How Far Back Can You Remember?

This is not related to Thailand but I think it may be interesting. In the News now is a woman who says she is Maddy who disappeared age 5 about 16 years ago. It is reported she only has vague memories if something she remembers when she was about 5 years old.

How Far Back Can You Remember? I remember at 4 years old talking to my pal at the back of the house where I lived, who was 5 and at school. I remember telling him I was 4 and cannot go to school yet. I can remember where this was said and all the houses, walls trees and an old wash house nearby.

Another thing, I can pick off nearly all the names of the children who I started school with at 5 years old.

What about you?

• Like 1

I read somewhere that children cannot remember much before three years old. So why celebrate Birthdays or Christmas for them before that. 555

I remember watching the Queen's Coronation on a neighbour's TV (Billy Robinson, the wrestler) when I was 4 1/2, and starting school a few months later.

What's confusing about that?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 1

I have a couple of very distinct memories from 2 1/2 years old (then nothing until much older)............five of us had had to live in a tiny, one bed caravan through the winter of 1958 and certain scenes have stuck.....could always be false memories I guess.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

I read somewhere that children cannot remember much before three years old. So why celebrate Birthdays or Christmas for them before that. 555

I remember watching the Queen's Coronation on a neighbour's TV (Billy Robinson, the wrestler) when I was 4 1/2, and starting school a few months later.

What's confusing about that?

Absolutely nothing, The woman who says she is Maddy could only vastly remember one thing about being on a beach when she was 5 years old.

12 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I would be very interested to know how many names you remember from your first day at school, I think there would be an average of about 40 in the class.

I doubt I could remember from my first class but certainly my first school (and classes did tend to stay together): -

Barry Statter

Elis Moore

Pamela Wilson (got a rubber stuck in her ear)

Michael Shirkie

Mark Bridges

Kevin Hall

Carol (something).

I've got faces in my mind but can't put names to them. Must be getting old ???? 

Hmmm, that's not many and I don't remember any teacher's names!

We lived in a three decker (3 floor apartment house) .My moms parents on the 1st , My family on the second. Aunt & Uncle family on the third.

I was standing in my crib crying for my mom for what seemed like a long time. I eventually laid back down and cried myself back to sleep.

Till this day it brings back ,sadness .

Wow crazy huh ???? 

Edited by riclag
  • Thumbs Up 1

My 3 most vivid memories from age 3 which includes my first sexual encounter.

1, Heading to a Melbourne beach on a very hot morning too far to walk so in my pram,pram got stuck between a sewer vent pipe and a corregated iron fence with both my hands in the jam as well.

2, The girl next door 6 months older than I was suggested we play doctors and nurses, she showed me hers and then wanted to see mine. I obliged.

I often wondered how at that age and an only child she was aware of these things

3,Train ride MEL to SYD, stayed in a guest house,rode double decker bus to Luna Park, ferry to Manly.Tarronga park Zoo and the wide expanse of sand at Bondi beach

44 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I have a couple of very distinct memories from 2 1/2 years old (then nothing until much older)............five of us had had to live in a tiny, one bed caravan through the winter of 1958 and certain scenes have stuck.....could always be false memories I guess.

It is interesting that you mentioned your memory of 1958. I was only 6 years old back then. My father had bought a new 1957 Chevy the year before. There was a recession during the years 1957 and 1958. My father lost his job because of this in 1958 and had to sell his car. My mother was a house wife and did not work. Our family of seven also suffered during the winter of 1958. I had to walk to school in the snow with holes in the bottom of my shoes. I put cardboard in the bottom of my shoes before leaving for school but by the time I got there, the cardboard was mush. How can one forget that?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I would be very interested to know how many names you remember from your first day at school, I think there would be an average of about 40 in the class.

i think remembering the names would be enhanced if you then went onto other schools with the same children,

i vaguely remember being at a fenced off section of a junior school having an afternoon nap and drinking a small bottle of milk, maybe aged 4 or five, also a few other things prior to age 11, when i changed schools

• Like 1