Bong shopping -- I'm confused

My lungs aren't in the best shape but I've determined smoking is the only realistic way to sample many of the wonderfully varied strains available these days.

So I'm looking for quality and as much filtering as possible.

I've determined glass is the best material and a large area for more water is desirable. 

So the only way to get a large area for water is to buy a large (expensive) bong.

But there are other options that sound desirable but also wondering about the downsides.

A large bong I would presume would mean larger volume hits -- that doesn't sound great if trying to be gentle with lungs.

Then there are options like space for ICE or removable glycerin coils you can freeze instead of ice. The problem with ice is you need to make it and it melts.

Then there are percolators which add filtering but I assume you need to increase lung power to make that work. 

Built in glass screens (sounds cleaner than metal screens)

Then there are some with carb holes (a hole you cover with your finger before the hit) which seems rare these days (old style bongs used to have them). To me carb holes sounds better than removing the pipe thingie. Am I wrong?

I saw a percolator bong described as being good for vaporizing -- isn't that illegal in Thailand like vapes?

You can't really test drive bongs at bong shops. You might buy a high end percolator bong and find it doesn't work for you. 

Here's a site with many bong options. 

ร้านบ้องแก้วคุณภาพดีมีหลากหลายแบรนด์ชั้นนำ | Bangya Bong Zing

So to you bong aficionados, perhaps you can help steer me in the right direction.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Seems unnecessarily complicated. You don’t need to make ice. Convenience store everywhere have it. Some with crushed ice. 
I see plastic bongs all over the markets. Buy a cheapo one to fill it with crushed ice perhaps. You can move up in quality once you know better what you like. 

6 minutes ago, NextG said:

Seems unnecessarily complicated. You don’t need to make ice. Convenience store everywhere have it. Some with crushed ice. 
I see plastic bongs all over the markets. Buy a cheapo one to fill it with crushed ice perhaps. You can move up in quality once you know better what you like. 

The entire cannabis game is quite complicated these days. Perhaps you missed my goal -- to be as gentle to my lungs as possible (without not smoking at all).

On that note, I have bought some HEMP WICK which is great because with it you can light your bowl without smoking toxins from lighters or matches.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The entire cannabis game is quite complicated these days. Perhaps you missed my goal -- to be as gentle to my lungs as possible (without not smoking at all).

On that note, I have bought some HEMP WICK which is great because with it you can light your bowl without smoking toxins from lighters or matches.

What is not gentle with concern to my suggestion in general?

Just now, NextG said:

What is not gentle with concern to my suggestion in general?

It's not going to be my ideal bong. There are obviously more advanced filtering options on the market these days and I'm just trying to figure out what might work best for me.

That's very good feedback @dingdongrb. If it's hard to maintain, that defeats the purpose. I remember years ago for some insane reason I bought a ridiculously fancy kitchen sink faucet. The plumber told me, this is going to cost you later to maintain it. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I have smoked for years and just decided to get a bong this year mainly to get through excess weed I bought and to get better taste for new samples,,,,,,,,to be honest don’t use it that much they seem a pain to clean and go brown really quick so inwouldnt advise spending fortunes ,I bought one below about 1100 bht you might be better with shorter glass tube if you don’t want as big a hit

C348F491-2F66-434D-94CC-A38B7A33107A.thumb.jpeg.80fa6e5581c46840e054eb698ecd5c12.jpeg

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Is there a carb hole on that one?

I think at the veey least that I want a fat bottom area to hold more water.

Yep that one has carb hole and can also drop ice into it,,,,just if you get a shorter one maybe cannot drop ice into it…

Your right way to much choice now leads to confusion 

• Thanks 1

I've always liked bongs like this. Where you can remove the stem, fill the area where the water would be with alcohol, allow it to sit overnight, and then run a bottle brush down through it.

The removable stem can then be soaked in alcohol as well.

Easy to clean. And yes, a carb hole is ideal, in my opinion.

image.png.b2430fca84b1644dea343b1f885da5c7.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, taninthai said:

I have smoked for years and just decided to get a bong this year mainly to get through excess weed I bought and to get better taste for new samples,,,,,,,,to be honest don’t use it that much they seem a pain to clean and go brown really quick so inwouldnt advise spending fortunes ,I bought one below about 1100 bht you might be better with shorter glass tube if you don’t want as big a hit

C348F491-2F66-434D-94CC-A38B7A33107A.thumb.jpeg.80fa6e5581c46840e054eb698ecd5c12.jpeg

"they seem a pain to clean and go brown really quick"

That Brown is tar that stays in the bong and doesn't reach your lungs.

I washed a bong in a dish washer once. It came out new, but there was tar spots on all the plates and cups that were also in the washer.

23 minutes ago, Joe Farang said:

That Brown is tar that stays in the bong and doesn't reach your lungs.

I really doubt all the tar stays on the bong. Yes, maybe more on the bong than in your lungs but if the smoke gets in your lungs then tar gets there too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's not going to be my ideal bong. There are obviously more advanced filtering options on the market these days and I'm just trying to figure out what might work best for me.

Didn’t realise that you were the expert ☺️
Do as the Canadians do. Get a bong you can pack with crushed ice/snow. 
Advanced filtering options….. 5555555

As aforementioned, try it first. 

49 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Aren't those vaporizers illegal here?

No. But that's my opinion.

AFAIK, things like hookahs and whatever it is they smoke in those, along with eCig rigs and the fluids consumed in those, are illegal, and maybe just to import.

DHV are not specifically mentioned in most government documents I've seen, perhaps because they are somewhat unique.

Might a policeman hassle you for dry-herb vaping out in public? Sure, so be discreet. I mean you weren't planning on heading out to Walking Street with your bong were you?

https://aseannow.com/topic/1264162-weed-vaporizer/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I really doubt all the tar stays on the bong. Yes, maybe more on the bong than in your lungs but if the smoke gets in your lungs then tar gets there too.

All tar doesn't stay in the bong, but the tar that builds up in the bong, doesn't reach your lungs

34 minutes ago, wombat said:

IMHO...

Bongs are the most disgusting dirty health hazard to anyone sucking on one.

Our lungs are not built to handle water vapor...you are effectively drowning yourself by degrees every time you pull a cone.

I have used bongs and my lungs react with disgust as I cough so savagely I have to support myself till the spasm ends.

This is how my body reacts and my opinion of them.

Your mileage may vary.

Do you hold your breathe in a sauna or in the shower?

• Haha 2

OP - i use a glass bong with the large round bottom which has a carb.  fill with as much water as you can and with very little breathing effort you can fill the remaining chamber with smoke and then take finger off the carb.  like you, i'm trying to take very small hits as i'm not as young as i used to be.  as far as cleaning, the glass bowl/stem that pulls up and out of the bong is what gets dirty.  the inside of the bong has no tar stains.  change the water frequently.  i find the best cleaning is 90% rubbing alcohol and a little salt.  one finger on the bottom of the bowl stem, drop in pinch of salt, pour in rubbing alcohol, place other finger on top of bowl, then shake it.  cleans up pretty good.  when i need to get way up into the stem to clean, i cut up a metal hangar and use a piece to stick up in there to clean the tough to reach spot (below bowl, upper part of stem).

• Thanks 1

A different way to look at it. Buy stronger herb so you smoke less and therefore have less strain on your lungs. Depending where I am, I smoke kief or shatter, both which require (for me) a single hit for a couple of hour buzz. 

• Like 1

@Jingthing,if your lungs are that bad already why would you look for trouble by smoking?

What are you trying to get out of it?

Not meaning to criticize but i don't understand your point of view.

I hate smoking,it leaves a very bad taste and it also makes me cough.

I do like the buzz i get from using Cannabis and i wish i would have tried

it 45 years ago or so.

In hindsight have of my class in school in later years was always stoned!

I never knew.

Anyways i have had trouble sleeping for most of my life and i used lots of

sleeping pills.

Four years ago or so i was giving some oil to sample and it changed my life!

I can sleep now and it is great,i only use edibles now but i have no idea about strains or tastes.

I use it to sleep and to me it is all the same.

Maybe i should start to look a little closer at other options?

Maybe a vaporizer would be ok but do you still get the smoke inside of you?

1 hour ago, jvs said:

@Jingthing,if your lungs are that bad already why would you look for trouble by smoking?

What are you trying to get out of it?

Not meaning to criticize but i don't understand your point of view.

I hate smoking,it leaves a very bad taste and it also makes me cough.

Doubt 1/2 joint a day would have much negative effect on your lungs.

Especially if, like me, you live in Chiang Mai.

• Haha 1

On 4/2/2023 at 8:28 AM, wombat said:

IMHO...

Bongs are the most disgusting dirty health hazard to anyone sucking on one.

Our lungs are not built to handle water vapor...you are effectively drowning yourself by degrees every time you pull a cone.

I have used bongs and my lungs react with disgust as I cough so savagely I have to support myself till the spasm ends.

This is how my body reacts and my opinion of them.

Your mileage may vary.

Average humidity in Chiang Mai = 75%

Oh no, I'm drowning, but only 75%.

• Haha 1