Thai military delays date for new conscripts to report so they can vote on May 14th

snoop1130

A11862AD-BE89-4DDD-B591-D36CB70E45F2.png

The Ministry of Defence has postponed the date for new conscripts to report for military service to May 15th, to allow them to cast their ballots in the general election on May 14th, according to General Kongcheep Tantravanich, spokesman forthe ministry.

Conscripts who are due to leave on April 30th, after the completion of their two-year service, will be allowed to vote in advance between March 25th and April 9th. He added, however, that the number of these conscripts is small.

Meanwhile Phra Netiwit Chotiphatphaisal, a former anti-establishment student activist, declined to elaborate on whether he will show up to draw lots for military service this Sunday.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-military-delays-date-for-new-conscripts-to-report-so-they-can-vote-on-may-14th/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-04-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

54 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I'm surprised that "non-conscription" hasn't reared it's head so far, that would be a vote buyer for a few thousand young boys.

I believe Future Forward and PT have both stated they intend to end conscription.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

I believe Future Forward and PT have both stated they intend to end conscription.

Intention is not a solemn pledge.

I remember Prayut stating he would end corruption... 8 years later it appears he forgot that speech.

Edited by hotchilli

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Intention is not a solemn pledge.

I remember Prayut stating he would end corruption... 8 years later it appears he forgot that speech.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how the military react should the intention become reality if FF and PT win the coming election. I can't see those in charge of the armed forces giving up conscription without some sort of fight.

• Like 1

I did 2 years National Service in Australia 1966-68. I can tell you it was a total waste of time. Several of my mates died  in VIetnam supporting the USA when it wasn't even Australia's conflict. The other option was to loiter about all day and whilst I kept myself in decent condition I returned to civilian life a seasoned drinker. The government sent me a letter 15 years later thanking me for my service. They generously awarded me a national service medal and an Australian service medal, which I conveniently lost. Of course the severance pay was zilch.The young boys here are only recruited to break up rallies, in a real war they'd do a runner.

End conscription now. Those enlisted end top cleaning toilets and gardening for the 2000 generals in the Thai army. A ridiculous waste of resources to flatter the vanity of the well connected. Meanwhile let's have a law prohibiting army (in service or retired) from accepting positions in the Senate.