Onward ticket or not?

I'm confused about the following: should I buy an onward (throw away) ticket although I have a Tourist Visa?

Or is this not required, but do some airlines still ask for it and just to avoid any problems it would be better to buy such an onward ticket?

Yes, they always ask for it.  If you don't have it you are put in a cage.  I saw one guy trying to argue about his hotel and that 'he didn't need a place to stay he is returning the same day' they insisted that booked a hotel on his phone there and then.

Cost me $12 four weeks ago with onward tckt, came in on a 45 day Visa waiver frm Manchester UK on a 6mth Return Flight Tckt, was asked at Mancheter Check-in (with Etihad) explained had an out flght booked on the 40th day Phuket to KL, they ws happy with that did not ask to see it... Also IMO on entry to Phuket asked how long I stay thailand - gave same answear, same never asked to see it I came in... was worth the $12 for peace of mind, will use again if ever need to was easy - no hassles

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Years ago it was much cheaper to buy a return from Bangkok rather than the other way especially if you were going business class. The airlines caught on to this so did not like people going over on a one way ticket and then buying a cheap return from Bangkok. If you went over on points they would know for sure that you knew the system and would want to see a visa.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

bought a fake one last visit with covid rules....no one asked to see it

ive been coming yearly to LOS for 6 months at a time WITHOUT a visa since 2008

always one way..no visa and no return tix......i do have the cash on me tho never asked to see it either

if airline ever questions me i say im leaving LOS after the 30 days to backpack around asia

YES b4 anyone jumps on me..im aware of the RISK..im NOT suggesting anyone do it but ive done it 12 times and will do it again in 3 weeks when i return

worst case you say you lost it...go online and produce one for the $12..........this has been MY exps from US to LOS out of LAX annually since 2008

• Like 2

11 hours ago, markclover said:

Yes, they always ask for it.  If you don't have it you are put in a cage.  I saw one guy trying to argue about his hotel and that 'he didn't need a place to stay he is returning the same day' they insisted that booked a hotel on his phone there and then.

never asked me and ive been going to LOS yearly since 2008 with a ONE way tix and NO visa.....on my 3rd passport..no hotel booked either..just saying

never been in a cage--for that reason at least

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

Just my recent experiences this year visa exempt. KL to Chiang Mai no checks, Singapore to Krabi ditto.

Don't doubt your experience.

Just surprised.

I sometimes post that flights from nearby countries almost always have airline requesting onward flight.

Strange that long haul flights often do not.

Also low cost airlines eg AirAsia very strict.

As someone suggested that if there is an issue just step away from check in and book "rent a ticket" 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

On 4/12/2023 at 7:56 AM, DrJack54 said:

Don't doubt your experience.

Just surprised.

I sometimes post that flights from nearby countries almost always have airline requesting onward flight.

Strange that long haul flights often do not.

Also low cost airlines eg AirAsia very strict.

As someone suggested that if there is an issue just step away from check in and book "rent a ticket" 

Personal experiences obviously differ. My own is very much pot luck. Flying out of CNX to Osaka last week I was asked for a return flight. I pointed out that I was returning with the same airline in one week and that the details would be on the clever machine in front of her. Not good enough, printed itinerary needed. Been doing this for years, if I had a recommendation just have an 'onward flight' and avoid all the stress. $12 is cheap

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Greenwich Boy said:

. Flying out of CNX to Osaka last week I was asked for a return flight

We fly to Osaka twice a year and yes flight out of Japan always asked for.

Thai gf is given 15 days visa exempt stamp..

Info for others taking a Thai national to Japan....the airline is very strict on counting the days in Japan.

Strangely day 1 count for Japan starts the day after you arrive. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2