Bangkok officials urge caution as heatwave hits the capital

snoop1130

heatwave-696x392-1-768x433.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Bangkok Jack

Thai health officials have issued a heatwave alert as temperatures rise across many parts of the country, with the Bangkok district of Bang Na expected to hit 50°C today.

According to a Bangkok Post report, Dr Opas Karnkawinpong from the Public Health Ministry says the extreme heat could pose a particular risk to children, the elderly, and those with underlying health conditions. He adds that people who work outdoors are at increased risk of dehydration due to excessive perspiration and heat exhaustion.

April is known for being the hottest month of the year and The Thai Meteorological Department says many parts of the country can expect to see temperatures above 40°C today. The mercury is expected to rise to 40.6°C in Phetchabun, 41.5°C in Si Sa Ket, 49.4°C in the Laem Chabang area of Chon Buri, and 47.9 °C in Phuket.

Full Story: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/national-news/bangkok-officials-urge-caution-as-heatwave-hits-the-capital/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-04-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thai health officials have issued a heatwave alert as temperatures rise across many parts of the country, with the Bangkok district of Bang Na expected to hit 50°C today.

Possibly with the heat reflection off all the lovely concrete.

My neck of the woods has shown 41C for the last two days at 3pm.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

Yes, agree, though that same BP source did provide a detailed explanation; the 50C they're referring to (actually reached 50.2C today) is "realfeel" some weather sites refer to this as "feels like"

I returned on Sunday from a cooler climate, simple explanation that a temperature is taken in a shaded sheltered area, so for example an 11C day may have a "realfeel" of 7C if there's a strong wind, rain - wind chill factor.

We went out cycling today, temp showed as 34C but realfeel 40C. But for us we needed another level - the heat off the asphalt was intense.

Definition:

The RealFeel Temperature is an index that describes what the temperature really feels like.

It is a unique composite of the effects of temperature, wind, humidity, sunshine intensity, cloudiness, precipitation and elevation on the human body -everything that affects how warm or cold a person feels

Also, it depends on where you stand. I once checked the temperature in direct sunlight in Bangkok and it hit 57 degrees.

• Haha 1

46c real feel here near Victory Monument yesterday. Scorching. I've been closing the balcony doors and using the air con a lot earlier over the last few weeks. Electric bill up a bit last month (still only 960 Baht though).

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, JimHuaHin said:

34 inside my home in Hua Hin yesterday afternoon.

I think the 6 inches of insulation above the ceiling is a big help. Reflective sheets behind some windows plus curtains and windows shut.

But .......31.5 is still hot any way you look at it.