Push Button Pre-Charger On 2 Inverter With Parallel Battery

I have buy parts and prepare to set up Push Button Pre-Charger On my 2 Inverters With Parallel Battery. The batteries are parallel connected between breaker and inverter. So i asking my self if enable the ONE pre charger if it will precharge both? Here is a plan i found ( my data is different from the example img) But i plan to connect it same way.

Pink

Resistor Button diagram.png

Edited by Pink7

Works for me, push the button for a count of 10 then close the breaker.

I stuck an LED and 4.7k resistor across the 50 ohm, push the button until the LED goes out, then close the breaker.

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I stuck an LED and 4.7k resistor across the 50 ohm, push the button until the LED goes out, then close the breaker. I got a bit confused about  you write close the breaker.. I will precharge before connect battery (open breaker?)

Pink

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

My main is is to place button and resistor on both breakers/wires going to Inverters, then I just thinking that by pressing one button will recharge both inverters right since they are paralleled before the breaker? (Its no problem it that, just want to be sure how its working)

Pink

Edited by Pink7

20 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I stuck an LED and 4.7k resistor across the 50 ohm, push the button until the LED goes out, then close the breaker.

Led was good idea, what led to use? Can you explain close the breaker. Not precharge and open breaker to connect battery to inverter?

Pink

1 minute ago, Pink7 said:

Led was good idea, what led to use? Can you explain close the breaker. Not precharge and open breaker to connect battery to inverter?

Cheapest RED LED you can find.

"Close" = "ON", "Open" = "OFF"

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Cheapest RED LED you can find.

"Close" = "ON", "Open" = "OFF"

"Close" = "ON", "Open" = "OFF" I would never guessed it. thanks for clarification.

Do you have some good routines or rules for order to On ( i almost write OPEN)  and off all: solar power, Battery breakers, bms, inverters. My guess would be connect solar power, power on BMS, precharge and On batteries, then On inverters.

Pink

The book of words for your inverter is the place to start, failing that: -

Starting from all off.

• Pre-charge
  • On battery breaker
  • On mains breaker
  • On solar breaker(s)

Reverse when powering off.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/4/2023 at 5:20 PM, Crossy said:

The book of words for your inverter is the place to start, failing that: -

Starting from all off.

• Pre-charge
  • On battery breaker
  • On mains breaker
  • On solar breaker(s)

Reverse when powering off.

I have re read inverter manual to see if i missed any info but i cant find any details there on bust routine for on and off.

So if i understood correct:

• Pre-charge
  • On battery breaker
  • On mains breaker
  • On solar breaker(s)
  • Turn ON inverter

For close : Off inverter first, then reverse order listed?

There IS some progress here and more updates and photos will come soon in the solar project tread.

Pink

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This plan have breaker only for red cable +, I have breaker on both red and black, so i will this plan work with the button to the resistor on red +? The black - is not connected since breaker is disconnected before connect battery. Do black - side need to be connected in any way?

Pink

1540352211_ResistorButtondiagram.png.3e73a3c45829d11bf6b1e113431d868d.jpg

Edited by Pink7

40 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

This plan have breaker only for red cable +, I have breaker on both red and black, so i will this plan work with the button to the resistor on red +? The black - is not connected since breaker is disconnected before connect battery. Do black - side need to be connected in any way?

Pink

No that won't work. You will need a 2-pole switch, the second pole just needs to short across the -ve side breaker.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

No that won't work. You will need a 2-pole switch, the second pole just needs to short across the -ve side breaker.

I have this button, Would it be any problem to just wire between the negative in  and out on the breaker ( see black wire on the image) Then button with resistor on the red side.

Pink

button2.jpg

8 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

I have this button, Would it be any problem to just wire between the negative in  and out on the breaker ( see black wire on the image) Then button with resistor on the red side.

Push both buttons together to pre-charge, yup that would work.

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Push both buttons together to pre-charge, yup that would work.

Just to clarify: So one push button on red cable then black cable no button but route direct between in/put on breaker. Or you mean use 2 breaker 1 on red and 1 on black?. The 2 batteries/inverters should be pre charged and started in same time?

Pink

OK.

You show two breakers (one on + one in -), I'm assuming this is actually a 2-pole breaker, correct?

The other inverter has its own 2-pole breaker (not shown)?

Let me finish this ruddy meeting (due to finish at 4PM) and I'll draw something.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

OK.

You show two breakers (one on + one in -), I'm assuming this is actually a 2-pole breaker, correct?

Let me finish this ruddy meeting (due to finish at 4PM) and I'll draw something.

Great Crossy. I have this switch Its a momentary switch, i see 3 poles on mine, look like same as in this video. My plan was to use 1 breaker between each inverter/battery. If its better to use another switch feel free to suggest better option.

Pink

3 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

i see 3 poles on mine,

That is a single-pole switch. Having 3 terminals does not mean 3-pole. A 3-pole switch of that format would have NINE terminals.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

OK.

2 pole breakers for batteries yes

Pink

batbreaker.jpg

Edited by Pink7

On 4/20/2023 at 5:19 PM, Crossy said:

OK.

If i buy 2 more of same switches then use switch on both positive and negative, then all will be fine? So positive connect to resistor and the other just connect to 2 minus sides on the breaker.

Pink

5 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

If i buy 2 more of same switches then use switch on both positive and negative, then all will be fine? So positive connect to resistor and the other just connect to 2 minus sides on the breaker.

Pink

That would work, you have to press the + and - switches together, it would be better to find a 2-pole switch.

Alternatively, just have single-pole breakers to the inverters and retain 2-pole from battery to bus-bar.

OR

Get  2 x 50 ohm resistors and put one of them across the -ve side breaker, then you could use your single existing switch. There are many ways you could do this.

Throw in a few 10A diodes and you could have one switch pre-charge both inverters.

20 minutes ago, Crossy said:

That would work, you have to press the + and - switches together, it would be better to find a 2-pole switch.

Alternatively, just have single-pole breakers to the inverters and retain 2-pole from battery to bus-bar.

OR

Get  2 x 50 ohm resistors and put one of them across the -ve side breaker, then you could use your single existing switch. There are many ways you could do this.

Throw in a few 10A diodes and you could have one switch pre-charge both inverters.

I have 2 of this: 50R

Pink

100w.jpg

23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

This mean switch on positive and resistor on negative sides of battery breaker?

If so that's a solution!!

Pink

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

One as your original drawing, second 50R across the -ve side breaker.

ok in that case i need 4 of them. so maybe change switches better.  Any 2 pole switches you would suggest for this?

Pink

Edited by Pink7

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

One as your original drawing, second 50R across the -ve side breaker.

I decided its a better solution with a momentary switch so Im ordering 2 more 50R. What wire dimension i need for this? I have 24 awg but i guess its to thin? The holes on the switch poles for wires is on the quite tiny..

Pink

Edited by Pink7

8 hours ago, Pink7 said:

I decided its a better solution with a momentary switch so Im ordering 2 more 50R. What wire dimension i need for this? I have 24 awg but i guess its to thin? The holes on the switch poles for wires is on the quite tiny..

Pink

At 48V it's well less than an amp, 24 would be fine.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/20/2023 at 4:57 PM, Pink7 said:

Pink

button2.jpg

Back in business guys... Got up more water storage and also improved water filtering and added a waterpump. Things at times take more time than normal..I dont have quite same energy as im used to in younger days and in colder climate.

What i need now next is to get my breaker boxes ready and cabled. Regarding the pre charger: I will follow the drawing and plan discussed with Crossy. When it come to the momentary switch. Anyone know what 2 pinst to connect too? there is 2 pins in side and 2 under.

Pink