So ...your on the downhill run

2 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

i had a mate who died on the squash court at 45 as he didnt know he had heart disease ,didn't respond to the resuscitation either

Worked with a guy who played squash tournaments. Looked at least 10 years younger than his age. Went home from the office one evening and never returned. He was 58.

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

. . . what is life but taking on new challenges and testing one's limits. As a kid with a question, I had to ride a bike to a library, pour through cards, and hope the book I needed wasn't loaned out. Today, we have almost the entire body of human knowledge at our fingertips on the internet. Incredible time to be alive.

Amen! Strongly identify with all of this, did the same as kid. Still learning all the time. Got an interesting new project coming up that I'll report on in due course. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You will when you wake up still hurting.

For me a good day is one that I manage to get through the day without needing pain medication.

Currently suffering a sore arm that just won't stop hurting.

I feel for you. Pain bites. Hate it. Have some minor stuff, but nothing that keeps me up at night. 

I think if I ever get to the point where the pain is chronic and not manageable without opiods, I will be ready to check out. 

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Good reason to not play squash.

I had a friend who died of a heart attack at age 57 in his kitchen. He'd waddled downstairs late one night and collapsed on the floor while making himself a sandwich.

Good reason not to make sandwiches.

• Love It 2

14 hours ago, BigStar said:

How would you know, unless you played the others?

I have tried the shoot-em-up, car crash, run & jump etc games and did not like them.

Flight Simulator causes me too much stress.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

I have tried the shoot-em-up, car crash, run & jump etc games and did not like them.

Flight Simulator causes me too much stress.

But those are basic and brainless, little more than arcade games, none ranked among the best PC games of all time that you haven't tried.

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/pc/filtered

No FPS, no RPGs. Why not try the Call Of Duty series, Deus Ex series, or Skyrim.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/18/2023 at 9:10 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Did that fill you up? i suspect most people end up eating junk to fill up

I love junk food- it's yummy. Hot dogs are my favourite. I'll eat junk food even if I'm not hungry.

Isn't it a shame that "good" food is boring.

Hot dogs vs spinach and eggplant salad; hmmmm, no contest- hot dogs win.

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2023 at 10:23 PM, The Fugitive said:

Worked with a guy who played squash tournaments. Looked at least 10 years younger than his age. Went home from the office one evening and never returned. He was 58.

Loveliest man I ever knew- he was as fit as anyone would wish to be and died suddenly in his 30s.

My father never exercised in his life, and was slim and fairly active till he died in his 90s.

No guarantees in this life of ours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, who's hittin' the gym? Gearing up for the effort here. Shower, finish my coffee; post-workout protein shake chillin' in the fridge.

A little light reading I ran across today for a little inspiration:

Effects of reducing sedentary behavior on cardiorespiratory fitness in adults with metabolic syndrome: A 6-month RCT

Influence of resistance training on muscle architecture in older adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2023 at 5:23 PM, The Fugitive said:

I lost my very best friend at the time when he was 28. He just fell over while at dinner. He was supposed to be healthy.

Same thing for my wife: A friend of her died withour forwarning when he was 19. Just collapsed.

You never know when it is happening. Might be within the next minute.

• Sad 1