Looking for Good Nursery school in Phuket

SiSePuede419

Planning on getting the <deleted> out of Chiang Rai next year for most of the smoke season.

This <deleted> is getting old! ????

Wondering if anyone knows of a good private nursery school for a  Bilingual (English and Thai) 4 year old on Phuket island?

Criteria: 

1) Not too expensive.  Currently pay about B3000/month for a good private school in Chiang Rai.

2) Flexible start date preferred.  Since no one knows when the smoke season starts to get really bad, flexibility would be nice.  If not, a school that has a semester between January -April. 

3) Must allow short term students.  This is a seasonal thing, we won't be staying once the rainy season knocks the AQI levels down back in Chiang Rai.

Any suggestions for us to look into?

We're going to Phuket Memorial Day weekend this year and can check out your suggestions.

Thanks in advance. ????

Screenshot_20230330_064620_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230330_115503_Chrome.jpg

2D7DC163-B751-42F1-8C6D-A44EE5A67F1B.jpeg.22e544cb03ac7f99a3f2f6c683273f08.jpegTo point 2)

It starts with the cold season (middle November) and ends with the start of the hot season in the north (soon:).

Reason: Temperature Inversion with the layers cold-warm-cold.

Unfortunatelly there is right now a full mountain burning in the north. You wont read much about that right now.

Google:).

With the international limits for Particular Matter of 25 micrometer/m3 within 24 hours the CR area with a PM 2.5 of over 700 in the peak is 2800% over the international limit. By the way: Of course you have also a PM of 1.0:), CO2, NO, VOC and so on. 

Yes, you read right! 2.800 percent above.

I would not like to live there one night.

Move below Hua Hin. Better.

Edited by Tom H

2 hours ago, Tom H said:

I would not like to live there one night.

Move below Hua Hin. Better

So which Nursery school should I move my child to? 

That's the question.

I have family and a house and two cars in Chiang Rai.  It's very nice here when the air pollution isn't high. 

Maybe 2x cheaper than the South.

And the best weed in Thailand is grown here. 

It would cost an incredible amount of money to buy a house down south.  You probably don't know that because as you said, you've never spent one night in the North. ????

Ad by the way, Hua Hin is 240% over the international limit for PM 2.5 today, Thursday, March 30, 2023..

Where is this mythical place below Hua Hin with no air pollution above the international limit ????

Screenshot_20230330_162727_AirVisual.jpg

Edited by SiSePuede419

I think it better to start with which area of Phuket.   From your post, I'm guessing seasonal renting over what in effect is the high season for tourists, and for that period there will be a premium for rental properties especially for fixed periods of 4/5/6 months.   This year has seen an extraordinary demand for short and even long term rentals in all sectors of the market, with the corresponding rise in rental prices.

Depending on your rental budget, the most popular areas for families are in the south of the island, particularly Rawai and Chalong.   There are numerous nurseries in those areas.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pagallim said:

think it better to start with which area of Phuket

I think it's better to start with the school that meets my criteria then we'll find a place close to the school. 

I know a lot of Russians are staying in Phuket because they don't want to die in Ukraine because Russia is corrupt and has <deleted> weaponry that doesn't work so well that they've resorted to buying drones from Iran.

And I already know Russians snatched up a lot of "Farang" rentals in Phuket. 

They don't speak Thai and aren't going to get the best deals. 

I know that. 

Yes.

But this topic is about a good nursery school on Phuket island, not property rentals, 555.

Edited by SiSePuede419

You probably need to gauge a budget first. You stated you're currently paying 3,000 per month for a good private school.

Forget the International Schools that also provide nursery education, they are nowhere near that and also only cater to long term kids,  the better nursery schools are cheaper around 20,000 per month for short term placements.

https://abcnurseryphuket.com/home/fees/

Or a larger list here

https://www.phuket.net/phuket-living/education/nurseries-kindergartens/

9 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

the better nursery schools are cheaper around 20,000 per month for short term placements.

Good info.  So almost 7 x more expensive than Chiang Rai.  And people in the South wonder why people would even spend one day up North, 555.

Might just go to a more Thai location like Surat Thani that doesn't have as many tourists and pay the local price like I am doing now. 

FYI, they have "international" schools with all foreign teachers here in Chiang Rai, too. 

And yes, they are outrageous expensive, too.

32 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

I think it's better to start with the school that meets my criteria then we'll find a place close to the school. 

I know a lot of Russians are staying in Phuket because they don't want to die in Ukraine because Russia is corrupt and has <deleted> weaponry that doesn't work so well that they've resorted to buying drones from Iran.

And I already know Russians snatched up a lot of "Farang" rentals in Phuket. 

They don't speak Thai and aren't going to get the best deals. 

I know that. 

Yes.

But this topic is about a good nursery school on Phuket island, not property rentals, 555.

If the cost of the nursery is a consideration, cost of renting a property certainly will.   There would be no point in looking at good nurseries in areas where the minimum rental property comes in way over your budget.   I specifically mentioned Rawai and Chalong (and you could include Kathu also) because the range of properties in those areas  would start around 15,000 month for a typical Thai style house, up to......then there is no limit.

5 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

This is the school with teachers from the UK who supposedly are teaching the kids English, correct? ????

Screenshot_20230330_170810_Chrome~2.jpg

The management and teachers are various nationality expats.   The admin and clerical staff are Thai.   'Enrolment' is the correct spelling in UK English.   'Enrollment' is the US spelling.

Edited by pagallim
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

This is the school with teachers from the UK who supposedly are teaching the kids English, correct? ????

Screenshot_20230330_170810_Chrome~2.jpg

Yes that's the full British curriculum but they do have a Thai team of teachers to give Thai lessons. My daughter has attended Headstart from the age of 3 and she's 15 now.

36 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

So, do they learn how to pronounce English words correctly or the British way?

BTW, American English is the International Standard for both written and spoken English, not one of the dozens of different "colourful" accents from England where people eat their vowels. 

How many more words will my child learn to misspell there? ????

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

So, none of the British teachers noticed the word "enrollment" was misspelled? ????

Its not misspelled for a British School

Enrollment (American spelling) or enrolment (British spelling) may refer to: Matriculation, the process of initiating attendance to a school.

A levels and IGCSE's the academic qualifications they get for Uni are all in the British spelling version as one would expect from a British School.

Edited by Bkk Brian

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

BTW, American English is the International Standard for both written and spoken English, not one of the dozens of different "colourful" accents from England where people eat their vowels. 

Not for these International Organizations, American English isn't, British English with Oxford Spelling is the standard.

United Nations system ( UN, UNESCO, UNICEF...),

World Trade Organization ( WTO),

International Organization for Standardization ( ISO),

International Electrotechnical Commission ( IEC),

International Telecommunication Union ( ITU),

World Health Organization ( WHO),

International Labour Organization (ILO),

International Atomic Energy Agency ( IAEA),

Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries ( OPEC),

South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation ( SAARC),

International Criminal Police Organization - Interpol,

International Committee of the Red Cross ( ICRC),

WWF - The Conservation Organization,

and Amnesty International.

International English (mcgill.ca)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

So which Nursery school should I move my child to? 

That's the question.

I have family and a house and two cars in Chiang Rai.  It's very nice here when the air pollution isn't high. 

Maybe 2x cheaper than the South.

And the best weed in Thailand is grown here. 

It would cost an incredible amount of money to buy a house down south.  You probably don't know that because as you said, you've never spent one night in the North. ????

Ad by the way, Hua Hin is 240% over the international limit for PM 2.5 today, Thursday, March 30, 2023..

Where is this mythical place below Hua Hin with no air pollution above the international limit ????

Screenshot_20230330_162727_AirVisual.jpg

„…And the best weed…“ „maybe two times cheaper“. „240 vs 2500“ etc.

All clear to me. You not that dumb and not that smart as you might think.

Stay where you are. You cant afford even an air purifier for the child, you house owner you????.

Edited by Tom H

1 minute ago, zzzzz said:

LOL: for aorund 3,000 baht>>Joking right?

Try "Shining star" in Kamala, 2-6 year olds>

Indeed.   Not concerned about location or cost of rented accommodation, but wants cheap nursery.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Try Ban Mee Rak Nursery in Kathu, next to the Phuket Villa housing project - They charge approximately THB 5000/month, including breakfast, lunch & snacks. They teach English (2 days), Thai (2 days) and Chinese (1 day). They accept kids from 2yr to 5 years. All the teachers are thai, so don't expect international standards, but for kids in this age group, it is decent.

• Thanks 1