How Far Back Can You Remember?

I remember my 2nd birthday, a few things from when I was 3, and lots from when I was 4.   I remember going to sleep after my 4th birthday thinking that I was getting old.

I was clearly paying attention when when I was 3, but not a lot was happening.

19 hours ago, Screaming said:

It is interesting that you mentioned your memory of 1958. I was only 6 years old back then. My father had bought a new 1957 Chevy the year before. There was a recession during the years 1957 and 1958. My father lost his job because of this in 1958 and had to sell his car. My mother was a house wife and did not work. Our family of seven also suffered during the winter of 1958. I had to walk to school in the snow with holes in the bottom of my shoes. I put cardboard in the bottom of my shoes before leaving for school but by the time I got there, the cardboard was mush. How can one forget that?

I can certainly remember the winter of '63......schools didn't close in those days. The snow was waist deep and it was the best part of mile's walk.

18 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

How many people remember the first time you met someone with the same given name? 

That will never happen, as my legal name, on birth cert. is 'L' and since periods used, I guess I have a middle name 'A' as it shows up sometimes.

'L.A. M____' or 'L A M_____'

Nuns at Catholic hospital I was born at said she, mom. couldn't do that, or at least throw a 'saint's' name in there as middle name, 'Joseph or John'.   She told them to get the F out of her face, or she'll give me number as a name.

Pennsylvania later changed the law, and can no longer name kids initials. So future IDs were LA, no periods.

That actually caused a issue here recently as I wanted to change my last name again.  Two different docs have it spaced and not space, so I'm now have to go to the embassy, get notarized statement saying it's me, gets translated, than have to go back to Udon Thani, to have one doc changed, to start process over again.

Way to much hassle & money, so I'm now:

LA P_______ aka LA S______

Age 4.  Being taken to a nursery school.  It was the first day.  My dad dropped me off, but he didn't leave.  He stood around the corner and peaked through the window.

The staff totally ignored me.  I sat their alone with no friends.  After about 5 minutes my dad came in, said a few words and took me home.  I never went back and just waited until primary 1.

From my perspective I just remember going in.  Sitting down and then looking around.  And then being taken home.

7 hours ago, Elkski said:

I was born July 60' I remember sitting on the floor by the coffee table and the sadness in the room watching JFK's funeral procession.  

On 'events', remember JFK, at school, all of 8 yrs old and the commotion, but it didn't really sink in, or even while watching the funeral.

We lived along the RR line, 100m away, and remember RFK's train going by with his body supposedly on it.  People lined up to watch it go by.

MLK Jr getting bumped off, and my father setting a rifle on the coffee table, and I'm (13 yrs old) and like  

W T F .... "they're going to riot"  ... I started laughing, as what black person within 1/2 mile of the house didn't know me & friends, and within a few blocks we weren't friends with.

Might go around the corner to the bar , get a 6 pack of Michelob and smoke doobies with them and talk about how F'd up that is.

Didn't sink in his / MLK's importance to them, until later, when new neighbor moved in, and I use to stop at his house, and we'd walk to school together, as they had a framed photo of him on the living room wall.

Normally I don't remember much from the time when I was young.

But not too long ago I was in the place where I grew up. And then I remembered this and that. And I am pretty sure if I would have then talked with someone who I knew when I grew up we would have exchanged some memories and then likely remembers this and that and a lot more.

Most of the time I don't think about the time when I grew up. I could try to think about and then I remember things and some more and some more. But normally I am not interested.

What I started maybe 10 years ago is an Excel sheet with information about my whole life. With information about school, my best friends at that time, my favorite music, maybe films which I remember, etc.

And with that information (like: I had this silver bicycle at that time) it is much easier to put other events on a timeline.

This one is in that list in the 1980 line ???? 

On 3/31/2023 at 12:20 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Normally I don't remember much from the time when I was young.

But not too long ago I was in the place where I grew up. And then I remembered this and that. And I am pretty sure if I would have then talked with someone who I knew when I grew up we would have exchanged some memories and then likely remembers this and that and a lot more.

Most of the time I don't think about the time when I grew up. I could try to think about and then I remember things and some more and some more. But normally I am not interested.

What I started maybe 10 years ago is an Excel sheet with information about my whole life. With information about school, my best friends at that time, my favorite music, maybe films which I remember, etc.

And with that information (like: I had this silver bicycle at that time) it is much easier to put other events on a timeline.

This one is in that list in the 1980 line ???? 

If anyone has a living parent, they should get them to write down everything about you're young life, and family history.

I was lucky enough to get my mother to write some stuff down, and learned a lot I hadn't known about, but now she's gone there are loads of things I should have asked her about.

I wasn't able to get my father to do similar, so basically I know nothing about his life at all.

I never had grandparents in the same country and they died before I could visit them, so my family history already died. I was given loads of family photos- lots of Victorian era folk, but no information about them.

Sometimes it feels a bit sad that being the only son and not having children, my family line will be extinct when I die.