So ...your on the downhill run

34 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I've got around 110K baht/mo and doesn't always cover my expenses for 3 of us with no rent or car payments. I'd be living large as a single guy.

Your getting 110k a  baht month and U can't live on it ,am I reading that correctly?

Sorry if I'm not ,one of my eyes is currently having conjunctivitis 

5 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Your getting 110k a  baht month and U can't live on it ,am I reading that correctly?

Sorry if I'm not ,one of my eyes is currently having conjunctivitis 

Oh, I "can" live on it but when school fees, car ins and reg., tires and maint., come due I'm caught short at times. It costs to have a do what you want life. Trip to go cart track is 2K baht, eating out is in the 2K range and of course while at the mall spend money on something that catches your eye. Buying clothes for fam. Spend money on the house, some months I save, this month with Songkran I didn't.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Hummin said:

Good health cost money, or maybe more correct, if your health is not good, it cost alot of money to improve your health.

I think the second part of your statement the correct one. Still, congenital, cancers one thing but most of us could take far better care of ourselves. I'm just running through a month++ where I've lost two kilos.

11 minutes ago, Menken said:

since about the coup 2006 there's an entirely new breed of expatriate. Aircon, western food (and restaurants), cable television, the internet,

I got here in 1995 and every one of those things was non-negotiable for everyone i knew back then,  though the internet was <deleted>.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/9/2023 at 9:04 AM, Dan747 said:

It depends on your mindset, my brain still works at 18 years old, but my age of my 75 year ole body at times does not agree. I spent 6 months in the USA Hubing out of Orlando driving an RV throughout North America and the other in Thailand Hubing out of our house in Ubon where we also travel. Family's genes are pretty good and 83 is out of the question. I'll be pushing my life into the 90's looking at 100. I am "LUCKY and BLESSED!" Happy Travels and GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!

PS: georgegeorgia you need an "Attitude Check and should be a little more Positive!"

Hubing??

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I just don't think about death much. When it comes it comes. For me, it is all about squeezing every day for what it is worth, and making sure that life is fulfilling. For me, it is. And I am grateful for that. I am also grateful that I don't have to live in the US anymore. My frequent visits are plenty. 

I do exercise, eat well, take alot of herbs and supplements, etc. Is that done to extend my life, or to try to ensure that the remaining years are as healthy as possible? I think, mostly the latter. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

just don't think about death much.

Tbh I never did until this year then I had a fright. I realized at best I have thirty years. That made me realize at best I have 25 years of reasonable health and twenty years of reasonably good health. That means whatever I want to do with the rest of my life needs to be pretty much done and over within 15 years. Moreover, it also means that I'm pretty much done... I will be placed in a box never to wake - forever. Most importantly it's made me really reflect on what I need to do to put in place for my wife.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/9/2023 at 7:17 AM, georgegeorgia said:

So I wondered now many of you are in your 70's , are you still making bucket lists for the next 10 years you have left ?

Buy a dog and keep your clapper clapped. You are borish and annoying with your OP's.

• Sad 1

On 4/16/2023 at 2:21 PM, BritManToo said:

Most people's health issues are completely outside their control.

Nonsense. A typical rationalization for doing nothing.

HLE (healthy life expectancy), and DFLE (disability free life expectancy) are not something you can change.

No matter the self-serving Genetics Voodoo, studies show that you can. 

Fig 1

At age 50, the life expectancy free of any of these chronic diseases was 23.5 (22.3 to 24.7) years among men who adopted no low risk lifestyle factors and 31.1 (29.5 to 32.5) years in men who adopted four or five low risk lifestyle factors. . . . Adherence to a healthy lifestyle at mid-life is associated with a longer life expectancy free of major chronic diseases.

--Healthy lifestyle and life expectancy free of cancer, cardiovascular disease, and type 2 diabetes: prospective cohort study

The way to increase healthspan, postponing metabolic diseases, is always the same:

Don’t be fat

Lift weights

Do cardio

Eat healthy

Don't smoke

Drink only moderately, if at all

Get enough sleep

Socialize

Avoid air pollution

It appears the longevity genes, if you happen to have them, only kick in around age 70, if you make it that far. What they do is--postpone metabolic disease, same as you can do to a great extent with a healthy lifestyle.

in reality it's completely delusional thinking and merely makes their life not worth living.

Mere projection and usual sour grapes we often hear. You hear anyone healthy and fit regretting being so? Nah. You never hear, "Sure wish I was waddling around weak and fat (when I can get out of my recliner), carrying around a belly, chasing docs & meds, and worrying about my BP, ED, cholesterol, diabetes, arteriosclerosis, heart disease, etc." In fact, they're happy to feel strong, lean, and healthy and wish to continue feeling that way. No, they're not living a hard life.???? Laughable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Oh, I "can" live on it but when school fees, car ins and reg., tires and maint., come due I'm caught short at times. It costs to have a do what you want life. Trip to go cart track is 2K baht, eating out is in the 2K range and of course while at the mall spend money on something that catches your eye. Buying clothes for fam. Spend money on the house, some months I save, this month with Songkran I didn't.

You must go to expensive restaurants, If I spent over 500 on a meal I'd be concerned I was eating too much.

Does your wife not contribute to family expenses? My wife paid for her own clothes.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You must go to expensive restaurants, If I spent over 500 on a meal I'd be concerned I was eating too much.

Does your wife not contribute to family expenses? My wife paid for her own clothes.

I had spaghetti with chicken in tomato sauce today, 40bht from 7-11.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I just don't think about death much. When it comes it comes.

You will when you wake up still hurting.

For me a good day is one that I manage to get through the day without needing pain medication.

Currently suffering a sore arm that just won't stop hurting.

3 hours ago, BigStar said:

Mere projection and usual sour grapes we often hear. You hear anyone healthy and fit regretting being so? Nah. You never hear, "Sure wish I was waddling around weak and fat (when I can get out of my recliner), carrying around a belly, chasing docs & meds, and worrying about my BP, ED, cholesterol, diabetes, arteriosclerosis, heart disease, etc." In fact, they're happy to feel strong, lean, and healthy and wish to continue feeling that way. No, they're not living a hard life.???? Laughable.

I don't associate with fat people.

If they can't respect their own bodies they sure won't respect me.

All my pals were trail runners and cyclists ........... nearly all died in their 50s.

I'm still cycling 25km, 2x a week at age 67, though I'm finding it hard going in the smog.

Just now, BritManToo said:

I had spaghetti with chicken in tomato sauce today, 40bht from 7-11.

Right on!

I used to get a big box of fried chicken rice for 50 baht from a nearby restaurant that lasted me 4 meals.

For those in Chiang Mai- you may be familiar with Gekkos restaurant. Great meals on special ( different specials every day ), that didn't cost the earth, and had loads of salad on them.

32 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yep, sure a meal for 3 can cost only 200 thb, but a better place with all seafood dishes can be 500 thb ea. Sure, I could get by on less but that's not within my retirement plans.

12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Did that fill you up? i suspect most people end up eating junk to fill up

I've not had any appetite for the past 6 months.

I have to force myself to eat, else I start fading away.

I have to eat plenty of junk food and drink loads of beer to try to keep above my minimum weight (76Kg).

Currently struggling to keep above 75Kg.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I've not had any appetite for the past 6 months.

I have to force myself to eat, else I start fading away.

I have to eat plenty of junk food and drink loads of beer to try to keep above my minimum weight (76Kg).

Currently struggling to keep above 75Kg.

Ice cream and brownies will do it with whipped cream and crushed Oreos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

All my pals were trail runners and cyclists ........... nearly all died in their 50s.

The Guys is a hallowed Principle of ANF Longevity Science, often referenced as an excuse.

4.  The Guys

I know some guys who seemed healthy but have already died.

Yah, yah. We have no idea how healthy The Guys really were. They weren't overweight or by much, certainly not relative to yourself, LOL. We didn't see the medical history or the blood reports or the scans; many didn't even have the scans that would reveal preventable issues, rather like yourself, refusing to get the blood work. The running guru Jim Fixx died young because he ignored his previous history and the signs he had a problem. He may have lived longer than otherwise. But cardio doesn't automatically fix pre-existing problems, like calcification.

We also don't know about any congenital problems. Maybe The Guys didn't either. A brain aneurysm feels no obligation to announce itself before it suddenly kills you.

And we don't have a record of the actual diets The Guys were following. Perhaps like James Fixx, they figured as long as their weight was down, they could run, they felt OK, then they could just eat anything. But no. Cardio alone may not get rid of that visceral fat. A good scan will tell that story. But you don't have their scans or even your own numbers, LOL.

This phenomena—sometimes known as skinny-fat, or “normal-weight obesity”—may affect up to one-fourth of normal weight people, according to one 2008 study. “They look healthy, but when we check them out they have high levels of body fat and inflammation,” says Ishwarlal Jialal, MD, director of the Laboratory for Atherosclerosis and Metabolic Research at UC Davis Health System. “They’re at high risk for diabetes and cardiovascular problems, but you wouldn’t know it from their appearance.”

--https://www.health.com/condition/obesity/5-signs-you-might-be-skinny-fat

Indeed, one in four slim people have pre-diabetes and are 'metabolically obese’, according to research.

Also known as ‘skinny fat’ or Metabolically Obese Normal Weight, they have an unhealthy amount of fat around their organs.

This visceral fat can be more metabolically dangerous than subcutaneous fat - which lies directly unde your skin - and it can increase insulin resistance and inflammation.

--https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/848957/heart-disease-high-blood-pressure-fat-obesity

Maybe they overdid it. Maybe they had bad luck. As with the Genetics Voodoo, it's not clear how one is to know long in advance whether he’s one of The Guys or not, and can safely smoke, drink, pigout, and couch sit in expectation of an inevitable early death. So of what use are these anecdotes?

And The Guys I know who didn't follow a healthy lifestyle all died relatively young, with one exception. He's very careful about his meds, however, and does get some exercise. He MAY have the genes. Still a bit early to know for sure.????

Meanwhile, the stats are on the side of a healthy lifestyle, no matter The Guys or The Relative or George Burns.  I'll go with stats. Oh, and I have a happy life, too. ????

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 7:18 PM, Hummin said:

Gaming online playing video games can contribute to better memory and reflexes, and maybe the older we get, we should start of not already started. 

And of course, check your spelling before posting.....IF not OF.

Sudoku and Wordle are the only games I need. 

Edited by KannikaP