Thousands of Russians and Ukrainians stranded in Thailand, including Phuket

snoop1130

I thought Russia was classed as a middle income country? And now with severe sanctions , how are they managing to not just stay but as we keep hearing on visa , buying all the property up… 

I just came back from Pattaya/Jomtiem for a family trip expecting to see thousands of Russians and Chinese as this is what’s reported here . Yes there were Russian couples here and there with baby in tow but not the invasion that’s always being described.  And I saw hardly any Chinese. To be quite honest Pattaya was pretty quiet in Pattaya terms. 

Edited by goldenbrwn1

16 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

Slightly off topic, but just recently read an article about Bali locals being very fed up with the hordes of visiting (and staying) Russians and Ukrainians. To the point that they wanted to stop issuing visa on arrival for those nationalities. They described their behavior as barbaric and uncivilized.

The article said that the numbers of Russians and Ukrainians coming to the island was three times that of Australians, previously being most numerous.

can you please give me a link. thanks

17 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

Have you heard of crypto? Plus there are online p2p services directly exchanging Russian rubles to Thai baht. It's really not an issue.

The Russians have the ruble

The Ukrainians have the Rubble..

• Sad 3

18 hours ago, connda said:

To the best of my knowledge Thailand doesn't extend asylum to visitors 'stranded' by political or social upheaval in their home countries. 

Stand by for Slavic Overstay stories.

Thailand is not a signatory to the 1951 convention on refugees.

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Doesn't matter if they have money for a border bounce, they won't be allowed to do do 'visa runs' perennially, and their luck will run out eventually. Refused to enter at a land border will be a real possibility. 

The Halcyon days of visa running to stay in Thailand indefinitely are long gone.

Absaloute nonsense.

Visa runs are still going strong.

I've done more visa runs than I've had birthdays and never once had any trouble.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

So take your wife and kids back, with no home to live in, and the worry of being blown up on a daily basis, rape, murder...... 

Don't forget the lack of water and electricity. and the probability of no car and no job to go to either. Not to mention so much of your possessions stolen or destroyed.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I thought the Russians were refugees.

Previous headline

Thailand Welcomes Russian Refugees. (cant remember when this was but not long ago)

Future headline

Thailand expells Rusian Draft Dogers

And they are sent to Ukraine to kill innocent people

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TC007 said:

No actually I have been a member since 2002...

So how does that work when it says that you signed up just 3 hours ago and your member number is 368,477?

Simon (member #174)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

And they are sent to Ukraine to kill innocent people

or be killed. Thing is I reckon the poor Russians are sent in and the rich ones are leaving in droves and buying up property where ever they can.

5 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Therefore the flights are basically empty on the return journey ?

No-one on here actually knows the situation, they can't separate regular tourists who are always here in peak numbers at this time of year every year from those who may be intending to stay longer term. The scale of the situation, including border visa flexibility, will likely be more apparent in 3-6 months time.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

I don't know the rules, but from what I saw they have to apply for a 7 day extension.  Some of them were coming back and asking for another 7 day extension and they were told they had to leave.  These guys thought they only had to go immigration every 7 days to extend.   So I think it is (right now) 45 days + 7 and then leave.  Of course some are buying business and education visas, but the vast majority can't get away with that......I think ????

The Russian arrangement may differ..... as they get a Visa Exempt based on a Bilateral agreement. In the past I recall a single 7 days was given to leave the country if an Extension was refused for all...else many would be on immediate overstay. Not sure what someone would have to do if their second attempt at 7 days was rejected as near immediate overstay is not a place to be.