Best solution for enlarged prostate that blocks urinating

Steven55

Hi all,

Old man (suffering dementia) of 80 can't pee by himself anymore, due to enlarged prostate.
Got a catheter at the moment.

Hospital suggests  suprapubic cystostomy (suprapubic catheter) = tube through opening in the belly into the bladder.

Anyone here with experience, or anyone who suggests other solutions? Removing prostate has risks of incontinence, I was told.

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Is he already on medication for this?

The reason hospital is recommending this approach is that he is likely not a good surgical candidate due to his age and co-morbidities.  and his dementia would make Rezum difficult, needs a high level of patient understanding and cooperation.

Some medication... I don't know exactly what. Have to check.
Rezum sounds like a good solution, will discuss it with his urologist.

The usual medication on the case of enlarged prostate is often herbal, I ever read various points about saw palmetto and used to get prescribed tadenan (African plum tree extract, sadly not available anymore).

Thai herbal medicine has options for this usual men trouble.

I can not remember the name but the herbal shops near Tha Chang (Sanam Luang) have large bags of 200 pills for 200b if i remember well.

If you can not speak thai just get a translation of "prostate big" on your phone and they will give you some. (every provincial cities might have an herbal shop).

I am NOT a doctor but it worked very well on me and could at least make you feel a bit more comfortable. feel free to show those pills to your doctor.

• Thumbs Up 1

0.4 gm Tamsulosin (often sold here under the name Harnal) worked well for me also.

Some doctors here say it "shrinks" the prostrate, but some medical sources state it is a muscle relaxant.

A couple of my doctors here also say that I should take it for the rest of my life ( I am 67) to prevent future problems.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Some of the herbs that have been mentioned are worth a try but the doctor gave me something called Tamsulosin and it works incredibly well. I take 0.4 mg and things "flow" like when I was 20. If I forget to take it for a day the "flow" is still strong but if I miss 2 days in a row the flow is rather weak again. Strongly recommend it.

over the counter or need a script?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

BPH is prevalent in up to 90% of us by the time we reach 85 years, so 'hoping' is not a very viable option. Accepting reality and taking action to mitigate its affect is the best option.

I was aware that a problem was likely back in my mid 60s, but did little about it until it really became a nuisance. With hindsight, I know now that I should have acted earlier.

There is a lot of really helpful information out there on the web and it really worth anyone's time to get to 'know your prostate' as early as possible in life. Don't wait until it's too late.

I'm pretty sure that most men don't even know what a prostate is, let alone what its function is. As far as BPH is concerned, ignorance is NOT bliss!

What would you have done differently?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Excellent post, good practical advice; BPH can be managed for many years with Tamsulosin, Finasteride etc. Most men try to ignore it, rather than taking the proactive interest that is needed.

I have a friend in the UK who has ignored the symptoms for years; last week he was in the A&E with acute retention, having a catheter inserted. He’s now walking around with a bag strapped to his leg, very distressed, and has just booked a private Green light laser treatment for £10k, rather than wait over 2 months for an NHS appointment … ouch

Get to know your prostate … great advice

Green light. U have no idea wot they use  ordinary hot wire OK. Had laser did the job but took far longer and expense. It grows again so prepare 8 or so years for repeat 

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Tiber said:

Green light. U have no idea wot they use  ordinary hot wire OK. Had laser did the job but took far longer and expense. It grows again so prepare 8 or so years for repeat 

Your comment makes very little sense; my friend is having GreenLight Laser Prostatectomy at the urology department of a reputable London hospital. He will not be treated with a hot wire.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Your comment makes very little sense; my friend is having GreenLight Laser Prostatectomy at the urology department of a reputable London hospital. He will not be treated with a hot wire.

Green light surgery is laser wotever grand title it commands used supposidly to seal the cutting as it performs  Think a waste of money.       Yes had it    cold steel      or hot wire if there is a next time

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1