Six Thai police officers indicted for extorting money from Taiwanese actress

snoop1130

4 hours ago, Frankie baby said:

When they originally extorted the money how did they come up with the sum of 27000 Baht. You would have thought they would have made it a round 30000. Or was this the total amount that could be had at that particular time.  

The same reason a product costs $1.99 and not $2.......it sounds like a bargain.

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...doesn't necessarily mean the accused/convicted will really end up doing the prison time..."

Why?  What rationale do you base that (false) assertion on?

The past police and government officials who have had their convictions overturned or sentences cut on appeals coming years later... And/or, the similar cases where the Department of Corrections exercises their discretion to commute / lessen sentences for good behavior / medical reasons or who knows what else.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

All part of the culture Thais are so proud of in their self-proclaimed greatest country on Earth.

No different from any other nation, the Thais have their own version of 'Gods own country' or the British 'by jingoism'

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

True, but Chuwit also said (after this extortion incident) that this was part of a systemic moneymaking scheme, complete with quotas, set up and supervised by a very senior policeman. Even though he actually identified that senior policeman by name and position, the accusation was immediately "forgotten" and does not appear to have ever been followed up on. 

Which is indeed a disgrace! The trouble is Chuwit's "whistle blowing" is now seen by some as purely vindictive, and he is probably referred to as "that man" in high circles (To quote a Thatcherism!)

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...doesn't necessarily mean the accused/convicted will really end up doing the prison time..."

LOLOLOL! You must REALLY be new here! Have you ever heard of an "inactive post"?

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Just lately it looks like they are getting real with bad Policemen.   Long may it last !

Yes, 6 down, just another couple 10,000 (my own rough estimate) to go. But I applaud the effort.

3 hours ago, JCauto said:
9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

LOLOLOL! You must REALLY be new here! Have you ever heard of an "inactive post"?

"LOL" my ar_se.  You must be even newer, have you ever heard of ex-police officers being moved to inactive posts!?

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Expand  

The past police and government officials who have had their convictions overturned or sentences cut on appeals coming years later...

Such as?   Appeals don't "come years later", that's not how it works.

7 hours ago, FarangFB said:

Yes...obviously.

Not that obvious, I'd easily rather drop 27k than having to deal with a court prosecution.

I didn't ask what you would do.  The poster I responded to asked what the best and least damaging course of action would have been.   Your hypothetical choice to bribe police officers would not be the best and least damaging course as it would be illegal.

On 3/31/2023 at 2:48 PM, spidermike007 said:

Their biggest mistake was not the shakedown. It was getting caught. The joke takes offense at any cop who gets caught. It is not corruption he is fighting, but rather bad PR. 

Stop your yapping. One can do anything until caught.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/1/2023 at 3:14 AM, RandiRona said:

I think they are getting punished as they got caught rather than what they did. I am sure they thought of that Taiwan actress of Bar girl or something and now paying the price.

Correct, the extortion was all above board - getting caught is the crime. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2023 at 9:22 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well, lately, when it rains, it pours around these parts....

I think I've seen more police criminal indictments and prosecutions in the past month around here than I can recall in all of the 15 or so years I've lived here.

Of course, even if these guys are convicted as were the other half dozen just in the past day or so involved in the police housing project skimming, that doesn't necessarily mean the accused/convicted will really end up doing the prison time they're supposedly sentenced to.

Thailand's criminal justice system seems to often work in wild and wacky ways... Still waiting for the Red Bull heir to be arrested....

You're correct and in my opinion the news agencies here almost worthless as they never investigate and  follow up to the end of any of these criminal situations in an effective manner to actually show the public what the final outcome is. I guess they spend too much time trying to use words out of context so they appear to be intelligent

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

You're correct and in my opinion the news agencies here almost worthless as they never investigate and  follow up to the end of any of these criminal situations in an effective manner to actually show the public what the final outcome is. I guess they spend too much time trying to use words out of context so they appear to be intelligent

Thai news media / intelligence, you must be joking ????

I'd still like an explanation for these traffic stop actions, and the policies governing them and the police expectations from the public.

Why are they stopping cars? Is it just suspicion of DWI? If so, why are passengers subject to scrutiny (remember the police initially said Ms. An had a visa issue)? Are they assumed to be violating the law?

What is expected of passengers? What legal obligations are passengers subject to?

IMO, the police appear to have very little (none?) civilian oversight or supervision, and the purpose of these stops seems to straight up EXTORTION.

We've gone from a few bad apples, to a rotten tree, to an infected orchard. It is unrealistic to expect the public to respect the law when the primary face of the law appear to be little more than Mob Enforcers.

It is challenging to determine if corruption among the police is more rampant now, or whether it is a result of more public exposure. I suspect it's a combination of the two.

Even Big Joke has been required to bury quite a few MAJOR corruption scandals, either by dismissing them outright (Tu Hao), or by referring them to the NACC, where corruption cases go to die.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I find it interesting that they continue to say the actress was extorted and paid the money when in reality she didn't pay, one of the boys with her paid the money. He even came back to Thailand and gave an interview explaining the stop, what actually happen and that he paid the extortion money. The girl just got the publicity on her social media account for better impact. 

• Confused 1

On 4/1/2023 at 6:28 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

"LOL" my ar_se.  You must be even newer, have you ever heard of ex-police officers being moved to inactive posts!?

So you're under the impression that police misconduct is both uncommon and that when it (rarely) happens the perpetrators are almost inevitably brought to justice under the law? That seems to be what you're saying. Are you sure this is what your position is? And you're supposedly a long-term resident? The mind boggles...

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2023 at 6:47 PM, billd766 said:

I don't think so.

If you look at when you both joined, he has been here a couple of years longer than you.

Ah, brilliant detective work. I know that when I came to Thailand, the first thing I did was join up to ThaiVisa! Oh, except that this was before the site existed. Chatchai Choonhaven was the Prime Minister as I recall. Any other questions Detective?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JCauto said:

Ah, brilliant detective work. I know that when I came to Thailand, the first thing I did was join up to ThaiVisa! Oh, except that this was before the site existed. Chatchai Choonhaven was the Prime Minister as I recall. Any other questions Detective?

Even you could have managed to work that out if you could have been bothered.