Foodland, especially Foodland Sukhumvit Soi 5 in Bangkok - why is it so empty?

OneMoreFarang

I like in lower Sukhumvit since decades. For all that time Foodland in Soi 5 was my main supermarket. I go there almost daily.

In Covid times the whole area, including Foodland, was almost empty. No surprise.

But even after Covid Foodland has maybe only 10% or 20% of the customers which it used to have - at least in my subjective experience.

Why?

As far as I know there are a few other supermarkets in the area, but IMHO nothing better than Foodland.

Now, with the fewer customers, they also have fewer service people in the shop. It's a slow downhill spiral.

Does anybody know what is going on or have a good idea for some reason(s)?

Took Lae Dee restaurant, within Foodland Soi 5, is also almost empty. 

Edited by OneMoreFarang
Added Bangkok in the title
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

They stopped selling bread too.

In Soi 5 they still sell bread. But they don't have the same bakery supplier anymore, I think they changed the supplier already before Covid. Now the bakery products are lower quality than before - at least according to my taste. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

My guess is that it caters mostly to foreigners. And tourism is way down, despite what the goons are saying. Also, tens of thousands of expats have abandoned Thailand. So, that could make a real difference. 

I agree the expats and tourists are still not on the pre Covid level. But I don't think they are 80% down. And it seems Foodland business is way down. I wouldn't be surprised if they close it in that location because there are just not enough customers anymore. 

19 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

IMHO Villa is often more expensive. If I want some special cheese, then it's more likely that I will get it in Villa and not in Foodland. But for many everyday items, including fresh meet, I prefer Foodland.

Normally I avoid TOPS, at least the one below Robinson in Sukhumvit Soi 17. My reason is their attitude to hygiene. They have often meet, like fresh chicken, presented in the open where people walk through. People and touch it, people can sneeze near or on it. No, I don't need that one.

And I saw that they too meet out of sealed packages to put it on the open pile to sell it. What a stupid idea! Just that alone is for me reason enough to avoid that place - at least for anything which needs cooling and/or hygiene. 

i find villa to be the closest thing to one stop shopping available. not taking prices into account as i don't care so much about that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Good one!

That reminds me of the alcohol promotion ladies in Foodland. I think they are still there.

I never understood the reason to have them there. Do people buy more bottles if some women with makeup stand near to the bottles and play with their mobile phones? Strange. 

Think the beer companies make bundles to do their thing, and of course there will be those blokes wiv their smartphones, ogling, that will be attracted and sold a few beers, except "Bud Light", as the birds may get the wrong idea... ????

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I agree the expats and tourists are still not on the pre Covid level. But I don't think they are 80% down. And it seems Foodland business is way down. I wouldn't be surprised if they close it in that location because there are just not enough customers anymore. 

Some FLs - eg Srinakarin - you'll hardly ever see farangs, even before the panic. A lot of middle-class Thais like(d) it because it was a cut above the Big Cs.

23 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

alcohol promotion ladies in Foodland. I think they are still there.

I never understood the reason to have them there.

They have them in Villa too, and BigC (eg Rama 4). Worse than useless and don't actually know anything about their products.

Nice to know no-one has even mentioned (Tesco) Lotututut, probably the biggest loser of the last few years and deservedly so. I don't know anyone who goes in there, locals included.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, isaanistical said:

They have them in Villa too, and BigC (eg Rama 4). Worse than useless and don't actually know anything about their products.

Nice to know no-one has even mentioned (Tesco) Lotututut, probably the biggest loser of the last few years and deservedly so. I don't know anyone who goes in there, locals included.

I don't think Tesco lost, they were paid a lot of money, in fact it was ....

10,600,000,000 US Dollars..................????

35 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Normally I avoid TOPS, at least the one below Robinson in Sukhumvit Soi 17.

IMHO, the Tops Central Food Hall at Chidlom BTS is the best farang oriented supermarket in the area... followed by the often pricier Gourmet Market branches at Siam Paragon or EmQuartier.

Central Chidlom Food Hall has a newer sister branch very nearby at CentralWorld. But it's harder to get to being up on the distant 7th floor of CW, and is laid out in an unfathomable way that makes it almost impossible to find any given thing there.

I also like Central because they have the local monopoly on UK brand Waitrose products in Thailand, which fill the need for a lot of western things I like. But Foodland and especially Villa also have a few things that you just can't find at Central and Gourmet markets,  especially in the category of Mexican food groceries.

Both Villa and Foodland stock the same U.S. brand of 1 lbs bagged dried pinto beans, which are an essential for me. I've never found the same product at either Central/Tops or Gourmet Market. And Villa stocks, unlike all the others, stocks the very good local brand of El Charro salsas and frozen Mexican entrees along with the also very good El Sapo brand of salsas.

Except for stocking pinto beans and some local brand tortillas, Foodland is horrible when it comes to any decent Mexican food grocery products. And Central/Tops and Gourmet Market are almost as lacking/bad.

46 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In Soi 5 they still sell bread. But they don't have the same bakery supplier anymore, I think they changed the supplier already before Covid. Now the bakery products are lower quality than before - at least according to my taste. 

I believe, when I was checking with the local bakery staff there sometime back, they informed me in answer to my question that they were using palm oil in making their own croissants there.... That was the end of my Foodland bakery shopping.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Good one!

That reminds me of the alcohol promotion ladies in Foodland. I think they are still there.

I never understood the reason to have them there. Do people buy more bottles if some women with makeup stand near to the bottles and play with their mobile phones? Strange. 

Villa at Soi 11 and Soi 33 sometimes had the same kind of staff...though I always thought the Foodland Soi 5 liquor gals were better looking... One in particular there, at least in the past, was quite the stunner....