Advisable time between international arrival and domestic departure?

jil

I'm arriving from abroad at Suvarnabhumi airport and plan to take a domestic flight departing from the same airport.

How much time would be advisable as a minimum between arrival and departure?

Edited by jil

The answer to your question depends on the travel arrangements for your inbound and outbound flights. 

The easy way: If you are flying on Thai Airways/Thai Smile on both flights and on the one ticket, for example, you can transfer airside by following the signs. You'll clear Immigration in Bangkok, and Customs at your destination airport. The minimum time for connecting in this way is around an hour.  

The not so easy not so fun way: If you're flying another airline into Bangkok, and then Thai on your domestic flight, you will probably have to clear Immigration, pick up your luggage, clear Customs, then check your bags in again and go back through security into the domestic part of the terminal. If this is the case then depending on the time of day, I would allow at least three hours. 

I should say my comments are based on my experience of a couple of years ago, when I arrived on Royal Brunei and then went to Chiang Mai on Thai. I was turned around when I attempted to transfer airside, and was told   'even if your Brunei flight has a TG number, you will still have to clear Immigration and Customs here.'

In any event, I'd ask the airline/agent who's done the ticketing, which experience you're more likely to have. 

Edited by dundas
  • Like 2

I have sometimes had clearing immigration alone take over an hour.

And then there is the posdibily of your international flight being delayed abd thus arriving late.

If you are not going to be able to check uour luggage through to finsl  destination I would suggest you overnight near the airport as th8s removes all risk and pressure. Plenty of hotel options.

if you will be able to check your luggage through then I'd allow not less than 2, preferrably 3, hours.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I have sometimes had clearing immigration alone take over an hour.

I only know from reports about terrible waiting at international >departure< currently.

But why should arrival be much better.

It's a game of luck depending on day of week, time of day.

To the OP: are you flying in the near future? What time you arrive by schedule?

Depending on that and your final destination(?) it would be an option not to book a connecting flight and try your luck after arrival.

Worst case: overnight.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I only know from reports about terrible waiting at international >departure< currently.

But why should arrival be much better.

It's a game of luck depending on day of week, time of day.

To the OP: are you flying in the near future? What time you arrive by schedule?

Depending on that and your final destination(?) it would be an option not to book a connecting flight and try your luck after arrival.

Worst case: overnight.

I have arrived twice since start of the year. Terribly long waits both times.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I have arrived twice since start of the year. Terribly long waits both times.

Arrived via Emirates from Dubai last month. Done & dusted in 15 minutes.