ?

Bring her back to lead Wales ?

We have a Scotsman in charge of Scotland and an Englishman in charge of the UK. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I am more interested in understanding its provenance rather than upholding forum rules. Surely you know where you copied it from? That said, the spelling mistakes makes me think it is a blog rather than a news or academic - plus it is referring to the boundary defined by the Civil Jurisdiction (Offshore Activities) Act 1987 rather than the amendment made in '99.

Its been deleted now, so nevermind 

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Previously there were Scottish people in charge of the U.K 

Does it really matter where a person comes from ?

Absolutely not - but you made a comment about a Bangladeshi taking control of Wales. Forgive me if I incorrectly inferred that you were suggesting that Humza was Pakistani or Sunak was Indian, but I can't really see any other reason you would make such a comment. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Absolutely not - but you made a comment about a Bangladeshi taking control of Wales. Forgive me if I incorrectly inferred that you were suggesting that Humza was Pakistani or Sunak was Indian, but I can't really see any other reason you would make such a comment. 

Let me explain 

Humza is of Pakistani descent 

Sunak is of Indian descent 

Both India and Pakistan were one united Country pre inference 

Begun is of Bangladeshi descent 

Bangladesh was also part of the India/Pakistan/Bangladesh untied country before partition .

So England , Scotland and Wales all having leaders from the old India

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

No, as they are all from the UK.

As they will be for many generations to come.

If that is to be the case then some fundamental changes need to happen. Brexit, for a start, is hated across all Scotland, and the effect on Scotland has been more extreme than most other areas of the UK. Labour offers no remedy for the situation we have been placed in. The prospect of an independent Scotland joining the EU is much more appealing to many, than to remain a stubborn limb of a sinking state. 

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

You can try to explain all you like - but that was as tortured as it was contrived. I think I know what you were really inferring. You see, Sunak was born in Southampton and Yousaf in Glasgow. They are as British as you and me. 

I am not suggesting otherwise .

Are you denying their heritage ?

They are all British with Indian heritage  

I do hope that you aren't trying to cancel their heritage 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I am not suggesting otherwise .

Are you denying their heritage ?

They are all British with Indian heritage  

I do hope that you aren't trying to cancel their heritage 

Absolutely not - in fact I referenced it in my first post. 

What I did not write about, however, was an Indian and a Pakistani negotiating the break up of the UK - because they are both British. That is why I picked up on your suggestion that a Bangladeshi should lead Wales. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Absolutely not - in fact I referenced it in my first post. 

What I did not write about, however, was an Indian and a Pakistani negotiating the break up of the UK - because they are both British. That is why I picked up on your suggestion that a Bangladeshi should lead Wales. 

No one has said that they are an Indian or a Pakistani .

You need to wait for someone to say that they are Indian/Pakistani. before you play that card . 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

No one has said that they are an Indian or a Pakistani .

You need to wait for someone to say that they are Indian/Pakistani. before you play that card . 

So where is the relevance of this?

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Just now need a Bangladeshi to take charge of Wales .

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

You can try to explain all you like - but that was as tortured as it was contrived. I think I know what you were really inferring. You see, Sunak was born in Southampton and Yousaf in Glasgow. They are as British as you and me. 

I thought they were brought up in the way of their foreign born parents, I mean, Sunak wears some stuff on his wrist, and furnished No.10 wiv Indian style stuff. Now to me that comes from his family country roots...

On top of that, Sady Khan is doing his best to p_ss off Londoners...????