How Far Back Can You Remember?

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I doubt I could remember from my first class but certainly my first school (and classes did tend to stay together): -

Barry Statter

Elis Moore

Pamela Wilson (got a rubber stuck in her ear)

Michael Shirkie

Mark Bridges

Kevin Hall

Carol (something).

I've got faces in my mind but can't put names to them. Must be getting old ???? 

Hmmm, that's not many and I don't remember any teacher's names!

I can remember all my teachers names from Primary one right up until I left, also the majority of class mates.

Here's a few of P1. David Cooper  Gillian Paul

John Rutherford Marie Brownlee

David Paterson Eleanor Mitchell

Ewan Grant  Jennifer Mears

Robin Cummings Barbara Orr

Ian Davis Fiona Keys

Gordon Robertson Carol Taylor

Alan Muir Sandra Collins

Alan Hendry Elaine Walker

Ian Riddell  Morag Jamieson

Ian Henderson  Kathleen Young

Alister Davidson Margaret Todd

Billy Syme

Jim Tolson 

James Armstrong

Alistair Black 

Neil Douglas

Douglas McAra

Drew Ballantyne

Some selected memories from since I was 2 years old, then a couple of memories for a prolonged time at about 4 - 5.

Now with 67, my ability to remember seems to fade at times - even of things that just recently happened.

43 minutes ago, riclag said:

We lived in a three decker (3 floor apartment house) .My moms parents on the 1st , My family on the second. Aunt & Uncle family on the third.

I was standing in my crib crying for my mom for what seemed like a long time. I eventually laid back down and cried myself back to sleep.

Till this day it brings back ,sadness .

Wow crazy huh ???? 

Did they ever find her?

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember the first time my dad took me fishing and soon after starting kindergarten when I was four. Also remember my dad coming home with a new Chevy when I was four or five and our first color TV when I was six or seven. 

I think my earliest memory would be riding in the box behind the seat of a VW Beetle with the kid across the street (his mom's car). Not sure how old I was, but if you've seen those boxes, we'd have had to have been small to both get in there.

I can remember when you were Possum... ?? Or is that incorrect. 

I remember my first serious Gf's birthday was Oct 20th until I just saw her obit and it was Oct 28th... and when I saw it, I remembered that was correct...

Yes, I can remember most of my kindergarten friends form the school picture and that is because I knew them from every school picture until they were 18...

Sure, I have a few memories from when I was 4... or so. 

17 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Did they ever find her?

We were always together. 
Later on in life I talked to her about this! Hey ma, why didn’t you come get me when I was crying in my crib!

She said she was down stairs and probably didn’t hear me.Apparently after tucking  me in she often went to visit her mom on the first floor. 
Thanks for asking .

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I remember riding on an open top bus at the seaside (Swanage to 

Bournemouth) when I was 3 1/2. It was cream coloured, and didn't go very fast. I was very excited because we were going to come back on a boat, but I don't remember that bit!

You were likely sleeping...

Age 5 or 6, not yet started scool. Got my first dog, still remember all that day. From the puppy arrived, playing in the garden, to bed time on the floor near me, when she was crying.

Took her up in my bed, and she went quiet, instantly. Cuddled her into sleep, next to me.

Best friend for 14 years.

Still miss my first dog, the most.

Edited by Shop mak

Easily remember things from 5 or 6 years old, now.  Probably more clear if 16 yrs old.

Remember my parents telling me not to accept anything from 'black' people, not stranger per se, but black people.

Easily remember this, as had a waking moment, when offered gum by black neighbor building his house in 1960, so I was 5 or 6.   Pause, thought, 'screw them bigots' ... Juicyfruit ????

An never, let a black person use your comb, if they do, tell them to keep it "you have another", as they are dirty and full of lice ????  What bigots they were, and wonder where they hid the hoods.

Mother told me not to date the neighborhood cutie I had my eye on ... as part Cuban, and might have black baby  ... ????  That's how F'd up they were.

Remember watching Clutch Cargo cartoons where lips barely moved, though not much else moved, smoothly.  I guess before they perfected animation.

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

How many people remember the first time you met someone with the same given name? 

How about the same full name?

I never did, however my mother did. It was when i was in my 30s and my mother flew from Texas to Colorado to visit me. She was seated with a doctor that had the same first, middle, and last name as me.

My mother was always a talker and would strike up conversations with strangers. If I recall the doctor lived in Colorado and was returning home from visiting one of his children in Texas. The exact opposite of what my mother was doing.

Roll forward about 4 or 5 years. I received a phone call one early evening asking for me. I replied with my name. They said that they were from some church and was wanting me to send them the title to some land that I apparently donated to them. I said that wasn't me as I didn't own any land and only owned my house which I definitely wasn't donating.

After hanging up I thought about that doctor my mother had met years earlier.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

I doubt I could remember from my first class but certainly my first school (and classes did tend to stay together): -

Barry Statter

Elis Moore

Pamela Wilson (got a rubber stuck in her ear)

Michael Shirkie

Mark Bridges

Kevin Hall

Carol (something).

I've got faces in my mind but can't put names to them. Must be getting old ???? 

Hmmm, that's not many and I don't remember any teacher's names!

I have a picture of my 5th grade class and I can name 70% of the kids in the picture.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I can remember when you were Possum... ?? Or is that incorrect. 

I remember my first serious Gf's birthday was Oct 20th until I just saw her obit and it was Oct 28th... and when I saw it, I remembered that was correct...

Yes, I can remember most of my kindergarten friends form the school picture and that is because I knew them from every school picture until they were 18...

Sure, I have a few memories from when I was 4... or so. 

"I can remember when you were Possum... ?? Or is that incorrect." Yes, that's correct.

Edited by NoshowJones
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I can't remember any names from nursery school, apart from one teacher named Margaret, but I have a couple of memories from then, including all the children regularly having an afternoon nap in beds in the open air in the playground. Also sitting round the table having lunch.

Did go back a few years later when I was in secondary school for a reunion. Still can't remember any names.

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

Yes, that's correct.

I think I actually saw you and your family once in Bkk/Cm hospital - maybe 3 years ago? I saw you get into a car with was it Phichit plates, I don't fully recall but an outer province you had mentioned as your home. In the hospital, you were in a wheelchair w/a leg problem but were in good spirits, a handsome silver-haired gent w/a nice looking Thai lady w/some tattoos and maybe a young man who was her son. 

And you were all in good spirits, smiling and enjoying yourselves in spite of medical issues. A happy group. Nice to see people doing so well and being happy.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, nikmar said:

I remember being pushed in a pram by my mum

9 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I remember being conceived in the backseat of a Chevrolet.

Not to be out-done, I remember going to a xmas party with my dad and going home with my mum. 

????

• Haha 2