Condo purchase in teenage daughter's name - possible ? issues ?

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Incorrect. In Pattaya for example there definitely can be a difference in price, demand for foreign quota is greater than thai quota, if foreign quota isn't full then there should be no difference in price, but sometimes still is

Equally, to reverse the argument as quoted by some who say there is no difference, if the prices are the same then it could means there is a lack of demand, which is not good for a new development.

If demand is coming solely from Thais and thus no pressure on the potential foreign quota then who is going to be your next buyer as Thais are hugely reluctant to purchase condos on the resale market ?

I know a property can be moved from the Thai quota to the non Thai quota with certain agreements in place and the total sqm not being exceeded but I would never rely on that, though I would check from time to time if I thought I could move a property across as it would be more valuable.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, SGD said:

Equally, to reverse the argument as quoted by some who say there is no difference, if the prices are the same then it could means there is a lack of demand, which is not good for a new development.

If demand is coming solely from Thais and thus no pressure on the potential foreign quota then who is going to be your next buyer as Thais are hugely reluctant to purchase condos on the resale market ?

I know a property can be moved from the Thai quota to the non Thai quota with certain agreements in place and the total sqm not being exceeded but I would never rely on that, though I would check from time to time if I thought I could move a property across as it would be more valuable.

I bought a condo from thai quota, it transferred into my name as foreign quota. Thais seem to prefer paying a lot more for new rather than a good value older condo, thai logic

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Incorrect. In Pattaya for example there definitely can be a difference in price, demand for foreign quota is greater than thai quota, if foreign quota isn't full then there should be no difference in price, but sometimes still is

I am pretty sure I wrote that the price depends on supply\demand, just as you wrote here...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SGD said:

Sorry but that is absolutely wrong.

There is a quota and there is a price difference.

So in a condo building only 51% can be sold to Thai owners?

Are there specific units only that can be sold to foreigners because they are registered somewhere as under the foreign quota?

If there are only 2 identical units available for sale - 1 owned by a Thai national and the other by a foreigner, the % of foreign ownership is under 49% (so a foreigner can still buy a unit there), does the unit owned by a foreigner worth more than the other? 

I'd say the answer to all those questions is no.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Property manager of a minors property is only recorded with the consent of both parents.

No mother and father present = no deal at the land office.

A Thai divorce certificate can be presented if divorced, provided it mentions that the sole custody of the minor is with the foreign Father.

On 4/13/2023 at 2:46 PM, SGD said:

There can be a price difference--but not for every project.   The price difference mostly comes into play in areas with high concentrations of expats--like Pattaya.   I remember, as a Pattayan, buying a condo in Bangkok for the first time and the first thing my partner and I asked was if there was foreign quota still available.   Yes, indeed.   Plenty.  The sales person had a big laugh. 

There is no such thing as 'Thai quota'.  A project can have 100% Thai owners.   If you are buying in an area with a high concentration of expats, in your shoes I would buy in your name in foreign quota and then leave the condos to your daughter in your Will.   This keeps control with you and gives you more options should you outlive your daughter.   

• Like 2

Op, Buy in your name only.

Millions of condos for sale that can be in your name.

Anything else will bring you aggro down the road.

You can make a will for the assets,  no need to give them now.