400,000 baht bank account question

Good evening all. I would like some thoughts on something, I have had over the required 400,000 baht in my bank account for over two months (before marriage extension renewal) but, one week ago when it was late at night and I was tired, I was moving money from one account to the other. I accidentally moved too much money out of 400,000 baht, bringing a little bit lower than the required 400,000 baht. I was stunned when I realised what I had done and I immediately put the money back in, bringing it back over 400,000 baht. So it can be seen on my statement that the account went below the required amount for less than one minute. I assume/hope that will not be a big issue. Your thoughts/experience? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

Two questions, the answer to which might solve the issue:

#1 - Did you move the money to another bank-account that was also on your name? In that case, it would be a matter of having the Bank(s) make a Bank Statement for each of the 2 accounts, which combined would provide evidence that you did not went under the required +400K (except for the few seconds in cyber-space during the Bank transfer).

#2 - Do you have Thai dependant children? If so you could instead of applying for reason of marriage to a Thai national, apply for reason of dependant children and in that case the +400K does not require any seasoning but only needs to be available at the time of application.

Thank you very much Red. That was very helpful. Yes both accounts are in my name only and I had  probably well over 500,000 baht with both accounts combined at that moment. I will have the bank print statements for both accounts. 

Have a great night.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sagra said:

Thank you very much Red. That was very helpful. Yes both accounts are in my name only and I had  probably well over 500,000 baht with both accounts combined at that moment. I will have the bank print statements for both accounts. 

Have a great night.

If the accounts are with same bank they will do the "bank letter" showing ownership of both accounts in your name only and also both balances on ONE letter. 100baht 

Obviously if your immigration office requires 12 month bank statements you need that for both accounts.

Some office may accept photocopies of both sets of bank book pages. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, sagra said:

Have a great night.

Thanks.  Note that @DrJack54 mentioned some additional useful info re the combined Bank accounts.

And dr Jack also mentioned the option to apply for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife (1.900,- THB). 

Normally you should be fine with the evidence of both Bank Accounts, but in case the Imm Officer handling your application would have a bad hair day and makes problems, you could apply for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife (and that would give you sufficient time to season the funds). But that option is only available if you did not already use that 60-day extension option since your last entry into Thailand on your Non Imm O Visa.

Statement from your bank to Immigration must show a 400,000+ balance for 2 months prior to submitting annual application to renew. Rest of the year you can reduce the balance without any problems. They (immigration) only look at the 2 month period before a renewal application.

16 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

#2 - Do you have Thai dependant children? If so you could instead of applying for reason of marriage to a Thai national, apply for reason of dependant children and in that case the +400K does not require any seasoning but only needs to be available at the time of application.

I see this point being repeated on many threads.

But...

I've also seen several reports of IO's refusing to allow such a request when the marriage is still intact.

Their reasoning is that the provision only applies to single parents.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, unheard said:

I see this point being repeated on many threads.

But...

I've also seen several reports of IO's refusing to allow such a request when the marriage is still intact.

Their reasoning is that the provision only applies to single parents.

Thanks.  I have been looking for the official Immigration issued rules on this, but couldn't find them.  If anybody can post the link or the document that would be helpful. 

Note: As this is Thailand, different Imm Offices will apply their own interpretation to whether it can be applied, and some might outright not even allow it.

But if you have Thai dependent children it is certainly useful to check at your local Imm Office whether they would allow you to apply for your Visa/extension for this reason.

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, do you have another bank account with same bank? 

If yes then just provide both accounts.

If the account you mention is your only account then immigration will not accept.

Have you obtained a 60 month extension to "visit Thai wife" 

If you have not then that would provide time for seasoning. 

Suggest you chat with your immigration office. 

They might overlook the error. 

Actually that is not entirely correct.

I'd just did it, 2 hrs ago.

My account went under 400000 for a few hours  during seasoning. 

They accepted it, with a written signed explanation (no thai children)

It would be , just be who you got on the day and what mode they were in.  

Common-sense  must have snuck in somewhere.

My Thai partner is incredibly well versed in documents and perhaps  that helped.

Namaste ????

Edited by theOZfalang

4 minutes ago, theOZfalang said:

Actually that is not entirely correct.

Where is it incorrect.

Do you miss this part of my post.

I stated the following....

"Suggest you chat with your immigration office. 

They might overlook the error." 

Nobody can answer your question as everything depends on the individual IO on the day. So my advice is update both books and go and ask their advice but make sure they know you have options (extension etc) or they may see it as an opportunity for an unofficial fine. My friend was in exactly the same boat when applying for his first retirement extension and he was told he would have to pay 18,000 baht to fix it, which he did because he thought he would have to leave and start again. He was only days short of the full 3 months and could have simply extended his non O for 1900 baht. He was married by the way but the IO had convinced him to apply for retirement instead of marriage extension.