UK to be one of worst performing economies this year, predicts IMF

onthedarkside

2 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

The first paragraph clearly states "we decided to scale back our exports". It was their decision. A bad one it seems.

There are many other sea food exporters that took the decision to continue their exports as the same level and even expand. They are doing well.

Could you please share who those seafood exporters are? Because on balance, the results haven't been good

UK fishing industry reports Brexit woes

Brexit was welcomed by many in the UK fishing industry, but overwhelmingly it is now a cause for anger and disappointment. So says a report from the House of Commons All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Fisheries, which sets out the results of a survey of the sector...

Exporters have routinely struggled to get their shipments through the border, resulting in loss of income or, in extreme cases, entire markets, while small-scale fishers have felt unable to compete with larger EU vessels which have retained some access to UK waters until at least 2026.

https://www.fishfarmermagazine.com/news/uk-fishing-industry-reports-brexit-woes/

A story in 4 parts: Grimsby seafood factory blames Brexit as it’s forced to shut

ISI is set to pull out of the UK to focus on its European operations - despite Brexit being heralded as the 'fishing industry's salvation' by a local MP.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/a-story-in-4-parts-grimsby-seafood-factory-blames-brexit-as-its-forced-to-shut-339157/

I don't think even the aquaculture industry has recovered. And for the wild catch industry, the part in which the workers are fishermen (and maybe some fisherwomen) the results have been far worse.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

There are many other sea food exporters that took the decision to continue their exports as the same level and even expand. They are doing well.

Some examples would be very, very good to counter the documented evidence of thse who are NOT doing well.

PH

49 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Some examples would be very, very good to counter the documented evidence of thse who are NOT doing well.

PH

I explained myself fully previously. The thread has since been moderated and some of my posts removed. I shall not repost what was removed.

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

I explained myself fully previously. The thread has since been moderated and some of my posts removed. I shall not repost what was removed.

Repostign what was removed would indeed be silly.  Posting something useful, honest, open, factual....go on, show us some examples of fishing industry nusiness that are doing well because of Brexit.

PH

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Repostign what was removed would indeed be silly.  Posting something useful, honest, open, factual....go on, show us some examples of fishing industry nusiness that are doing well because of Brexit.

PH

Like I said, I did.

Not quite as you have posted though. I posted about seafood exporters that I know are doing well despite Brexit. Not because of Brexit.

52 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Like I said, I did.

Not quite as you have posted though. I posted about seafood exporters that I know are doing well despite Brexit. Not because of Brexit.

So far, the only independently confirmable evidence posted in this thread, as opposed to alleged evidence, says that the fishing industry has suffered badly in the wake of Brexit.

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

UK inflation falls by less than expected as food prices soar by 19.1%

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/apr/19/uk-inflation-falls-consumer-prices-index

according to Reuters, the UK is only EU country to still have double digit inflation.

The prospect of a 5% base rate by Autumn, potentially higher, that should attract inbound FDI and make housing costs slightly more normal.

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Somebody was telling lies:

AC54B91E-8478-406A-BC66-1AD1B66A36BB.jpeg

I would like to be able to agree with you on this point except the recent/current rise in food prices is not even loosely related to Brexit. As I'm sure you know full well, food price inflation is linked directly to the war in the Ukraine and a bi-product of inflation/covid shutdown.

• Thanks 1

Just now, nigelforbes said:

I would like to be able to agree with you on this point except the recent/current rise in food prices is not even loosely related to Brexit. As I'm sure you know full well, food price inflation is linked directly to the war in the Ukraine and a bi-product of inflation/covid shutdown.

Nothing to do with importing food to the UK being more difficult, loaded with more paperwork and likely stuck

in queues at the port with the use by date clock ticking?

• Like 1

Just now, nigelforbes said:

There's always an upside and a downside to everything, life is a series of tradeoffs, some temporary, some lasting..

This is true, but if the cause of inflation is supply side restrictions (and corporate profiteering) how is putting the squeeze on growing the economy going with increased interest rates going to fix it? 

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Nothing to do with importing food to the UK being more difficult, loaded with more paperwork and likely stuck

in queues at the port with the use by date clock ticking?

If you say so......yawn.

Personally, I prefer objectivity and realism in debates rather than entrenched blinkered closed mind fights to make everyone believe what I think is true.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

If you say so......yawn.

Personally, I prefer objectivity and realism in debates rather than entrenched blinkered closed mind fights to make everyone believe what I think is true.

Well yes me too.

That’s why I mention the increase difficulties of importing food to the UK.

There’s also the reality of labour shortages in the UK’s farming, fishing and food industries. I wonder what brought that on?

23 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

If you say so......yawn.

Me, too.

By the end of 2021, Brexit had already cost UK households a total of £5.8 billion in higher food bills – new LSE research

Leaving the European Union (EU) added an average of £210 to household food bills over the two years to the end of 2021, costing UK consumers a total of £5.8 billion, new research from the Centre for Economic Performance (CEP) at the London School of Economics finds.

And since low-income households spend a greater share of their income on food than richer families, these Brexit-driven price rises had a proportionately greater impact on the poorest people.

A previous report by CEP researchers found that leaving the EU increased the price of food products by six per cent.

https://www.lse.ac.uk/News/Latest-news-from-LSE/2022/l-December-22/By-the-end-of-2021-Brexit-had-already-cost-UK-households-a-total-of-5.8-billion-in-higher-food-bills-–-new-LSE-research

Brexit was seven years ago, people will be blaming every problem that happens on it for decades to come, simply because it's convenient and is an excuse to reinforce their personal bias. Personally, everyone will be better off it we begin debating solutions to todays problems rather than trying to apportion blame for past problems and trying overturn history.

Brexit took place in 2016, covid caused chaos from 2019, only three years later, the ensuing inflation, Ukraine, disrupted supply chains et al are still creating massive problems. Yes, the food bill increased directly after Brexit and hasn't been been addressed satisfactorily because there hasn't been enough time to forge all the new new trade agreements that are necessary, mostly because global events have overtaken that priority. 

Enjoy your debate, I have some wet paint that needs watching.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Me, too.

By the end of 2021, Brexit had already cost UK households a total of £5.8 billion in higher food bills – new LSE research

Leaving the European Union (EU) added an average of £210 to household food bills over the two years to the end of 2021, costing UK consumers a total of £5.8 billion,

£210 over two years works out to be about £2 per week per household 

£2 per week per household sounds quite different to  £5.8 billion

46 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Brexit took place in 2016, covid caused chaos from 2019, only three years later, the ensuing inflation, Ukraine, disrupted supply chains et al are still creating massive problems. Yes, the food bill increased directly after Brexit and hasn't been been addressed satisfactorily because there hasn't been enough time to forge all the new new trade agreements that are necessary, mostly because global events have overtaken that priority.

False. Brexit was inaugurated on Feb 1, 2020.

As for all those new trade agreements, economists will tell you that it's a universal economic law that the closer geographically nations are, the more trade that they will engage in with each other. Economists have labeled this phenomenon "gravity". Of course, this doesn't mean that the size of various trading partners is negligible, but rather that proximity will affect the amount of trade. So good luck with all those trade agreements.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

False. Brexit was inaugurated on Feb 1, 2020.

As for all those new trade agreements, economists will tell you that it's a universal economic law that the closer geographically nations are, the more trade that they will engage in with each other. Economists have labeled this phenomenon "gravity". Of course, this doesn't mean that the size of various trading partners is negligible, but rather that proximity will affect the amount of trade. So good luck with all those trade agreements.

Inaugurated in 2020 but the outcome was known in 2016, the date of inauguration doesn't mean diddly squat in the context of what I wrote.

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Thank you for your rebuttal. To back this up and to counter the govt report, will you be sharing with us your report on the prices in your local ASDA?

Heinz baked beans with sausages are now 2 Quid a can in ASDA , it wasn't that long ago (10 years) that they had them on special offer , 3 cans for a Quid .

I get frozen peas now to have with my dinner , instead of Heinz baked beans with sausages  

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Heinz baked beans with sausages are now 2 Quid a can in ASDA , it wasn't that long ago (10 years) that they had them on special offer , 3 cans for a Quid .

I get frozen peas now to have with my dinner , instead of Heinz baked beans with sausages  

So apparently the MacMickmanus report contends that the UK govt report on food inflation is too low.

• Haha 1