Songkran to generate billions in revenue for Thailand

webfact

What's that new drug craze called? 

Magic water? Happy water?

Whatever it's called, the TAT must be throwing it over each other this Songkran. 

Let's just say most of their hopes will be literally going up in smoke, that is, the agricultural burning smoke, and not the whacky baccy. 

2 hours ago, smedly said:

I know more people that leave than stay, I also know people that stay at home instead of going out - one day of this ## is ok but in Pattaya it goes on for 7 days - it really is not a nice place to be

my observation is that business takes quite a hit during this time, the exact opposite of what the OP is claiming

Plenty youngsters out of course, NOT spending money, apart from a pittance on snacks and the cheapest soakers they can afford. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

I don't know how many, if any, foreign tourists come to Thailand specifically for Songkran. I'd guess the vast majority are here already and simply join in the fun for a day or two.

Exactly. Most westerners back in western-land are pretty clueless about Thailand. They lump all these places together in their minds when they think of holidays, the Maldives, Thailand, Malaysia, India, is all just tropical and foriegn to most of them. Word of mouth usually brings new people here. And the smoke now has global news coverage.  

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile, the Kasikorn Research Centre estimates that Thai tourists alone could spend as much as 23 billion baht.

Which is 23 billion baht not spent on something somewhere else?

Just now, hotchilli said:

Which is 23 billion baht not spent on something somewhere else?

Did they all start and run wildly successful online stores during a lockdown that still has plenty shutters up everywhere? 

Because if not, where's the local money coming from? 

6 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

Did they all start and run wildly successful online stores during a lockdown that still has plenty shutters up everywhere? 

Because if not, where's the local money coming from? 

Robbed from the household budget.

The 23 billion bonanza is not extra cash going onto the system, it's money that's not going to be spent on other things.

2 hours ago, smedly said:

I know more people that leave than stay, I also know people that stay at home instead of going out - one day of this ## is ok but in Pattaya it goes on for 7 days - it really is not a nice place to be

my observation is that business takes quite a hit during this time, the exact opposite of what the OP is claiming

Here in Pattaya many shops closed, and some beer bars have 3 or 4 customers per day, nursing 1 beer over the course of 2 hours... Yes, business is booming! LOL

Others have pointed out the selling of cheap super soakers (thow away water guns that end up in the Gulf if Thailand). Plus the cheap plastic phone protectors to add to the pollution. Don’t even get me started in the air quality 

Most of the money I spent when I actually dated to go outside during Songkran was vuying two new phones and several packs of cigarettes, despite not wanting to be slathered in pasted and have buckets of ice water thrown in my face. Plus my clothes usually are so filthy and stink I just throw them out. I hate Singkran. 

Another note for those that don’t know. Songkran evolved into the sick disgusting mess it is now. Decades ago they used to put a dab of water on your forehead, represeting your sins. Then flick water on your head/face ti wash away your sins. Not the circus it is today. 

• Thumbs Up 1