Best solution for enlarged prostate that blocks urinating

Steven55

On 4/15/2023 at 2:50 PM, Mark Nothing said:

The nuisance of bph can easily be eliminated once you know the cause, which is inorganic mineral buildup calcifying on the prostate due to improper diet and drinking impure water. 

A good example of this hard mineral sediment buildup occurred in my toilet plumbing system when removing a 15 year old 50 liter water tank.  The incredible amount of sediment buildup released blocked water flow to my sink faucet.  Completely.  No flow.  So to get tap flowing again I removed the sediment in tap nozzle filter and removed hard mineral deposits and faucet worked again.

I applied the same principles to fix my bph flow, dribble and urgency problem.  I stopped adding to the problem and removed the calcified buildup causing the bph nuisance.

I quit adding excessive amounts of inorganic minerals to my body by eating more fruits and vegetables, avoiding denatured foods, and only drinking pure distilled water.

To remove the mineral sediment buildup already blocking up my prostate system, I fasted, exercised more, lost weight, reduced stress and worry which allows your immune system to eliminate sediment quicker.  I also drink urine which is a magic bullet breaking down the sediment buildup and returning the body to full health.

It's been about 5 years now with no bph prostate problems.

Good luck resolving the prostate issue.

this advice deserves 5 stars. I've not given myself space to write about proper diet. But, anyone drinking tap water (I've ignored filter systems, as I am not qualified to comment on their safety). has to be mad. As for distilled water, it may sound daft to say this - but buy water that TASTES good. Trust  your body. We've lived here (Thailand) a long time and have switched over time from the 20 litre containers to many 600ml brands and have finally settled on one  that (just my opinion) tastes better than all the rest. (It's not beer ???? ). With most of the drinking water products available, the biggest worry is bottled water in poorly manufactured plastic containers (just Google the topic, if you want to get truly paranoid) - which leach the plastic, over time. 

Edited by paddypower
spell

10 hours ago, xylophone said:

You ask a very searching question Dart, because none of the urologists I saw did anything other than to prescribe antibiotics, which was common and still is to a certain extent. Although I will say apart from the doxycycline, that the other doses of antibiotics were only for a couple of weeks, which really didn't make much of a difference in the long run.

Looking back and trying to remember all of the urologist/hospital visits is a bit hazy now because it was some 40+ years ago, but with the benefit of hindsight I will say that early on in the piece I did have an STI or two (being a lad about town) and I think that's what led to my prostatitis, which was totally different because it resulted in aching testicles, an ache in the perineum and also sometimes in the buttocks, and that would come and go.

Because it was treated no differently than a UTI/STI, doxycycline was dished out and did calm it down for a while, until it didn't.

Earlier in life, the general approach by doctors and urologists to anything approaching a UTI/cystitis/urethritis/prostatitis was dishing out antibiotics, without really getting to the bottom of it.

So there's not much that I could have done earlier in life, but for the younger folks out there a, couple of bits of advice: – 

– visit the toilet and empty your bladder whenever you can, something I didn't do because of a high-pressure job, so put off visits to the toilet in order to carry on working.

– Wear a condom when having sexual intercourse; always.

– Don't settle for the advice of any old Doctor, seek out the best urologist, although it didn't help me much, but these days more is known about these conditions.

And I will repeat something which I have repeated often and which the Professor of urology (sadly now deceased) told me; "this area is like a medical wasteland" so seek out the best available and don't settle for being palmed off with an antibiotic, until you have done all of the tests and procedures to determine exactly what the cause is.

You said "– Wear a condom when having sexual intercourse; always. "
Without increases the risk of prostate problems?????

On 5/3/2023 at 9:47 PM, Steven55 said:

You said "– Wear a condom when having sexual intercourse; always. "
Without increases the risk of prostate problems?????

He was referring to prostatitis which STDs can cause.

Not to prostate cancer or BPH. 

• Like 2

On 4/16/2023 at 12:09 PM, likerdup1 said:

Any side effects? I understand ED and retrograde ejaculation are fairly common with prostatectomy . Hopefully side effects were minimal for your case.

Partial prostatectomy after effects... reduced ejaculate... however firmer erections and multiple orgasms 

On 4/15/2023 at 2:30 AM, BritManToo said:

Get to know the side effects of the treatment!

Incontinence an impotence being the 2 usual side effects of all the treatments.

The only real cure for BPH is death.

"Incontinence an impotence being the 2 usual side effects of all the treatments."..... be careful in the statements you make. While Incontinence an impotence "may" be a side effect for some it surely isn't a side effect for all. I haven't had an issue with either. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Fellas, what have your reception been to combat UTI's in Thailand? I feel that I have a stubborn UTI at the moment, and "back home" with a medical history I could get a couple of calls to get a subscription. I live in Pattaya. 

Obviously, I could take the whole tourist experience ($$$) at any given hospital - but I'm looking for a more straight forward solution with Test + Subscription. If you understand my reasoning. 

Sorry if this has been posted, but I cannot be arsed to read through them all. But I read that some prostate sufferers cannot pee, and yet others say they are getting up several times in the night to do so. What's the crack?

57 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Fellas, what have your reception been to combat UTI's in Thailand? I feel that I have a stubborn UTI at the moment, and "back home" with a medical history I could get a couple of calls to get a subscription. I live in Pattaya. 

Obviously, I could take the whole tourist experience ($$$) at any given hospital - but I'm looking for a more straight forward solution with Test + Subscription. If you understand my reasoning. 

What symptoms have you got? what antibiotics have you tried? presumably no test yet

Edited by scubascuba3

On 4/15/2023 at 2:46 PM, xylophone said:

This poster to whom you replied, often posts a load of garbage, so is another one that I've put on "ignore".

And as for his statement that, "incontinence and impotence being the two usual side-effects of all the treatments" is pure nonsense, because a TURP, in the main, doesn't result in this and the new laser treatments are an improvement upon the TURP because of less bleeding and quicker recovery time.

Even a radical prostatectomy these days can result in far fewer side-effects than in the old days, especially if it is done with the da Vinci robotic machine.

I asked my urologist whether I should have a TURP., based on having an obstructive prostate. His response was to stay with the medication as long as possible. According to him, the Rezum treatment is no better than a TURP. The risk of impotence, incontinence and retrograde ejaculation he put at 80-90%.

As he has about 20 years surgical experience, with the qualifications FRCS/FRACS after his name, I am more inclined to accept his opinion than yours.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I asked my urologist whether I should have a TURP., based on having an obstructive prostate. His response was to stay with the medication as long as possible. According to him, the Rezum treatment is no better than a TURP. The risk of impotence, incontinence and retrograde ejaculation he put at 80-90%.

As he has about 20 years surgical experience, with the qualifications FRCS/FRACS after his name, I am more inclined to accept his opinion than yours.

Actually I agree with you and my post was really about a TURP and I experienced none of those side effects after mine, neither did a couple of friends who had it done.........and my urologist was also very experienced. As for Rezum, plenty of posts on that.

3 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

You can get a culture and sensitivity test at any hospital of lab but may gave to insist on it as Thai doctors often like to prescribe without it (not a good idea).

I sm not sure what you mean by  "whole tourist experience". You make a direct appointment with a urologist at a hospital outpatient clinic.. have a consultation (and hopefully a test as per above) and get medication advised. Unless it is a very rare medication, can usually skip on buying it from hospital pharmacy and save by buying it at an outside pharmacy  

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

You can get a culture and sensitivity test at any hospital of lab but may gave to insist on it as Thai doctors often like to prescribe without it (not a good idea).

Agree with Sheryl..........you should insist on a culture, otherwise you will be given any number of antibiotics to try and fix the problem. Basically a shot in the dark, and very often unsuccessful.

On 5/2/2023 at 10:03 PM, Northstar1 said:

Let me guess Brit man,

you drank 6 beers, smoked a Rasta sized joint and did some nettle root and felt better?

of course it worked!

????????????????????

I took massive doses of antibiotics (the tendon snapping kind) over a 3 month period at the start of 2022, and all my prostate problems went away, symptom free for over a year now.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Love It 1

On 4/15/2023 at 2:50 PM, Mark Nothing said:

The nuisance of bph can easily be eliminated once you know the cause, which is inorganic mineral buildup calcifying on the prostate due to improper diet and drinking impure water. 

A good example of this hard mineral sediment buildup occurred in my toilet plumbing system when removing a 15 year old 50 liter water tank.  The incredible amount of sediment buildup released blocked water flow to my sink faucet.  Completely.  No flow.  So to get tap flowing again I removed the sediment in tap nozzle filter and removed hard mineral deposits and faucet worked again.

I applied the same principles to fix my bph flow, dribble and urgency problem.  I stopped adding to the problem and removed the calcified buildup causing the bph nuisance.

I quit adding excessive amounts of inorganic minerals to my body by eating more fruits and vegetables, avoiding denatured foods, and only drinking pure distilled water.

To remove the mineral sediment buildup already blocking up my prostate system, I fasted, exercised more, lost weight, reduced stress and worry which allows your immune system to eliminate sediment quicker.  I also drink urine which is a magic bullet breaking down the sediment buildup and returning the body to full health.

It's been about 5 years now with no bph prostate problems.

Good luck resolving the prostate issue.

Been weight training over 50 years, following a very healthy diet, including fish, chicken, beef, vegetables, whole grains, fruits, salads, low fat, no dairy besides occasional yogurt, coffee, tea, water, no sugar drinks, no extra sugar, and supplements. Never been overweight. When I hit 50 or so, it started, just as it does for everyone, and some days it's hard to get flow started, and go usually 2 times a night, although sometimes more than 4. Just happens, and I will be looking into taking something soon, as it's a pain in the arse that we all must face.

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I took massive doses of antibiotics (the tendon snapping kind) over a 3 month period at the start of 2022, and all my prostate problems went away, symptom free for over a year now.

That would be Cipro ... describe massive ?

Normal dose for UTI: "Oral:  Immediate-release: 250 to 500 mg orally every 12 hours for 7 to 14 days"

I'm reading some dosage for other things, 750mg for 2 weeks to 2 months, so how much more did you take than 750mg 2X a day.

3 months is a really long time for any antibiotic, did you notice results within the 1st week?

Edited by KhunLA

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Normal dose for UTI: "Oral:
Immediate-release: 250 to 500 mg orally every 12 hours for 7 to 14 days"

3 months is a really long time for any antibiotic, did you notice results within the 1st week?

Antibiotics should only be taken for at most two weeks. Taking them longer leads to bacteria become resistant to antibiotics. They also cause stomach problems. Only rarely will a doctor prescribe them for an infection lasting longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

Antibiotics should only be taken for at most two weeks. Taking them longer leads to bacteria become resistant to antibiotics. They also cause stomach problems. Only rarely will a doctor prescribe them for an infection lasting longer.

Yes I know, and probiotics should be taken during and after antibiotic use.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Obviously my two urologists in New Zealand don't agree with you, because I was taking doxycycline for sometimes 90 days to try and cure my prostatitis, and although it didn't cure it completely, at least the symptoms went away for that period of time, but soon after I stopped, they came back.

Just a few years ago I got in touch with two professors of urology, one in Australia and one in London because I was having some prostatitis-like symptoms (more like cystitis) and nothing seemed to work, and they sent me some of the research they had been doing on this and the prostate and it was surprising how many combinations of antibiotics they had tried, and for long periods, before finding a combination that was successful, which I used and it worked.

I wouldn't take ciprofloxacin for that period of time, nor did they recommend that antibiotic, but a combination which did work.

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

Obviously my two urologists in New Zealand don't agree with you, because I was taking doxycycline for sometimes 90 days to try and cure my prostatitis, and although it didn't cure it completely, at least the symptoms went away for that period of time, but soon after I stopped, they came back.

Just a few years ago I got in touch with two professors of urology, one in Australia and one in London because I was having some prostatitis-like symptoms (more like cystitis) and nothing seemed to work, and they sent me some of the research they had been doing on this and the prostate and it was surprising how many combinations of antibiotics they had tried, and for long periods, before finding a combination that was successful, which I used and it worked.

I wouldn't take ciprofloxacin for that period of time, nor did they recommend that antibiotic, but a combination which did work.

Like I said, there are times when a period may last longer than 2 weeks, but that's up to a professional to decide, and many doctors are quick to prescribe without thinking, or caring, of the after affects. Your body can get used to taking them, and after awhile, they either may not work, or the side effects can be dangerous. I'm not a real believer in doctors prescribing habits, although they are necessary much of the time.

17 minutes ago, xylophone said:

before finding a combination that was successful, which I used and it worked.

And ... care to share ?

We know, you're not a doc and no lawsuit to follow, as due diligence to follow any thoughts, as always.  But clue us in ... please.

Cipro gives me a headache, so not sure if more intense if a double dose taken..   But if results seen in first week, then I'd be game to take for a month.   Get an ultrasound and see if prostate was shrinking.

Edited by KhunLA

5 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

One of those "rare"  situations is prostate infections. Which do require lengthy courses of antibiotics.

Other exceptions include osteomyelitis (infection of bone).

6-12 week courses  are the norm for such infections. And it sometimes needs to be longer. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Normal dose for UTI: "Oral:  Immediate-release: 250 to 500 mg orally every 12 hours for 7 to 14 days"

I'm reading some dosage for other things, 750mg for 2 weeks to 2 months, so how much more did you take than 750mg 2X a day.

Levofloxacin, 250mg morning and evening for the first 14 days of 3 months.

Results in first 2 days, but reduced symptoms came back at end of each of first 2 months. No exercise on days when I took the Levofloxacin, didn't want any tendon damage.

After the 3rd month could wee normally all the time, still some blood in urine after exercise, stopped taking Doxazosin, gradually reduced the dose to nothing over a period of 3 months.

18 months later still able to wee normally and no blood in urine for past 12 months.

I always wondered if the blood in my urine after exercise was a side effect of the previous 2+ years use of Doxazosin.

PS.

CIpro didn't really work at all for me on this problem, but it's always been great for treating infected insect bites and other skin infections (Fi lam tung).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Levofloxacin, 250mg morning and evening for the first 14 days of 3 months.

Results in first 2 days, but reduced symptoms came back at end of each of first 2 months. No exercise on days when I took the Levofloxacin, didn't want any tendon damage.

After the 3rd month could wee normally all the time, still some blood in urine after exercise, stopped taking Doxazosin.

18 months later still able to wee normally and no blood in urine for past 12 months.

I always wondered if the blood in my urine after exercise was a side effect of the previous 2+ years use of Doxazosin.

THANKS ????

Cipro has the same 'tendon' warnings ????

Edited by KhunLA

59 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

And ... care to share ?

We know, you're not a doc and no lawsuit to follow, as due diligence to follow any thoughts, as always.  But clue us in ... please.

Cipro gives me a headache, so not sure if more intense if a double dose taken..   But if results seen in first week, then I'd be game to take for a month.   Get an ultrasound and see if prostate was shrinking.

Hmmm.......where to start?

Firstly I've been unlucky inasmuch as I had been suffering from prostatitis for many years, hence the long doses of doxycycline, which helped, then it didn't.

Also, because of urine retention and this prostatitis, I did suffer from fairly frequent UTIs and as I mentioned previously, I was prescribed a whole raft of antibiotics, none of which "cured" me.

I was told by top urologists and from research, that prostatitis was a difficult problem to cure because if there were bacteria present in the prostate, they would often be protected by what is called a "biofilm", so antibiotics could rarely get through this biofilm to access the bacteria. In addition to this, I had a cystoscopy in Auckland, and the urologist described my prostate as "ragged", which he thought was probably due to quite a few infections in the prostate over the years, which would tally with my experience. Also, calcifications due to the infections over the years were causing inflammatory responses in the prostate and urethra, which I mistook for possible UTIs.

Moving along a few years, I eventually underwent a TURP at Epworth Hospital in Melbourne, and the "reaming out" of the prostate actually stopped my prostate/urinary episodes, quite possibly because it removed the calcifications in the prostate.

Now onto recent times where I was experiencing something akin to urethritis, with a burning sensation in the urethra, but not all of the time, and tests revealed some bacterial activity, but not enough to be able to culture, unfortunately.

That's when I contacted the professors, whom I came across quite by accident through another member of the medical profession.

They had been conducting extensive research over the past few years on problems with the prostate and infections of the lower urinary tract, mainly because it was a problem with males, but also with females (not the prostate of course, but cystitis).

They found that fosfomycin (Monural) taken once every two days, three times in all, backed up by doxycycline, started on the last day of dosage, for 10 days, and then the use of Hiprex (methenamine) tablets, finally got rid of any stubborn bacteria or organisms which were present.

So it can be seen that in many cases prostatitis/prostate infections/UTIs are not as straightforward as we may think, and if you study the link which I will attach here, you will see that there are many other organisms which can cause problems in the urinary tract and prostate, many of which you probably haven't heard of. Not only that, many of them are not susceptible to "regular" antibiotics.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC88899/

PS. The cause of enlarged prostate is not fully understood, although hormonal activity is thought to be one probability, although bacterial activity and inflammation within the prostate could well be another factor.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Hmmm.......where to start?

Firstly I've been unlucky inasmuch as I had been suffering from prostatitis for many years, hence the long doses of doxycycline, which helped, then it didn't.

Also, because of urine retention and this prostatitis, I did suffer from fairly frequent UTIs and as I mentioned previously, I was prescribed a whole raft of antibiotics, none of which "cured" me.

I was told by top urologists and from research, that prostatitis was a difficult problem to cure because if there were bacteria present in the prostate, they would often be protected by what is called a "biofilm", so antibiotics could rarely get through this biofilm to access the bacteria. In addition to this, I had a cystoscopy in Auckland, and the urologist described my prostate as "ragged", which he thought was probably due to quite a few infections in the prostate over the years, which would tally with my experience. Also, calcifications due to the infections over the years were causing inflammatory responses in the prostate and urethra, which I mistook for possible UTIs.

Moving along a few years, I eventually underwent a TURP at Epworth Hospital in Melbourne, and the "reaming out" of the prostate actually stopped my prostate/urinary episodes, quite possibly because it removed the calcifications in the prostate.

Now onto recent times where I was experiencing something akin to urethritis, with a burning sensation in the urethra, but not all of the time, and tests revealed some bacterial activity, but not enough to be able to culture, unfortunately.

That's when I contacted the professors, whom I came across quite by accident through another member of the medical profession.

They had been conducting extensive research over the past few years on problems with the prostate and infections of the lower urinary tract, mainly because it was a problem with males, but also with females (not the prostate of course, but cystitis).

They found that fosfomycin (Monural) taken once every two days, three times in all, backed up by doxycycline, started on the last day of dosage, for 10 days, and then the use of Hiprex (methenamine) tablets, finally got rid of any stubborn bacteria or organisms which were present.

So it can be seen that in many cases prostatitis/prostate infections/UTIs are not as straightforward as we may think, and if you study the link which I will attach here, you will see that there are many other organisms which can cause problems in the urinary tract and prostate, many of which you probably haven't heard of. Not only that, many of them are not susceptible to "regular" antibiotics.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC88899/

PS. The cause of enlarged prostate is not fully understood, although hormonal activity is thought to be one probability, although bacterial activity and inflammation within the prostate could well be another factor.

THANKS, very interesting, and may explain quite a bit.  Will check out the link.

My prostate hasn't interfered with anything, just size and constant urge to P.  Apparently expanded outward of urethra, instead of restricting flow, and more pressure against bladder.  A good thing I guess, but annoying.

On 4/14/2023 at 4:49 PM, Steven55 said:

Hi all,

Old man (suffering dementia) of 80 can't pee by himself anymore, due to enlarged prostate.
Got a catheter at the moment.

Hospital suggests  suprapubic cystostomy (suprapubic catheter) = tube through opening in the belly into the bladder.

Anyone here with experience, or anyone who suggests other solutions? Removing prostate has risks of incontinence, I was told.

Thanks!

Palmetto, celery seeds ground into powder for tea and or edta.

24 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

THANKS, very interesting, and may explain quite a bit.  Will check out the link.

My prostate hasn't interfered with anything, just size and constant urge to P.  Apparently expanded outward of urethra, instead of restricting flow, and more pressure against bladder.  A good thing I guess, but annoying.

Do read the information in the link I gave, because IMO it is extremely interesting and to some extent explains the difficulty that urologists have with problems with the prostate.

There is an operation in which the bladder is lifted slightly to enable access to the prostate node/nodule, which can then be removed, with no side-effects apparently.

Other than that, I'm sure you have tried the medications available: –

5-alpha reductase inhibitors are used to treat larger prostate glands. They shrink the prostate gland if it's enlarged. Finasteride and dutasteride are the two 5-alpha reductase inhibitors available.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1