Permanent Residence Application Assisstance

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you are married and work, then you have both options. It seems that makes things easier.

But personally for me that is not reason enough to marry.

Obviously. Being married and the father of a Thai child, that's what accountants call a sunk cost....

This said, even if eligible, the process to obtain PR is long, convoluted and expensive, while the actual benefits of being a PR are quite flimsy. On cost alone, having to fork out 200k so that one does not have to apply for a yearly extension of Non-O that costs 1,900 baht seems like a pretty poor investment, with a payback of 100 years... The other benefits of being a PR are of very limited relevance. What foreigner wants or needs to serve as a director on the board of a Thai public company?

14 minutes ago, LogicThai said:

Obviously. Being married and the father of a Thai child, that's what accountants call a sunk cost....

This said, even if eligible, the process to obtain PR is long, convoluted and expensive, while the actual benefits of being a PR are quite flimsy. On cost alone, having to fork out 200k so that one does not have to apply for a yearly extension of Non-O that costs 1,900 baht seems like a pretty poor investment, with a payback of 100 years... The other benefits of being a PR are of very limited relevance. What foreigner wants or needs to serve as a director on the board of a Thai public company?

PR provides a level of permanence that the annual non-immigrant visas don't. Once granted, PR has no on-going financial requirements, is not dependent upon marriage or employment, requires no 90-day or annual reports, and if one isn't planning to go abroad, there is no requirement to visit immigration ever again. It is less expensive than any of the Elite Visa plans and has no expiry date. For those with family commitments here, it is safer than relying on annual extensions that carry financial or other requirements that can change. I don't know how to put a price on that.

37 minutes ago, LogicThai said:

I think the best of it is that it gives you peace of mind. 

I think I mentioned it above, a friend who has PR told me: He can sleep under a bridge, and nobody can throw him out, ever, as long as he doesn't do anything criminal.

I think for people like my friend and me, who decided (for now) that we want to spend the rest of our life in Thailand, it's good to know that nobody can take away that right. No new regulations or whatever. Once PR = permanent residency.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

...there is no requirement to visit immigration ever again...

That's right. The only thing left to do is stop by the local police station once every five years to show that one is still alive and get a stamp in the Alien Registration book. Not even a form to fill out, no passport photos required, if I remember correctly.

17 minutes ago, Maestro said:

That's right. The only thing left to do is stop by the local police station once every five years to show that one is still alive and get a stamp in the Alien Registration book. Not even a form to fill out, no passport photos required, if I remember correctly.

That's correct, but for the first twenty years I had to supply a photo which was affixed in the red police book. When I reported after the twentieth year, I was told I no longer had to supply a photo. No form to fill out ever.