Power struggle: JSCCIB takes on govt to lower electricity prices

snoop1130

lecy1.jpg

Tensions are running high in Thailand as the Joint Standing Committee on Commerce, Industry and Banking (JSCCIB) has declared war on the government in a bid to bring down the nation’s soaring electricity prices.

The committee, comprised of representatives from major business groups, is asking Prime Minister Prayut Chan o cha to reconsider the electricity bill calculation and reduce the power tariff of 4.77 baht per kilowatt-hour (unit), reported Bangkok Post.

The current power tariff rates for businesses have increased by 13%, reaching an all-time high of 5.33 baht per unit, while households are charged 4.72 baht per unit.

Kriengkrai Thiennukul, chairman of the Federation of Thai Industries, a core member of JSCCIB, said…

“The government should consider reducing the Ft because high rates will affect the economy amidst a global economic slowdown.”

The JSCCIB plans to present a letter to the 69 year old prime minister, suggesting officials should base their calculation on an assumption that the domestic gas supply will increase.

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/economy/power-struggle-jsccib-takes-on-govt-to-lower-electricity-prices

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-04-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Gas bottle prices are at an all time high.

My missus uses a small 4kg bottle at home, the last one cost 135 baht to replace, this month it was 165 baht... 

Not even a euro u must be hard up or u have long pockets and short hands 

• Confused 2

On 4/7/2023 at 6:12 AM, hotchilli said:

Gas bottle prices are at an all time high.

My missus uses a small 4kg bottle at home, the last one cost 135 baht to replace, this month it was 165 baht... 

Up here in Surin province the police stopped the refilling of gas bottles for a month for some unknown reason . The effect was that replacement bottled gas was difficult to find but a new bottle with gas already inside was available at 2950 baht . I watched some Thais gathering old wood to make fires for cooking .  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Not at all, just saying about the hike in the price..

Nothing to do with my financial status... though it would hurt low income Thais, which you obviously don't consider from your lofty position.

no lofty  position just 1 bottle of beer less  i live here more than 10 years so also i see many price hikes so realy just live with it 

• Confused 2

18 hours ago, superal said:

Up here in Surin province the police stopped the refilling of gas bottles for a month for some unknown reason . The effect was that replacement bottled gas was difficult to find but a new bottle with gas already inside was available at 2950 baht . I watched some Thais gathering old wood to make fires for cooking .  

Some top policeman or friend of one had got a good deal on a large stock of bottles!

17 hours ago, mikecha said:

no lofty  position just 1 bottle of beer less  i live here more than 10 years so also i see many price hikes so realy just live with it 

You need to look at the broader picture if you are able . 

• Thumbs Up 1