Thousands of Russians and Ukrainians stranded in Thailand, including Phuket

snoop1130

In reality, Ukrainian males cannot leave the country now (18-60 years old should stay in the country, that's a military law).

Situation with Russians is a bit different. Russian males can leave the country, but that's a pure lottery because some of them (if they've been in the army - and it's a necessity for every male in Russia in most of the cases and what's worse - have some military-around profession or can just be useful to the army) will be turned back on the Russian border.

And even if Russian men not trying to get out of the country - it's still a lottery with a second wave of mobilization because army officers not looking if you have, say, 3 kids, by a law, you shouldn't be mobilized. No one cares and Russian men are being sent to Ukraine while their families are trying to get to the court with the claims, which is usually, surprise-surprise not getting anywhere.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Oh I don't know. I hear many have gone to Indonesia, mainly Bali, and there has been some backlash there. 

I was alluding to Europe (if they can make it)..or Latin America.

Good luck queueing up for visas here for eternity...

Asia is hostile to migrants, immigrants, refugees and all the rest of it 

..and that includes 'us' btw 

5 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

How?  What kind of visa.  I was at Phuket immigration 2 weeks ago and they were begging for 7 day extensions.

Have you heard of border hops? Lots of vans are running between Phuket and the Malaysian border every day. Pay a 1500 baht bribe at the border and stay indefinitely.

9 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

How?  What kind of visa.  I was at Phuket immigration 2 weeks ago and they were begging for 7 day extensions.

I thought they were automatic if another  extension request is refused. 

(And limited to a single one).

Also in the OP: 

Local Russian businesses in Phuket were initially busy with the influx of Russians, but as money access worsened, their shops and restaurants lost clientele as they were unable to pay. Some are offering payments through transfers within their home country, from one Russian bank account to another.

If this is true, it's worse than the Chinese Zero Dollar Tours. Thais are getting nothing from Russians being here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
32 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

I thought they were automatic if another  extension request is refused. 

(And limited to a single one).

I don't know the rules, but from what I saw they have to apply for a 7 day extension.  Some of them were coming back and asking for another 7 day extension and they were told they had to leave.  These guys thought they only had to go immigration every 7 days to extend.   So I think it is (right now) 45 days + 7 and then leave.  Of course some are buying business and education visas, but the vast majority can't get away with that......I think ????

31 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Have you heard of border hops? Lots of vans are running between Phuket and the Malaysian border every day. Pay a 1500 baht bribe at the border and stay indefinitely.

Yeah, but personally I don't think they can get away with it indefinitely.  Maybe 3 or 4 times.   Phuket immigration is really amped up right now.  Just my personal feeling that is.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, sambum said:

I would not be surprised if quite a few of them were homeless due to the invasion - bombs and shells don't just kill people!

No Russians have had their homes destroyed and being homeless does not prevent people from going back

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

Yeah, but personally I don't think they can get away with it indefinitely.  Maybe 3 or 4 times.   Phuket immigration is really amped up right now.  Just my personal feeling that is.

That's why there is a bribe. You think immigration crooks wanna lose this income stream?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, proton said:

No Russians have had their homes destroyed and being homeless does not prevent people from going back

Correct in what you say, but would you want to go back to try to make a new home in a war torn country, or to be forced to fight in a war that you disagree with?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wildliferescue said:

The Ukrainian people have often nothing to come home to, the Russians are just draft dodgers and cowards that should be send back. 

Why send them back? do you want them to kill, rape and loot even more Ukrainians ??

15 hours ago, swissie said:

Russians not welcome in Europe.

Ukranians can receive "wellfare-benefits" in Europe. Russians in Thailand have to "self-finance" themselves. For how long can they "self-finance" themselves? Once their financial reserves are exhausted, how are they going to support temselves in Thailand?

a) falling back on the non existent "Thai Social Security Network" or b) engage in criminal activities as the only remaining option? Likely.

There are enough Russians in Thailand to teach newcomers how to survive if necessary. They stick together. 

2 hours ago, carumego said:

They are not stranded , they are deserters

I presume you are referring to Russians - not Ukrainians? To be a deserter you have to have been conscripted in the first place - so I agree with previous posters who call them draft dodgers.

I  also agree with a previous poster who described the Russians' behaviour here pre Covid quite succinctly - the current situation has changed their attitudes and behaviour quite a lot, but  in case you think that I am only quoting "previous posters" because I have nothing of my own to say, my opinion is that once they have been entrenched here for a while, I suspect that they will revert back to form.

I still cannot forget the video of the Russian "lady" who physically attacked the Thai who was asking her to pay 50 baht "entry fee" to take photos of a tourist attraction. As it turned out, they were both in the wrong, but it was the Russian who came out of it looking like a "troublemaker"! (For lack of an expression that I can not use on here!)

• Thumbs Up 1