Multi-entry non-O eVisa based on Thai spouse, vs. marriage extension

I applied for and received a 1 year multiple entry non-O eVisa based on "visiting a Thai spouse" (I forget the exact wording, but that's the gist of it -- it's the one that required a statement from my spouse that we're still married).

I think the practical differences between this and the marriage extension I can also qualify for in-country are

1. I cannot get a work permit on the visa I got, but I could on the marriage extension
  2. With the visa I got I'll be stamped in for 90 days each arrival, and so I'll need to actually leave Thailand every 90 days -- but I could re-enter immediately without too much risk of being denied (since it's not a tourist visa), vs. the marriage extension that requires 90 day reporting but not leaving Thailand
  3. I'll need new visas every year, vs. just continuing to extend my stay if on the marriage extension.

Is this correct? Are there any other practical differences?

The benefits to me of the ME Non-O is that the process is just vastly simpler. No criminal background check, no health certificate, no onerous documentation required from the bank (a simple statement is all that's required), no drawing maps, no visits from immigration at our residence in Thailand. I'll be in and out of Thailand over the next year and so having to leave every 90 days is a non-issue, at least for the next year or two.

Edited by tai4de2
  • Thumbs Up 1

ME Non O marriage is excellent option for you..

Valid for 12 months and if you exit/reenter just prior to expiry you would be stamped in for another 90 days.

Keep in that every entry you can obtain 60 day extension to visit wife. 

With your frequent travel you may not bother with that.

That visa can easily be obtained from places such as Savannakhet.

Few recent threads with good trip reports. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

May I ask .... under purpose of visit what did you check ?  I see under non-immigrant there is one for visiting wife longer than 60 days,  but i don't see anywhere  a one-year multiple entry.  and again applying outside my country im not eligible,  

3 hours ago, tai4de2 said:

I cannot get a work permit on the visa I got, but I could on the marriage extension

Yes, a work permit can be obtained when on a Non-O based on marriage.  The company I was working for had a person who handled that.

You may extend each permission to stay by 60 days, so you can go 150 days on one exit.  It;'s a little tricky at the end if you do the 15 day options because you'll have approximately 65 days left on the Visa. Manage it as you like. I'm going to leave, return and do my 65 days then leave again. Upon reentry (at or near the expiration of the Visa) I'll receive another 90 days permission to stay, which I will extend another 60. Yep, you can get 17 months out of a one year Non-O.

(Up to you, or not)

NOTE: I am considering an Extension based on retirement this year.  I love taking a car and driving over to Ban Phu Nam Ron, but they've been closed for a while, which has really messed up my old method. I hopped down to Singapore 2 months ago. I'm not sure where I'll go for my next trip.  Plus, the trip to Savannakhet is a arduous journey; although, I might not drive next time.  Retirement extension... maybe. 

Edited by AgMech Cowboy

As said multi entry works fine until you get tired of the travel requirement (would have been difficult during covid times).  The one possible downside is if 400k increased in the future you would not be grandfathered (if offered to extension holders).

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, ian carman said:

Is this not a non o-a visa ?

No.  The O-A is a pre approved one year stay for retirement entry.  The O visa only allows 90 day entry and can be issued for many reasons in either single 90 day stay or multi entry (valid for one year from date of issue) any number of stays up to 90 days each.

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

No.  The O-A is a pre approved one year stay for retirement entry.  The O visa only allows 90 day entry and can be issued for many reasons in either single 90 day stay or multi entry (valid for one year from date of issue) any number of stays up to 90 days each.

Is it available in the uk

3 hours ago, judokrab said:

One more thing.... cannot use the time on ME to count towards the residency period required to apply for PR or Citizenship ... must be continuous extensions.

Good point, thanks for that. 

I suppose I could use the non-O I got as the basis for the in-country marriage extension, should the need arise. Not a huge win there because even a visa-exempt entry can be converted and used as the extension basis. 

7 hours ago, thaitom said:

May I ask .... under purpose of visit what did you check ?  I see under non-immigrant there is one for visiting wife longer than 60 days,  but i don't see anywhere  a one-year multiple entry.  and again applying outside my country im not eligible,  

IMG_7382.thumb.jpeg.72c9b4f7d33c45e93fa3e1e9c1ac48bf.jpeg