Thai Man Arrested for Defrauding American Women of 18 Million Baht in Call Center Scam

webfact

20 hours ago, Gknrd said:

look at all the foreigners that get scammed by the Thai women. And this has been written about for decades now.

Voluntarily giving money or assets to a Thai (or any other national) man, woman, wife, girlfriend or boyfriend is not "getting scammed" as in the intended definition in this thread.  The subject of this thread is a criminal offence, your inaccurate depiction of gifting as "scamming" is not an offence of any type.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The money did come from US banks and you completely missed my point. 

The poster I addressed was using the scam to denigrate the security of Thai banks ("This is one of the reason I never keep too much money sitting in a thai bank"...his words), when the banking lack of security (in his mind) in the cases of the American women was a US "banking issue", not a Thai bank's problem.  

I didnt miss anything perhaps you did though. Go back and read what you wrote as you claimed the scam originated in a US bank. Perhaps you just miss wrote????

The scammer was a Thailand and working in a call center in Cambodia. Doesn't matter where the money came from as the origin bank wasn't part of the scam, the money just came from there as a normal transfer. The US bank would have no involvement in the scam nor any knowledge. Thai and other Asian banks use very different regulations and controls and have virtually no oversight in these types of scams, nor do the assist in retrieval of funds in the vast majority of scamming "mule" accounts. 

• Haha 1