Beer readily available at 7/11's ??

banglay

Hello All ! I am doing a motorbike  road trip around all the Southern provinces next week and a bit of local knowledge is needed .After a full day on the saddle I like a couple of beers to relax and unwind , my question is  :- Do all the 7/11's in the southern provinces sell beer ? or is it a bit of a hit or miss affair?

Cheers in advance ????????????

39 minutes ago, banglay said:

That's the same all over Thailand ...  can you shed any light on the non gas station 7/11's?

Stayed in Pak Bara last night to head to Koh Lipe today & no problem buying beers in either of the 2 7-11s I popped into. 

in fact I’d say they had a better selection than my. Local 7-11 in Wongamat. . 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Stayed in Pak Bara last night to head to Koh Lipe today & no problem buying beers in either of the 2 7-11s I popped into. 

in fact I’d say they had a better selection than my. Local 7-11 in Wongamat. . 

I know that in Touristy areas 7/11's will be selling beer ,, but I'll be in rural areas next to the Malaysia borders and staying in Thai resorts or lodgings    but I will be in the Pak Bara area when starting to head back to my home ????

6 minutes ago, banglay said:

I know that in Touristy areas 7/11's will be selling beer ,, but I'll be in rural areas next to the Malaysia borders and staying in Thai resorts or lodgings    but I will be in the Pak Bara area when starting to head back to my home ????

I wouldn't read too much into being near Malaysia. After all, alcohol is readily available in Malaysia. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, banglay said:

Just bring a bottle of scotch. Buy soda and ice each evening. Problem solved

No shortage of booze in south. Malay and Thai Muslims drink

Edited by Menken
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, banglay said:

I mention Pak Bara as it’s the most obviously Muslim place I’ve visited in Thailand, other areas I’ve visited in the South (e.g.  the GF’s family who live approx 20miles from the Malaysian border) have been non-Muslim (no problems getting alcohol or pork). 

BTW on the Koh Lipe boat now & this is what is under the seats in front of me…

4E8D56EB-C17C-4647-AAB4-484305D46A25.thumb.jpeg.2b5ee97ca25c2964e56080676e2b7383.jpeg

• Haha 2

It's possible in some rural parts of Narathiwat, Yala, and Pattani that a 7-11 might not sell alcohol, but 7-11s in the main towns will. Note that many resorts/hotels in the deep south are halal, so pork and alcohol free. Certainly in Songkhla, Trang and Satun you won't have an issue. It's the east coast that is more conservative, if you cross into Malaysia then in both Kelantan and northern Terengganu you'll find areas where alcohol is hard to find.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I mention Pak Bara as it’s the most obviously Muslim place I’ve visited in Thailand, other areas I’ve visited in the South (e.g.  the GF’s family who live approx 20miles from the Malaysian border) have been non-Muslim (no problems getting alcohol or pork). 

BTW on the Koh Lipe boat now & this is what is under the seats in front of me…

4E8D56EB-C17C-4647-AAB4-484305D46A25.thumb.jpeg.2b5ee97ca25c2964e56080676e2b7383.jpeg

you take your own beer with you "Good man" lol .   a bit off topic but can you take a motorbike on any of  the ferry to Koh Lipe ? ( I know I am grasping at straws here lol)

1 hour ago, banglay said:

you take your own beer with you "Good man" lol .   a bit off topic but can you take a motorbike on any of  the ferry to Koh Lipe ? ( I know I am grasping at straws here lol)

lol, No, that was the boat carrying the beer, I just happened to be sat in the seat behind ????

i haven’t seen any ferry’s, all long/speed boats but I guess you could make arrangements to leave it somewhere secure if you did fancy a few days on Lipe. 

5 hours ago, banglay said:

That's the same all over Thailand ...  can you shed any light on the non gas station 7/11's?

7-11's and all the other smaller convenience stores will sell beer.

Depending on the outlet the choice maybe limited.

8 hours ago, banglay said:

Nothing to shed on just that they usually stick to official rules.

Selling times: 11:00 to 14:00 and 17:00 to 24:00 (midnight).

No sale on Buddhist holidays and other dry days.

But really: if you are on motorbike tour there so many roadside mom/pop shops, street food places to buy a beer. They often don't take it too serious with the rules.

• Like 1

Expect it relates to the issue with drinking and driving in Thailand.  Reduces spur of the moment temptation.  

9 hours ago, banglay said:

With some of  the Southern Provinces being predominantly Muslim I assumed that some 7/11's would refrain from selling alcoholic  beverages due to peer pressure,

Quite right. Most Muslim owned franchises do not sell alcohol.

• Like 1

Why would you want to? its a tiny island with about 5 roads.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Muslims like beer too. Believe me, I've lived in the Arab world long enough to know.

Liking it and selling it are two different issues. Not long before the pandemic I made the mistake of booking into a hotel on Langkawi where no alcohol allowed on the premises. Takes the edge off when confined to the room.

Nothing can be taken for granted. A couple of years ago Tesco built a second supermarket in Chonburi, no alcohol sold there. My wife gets a bit annoyed driving past it to go to the other. I had hoped that when Lotus took over the policy would change but not so far.

Fortunately, generally speaking it is not really a problem.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 12:24 PM, RickG16 said:

I wouldn't read too much into being near Malaysia. After all, alcohol is readily available in Malaysia. 

Not in the Malaysian states that border with Thailand.

On 3/29/2023 at 12:36 PM, Stocky said:

It's possible in some rural parts of Narathiwat, Yala, and Pattani that a 7-11 might not sell alcohol, but 7-11s in the main towns will. Note that many resorts/hotels in the deep south are halal, so pork and alcohol free. Certainly in Songkhla, Trang and Satun you won't have an issue. It's the east coast that is more conservative, if you cross into Malaysia then in both Kelantan and northern Terengganu you'll find areas where alcohol is hard to find.

Correct. I had to do covid quarantine in Tok Bali (Terengganu) and the only places where beer was a remote possibility was in the Malay-Chinese restaurants. That might also be the case in those southern Thai provinces so maybe the OP can check the Thai-Chinese places?